• 2 Post By Da Duke
  • 2 Post By 94win30wcf
  • 1 Post By Pereira

Thread: cast hollow point bullets for 35 remington

Tenderfoot
    Member #

cast hollow point bullets for 35 remington

hello;

has anyone taken one of the @200 grain cast bullets designed for 35 Remington and converted it to a hollow point? if so how did it work out as a bullet for hunting deer? thx for any input.

rp?
    94win30wcf and Flat Top like this.

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    no but I always wanted to. but I found an ideal mold #358315 in HP 200gr. it shoots one hole groups off the bench in my rem. model 8 with 3031 powder, haven't had a chance to shoot a deer with one yet but I bet it won't bounce off,,,,,,,,,,
    Last edited by OLSKOOL; 11-23-2019 at 11:17 AM.
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Both MP Molds and NOE make them. MP uses the RCBS 200 and NOE uses the Ranchdog 200
    Flat Top, Pereira and cajun56 like this.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Check out GT bullets. a real good H/P bullet they are for 35 rem. but are listed on page 2 of 38 cal bullets.
    cajun56 and Flat Top like this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I've got a 168gr HP mold for 357. I have shot it in m141 but only target & Varmit. I wouldn't be afraid to use it on deer but I wouldn't be afraid to use same bullet as a solid.
    Flat Top and cajun56 like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I have a few hollow pointing fixtures that I use to hollow point, cup point, "Y" and "V" point my own bullets. Over the years I have done a lot of testing with rifle and pistol bullets, and depending on what your goals are there are modified nose configurations that work well. I personally like the cup point design with a hard cast bullet. It allows for greater terminal impact force to the target, drives straighter through soft and hard matter, and limits penetration over the flat meplat design. Add a softer alloy to that and the cup point allows for expansion and greater retained weight, less nose shearing upon impact (than a soft alloy hollow point), etc. Any bullet can be hollow pointed with the right set up, so there is no need to buy a mold for the purpose.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    94win30wcf, cajun56 and Doubletap like this.
    "Overkill.............is WAY underrated."
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/new-sg35-sg444-home/

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    94win30wcf and Flat Top like this.
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Da Duke and Flat Top like this.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Bet it is.

RP
    Flat Top likes this.

Monty Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I have quite a few bullet moulds and have fooled with modifying molds to HP and in HP molds making larger dia HP. I did a 45 cal HP mold and reduced weight by milling off mold from bottom pour side. I was trying for 260-265gr. After milling I was still heavy so I modified HP and drilled it out to take larger dia pin. By depth of pin I was able to adjust bullet weight. This was a mold for 45/70 rifle bullets and I needed the dia to make bullets for a 455 Colt, at .458". In the old Colt they shot fine at reasonable distance with duplicate loads of original Brit velocity. I decided to try them in 45/70. At the time I had a Mar 1895, H&R handi and a rebarreled Rem RB. They all shot lousy with the big HP. I used blank as HP pin and poured solids. I didn't get target accuracy but they stayed in 3" at 100yds. I have since fooled with HPs both with pin or drilling. What came from all this is for handguns they work fairly well, in rifles not so well when you are talking group. I think if HP is to big and not perfect that air resistance has an effect.

Another thing that beginner casters don't realize is the difference in weight of bullets poured in same mold in same run. The bigger the bullet the chance of voids increases. Also the bigger the bullet the percentage of imperfection equal bigger deviations of weight. Bullets look fine on external appearance. Recently have had guys casting their own 45/70 and 44mg bullets and bring in molds and bullets from mold with different weights and targets with lousy groups. They are pouring bullets like sinkers and air in pour is causing both the weight variances and off center weight. Add this to crude temperature control and questionable bullet alloy and you are not going to get accuracy.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links