• 2 Post By rel7
  • 3 Post By bryan alder
  • 1 Post By BubbaJon
  • 2 Post By rickt300

Thread: Velocity and the WFN design

Deadeye
    Member #

Velocity and the WFN design

Is there a velocity range the WFN style bullets work best at?

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I presume you are speaking of cast bullets -- the WFN needs to travel fast enough for the twist rate to stabilize it, so it's accuracy needs a minimum velocity to achieve a stable rotation. WFN cast in my experience seem to impart more trauma to an animal than smaller nose profiles. Generally a WFN needs to be seated deeper (shorter OAL) for a given weight to be able to reliably chamber from the magazine, which reduces powder capacity and top velocity. I am not looking for top velocity when loading WFN, my reason for choosing a WFN is performance once it impacts. To get back to your question -- all bullets have a minimum and maximum velocity for accuracy and performance. I have usually been able to get a WFN to accurately shoot and feed from magazine in several different calibers and cartridges with minimal effort.
    BubbaJon and gunscrewguy like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I was actually trying to figure what the minimum velocity for a good wound channel would be. My hope is to create an accurate, somewhat quiet load that is effective at 1500 fps. From my 444 Marlin that is for night hunting of feral hogs. I have two molds, The Lyman 429421 and the LEE 310 Gr. WFN. I believe the former's nose is too long to get it to feed properly though it may work in the shorter Leverevolution brass. The 444 shoots the latter bullet well enough. Should I shoot for bone?

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I drive the Lee 310 to just over 1500 in a 44 mag, it works really well. Have not tried in a 444, however have never recovered a 310 and have shot several deer. It makes a respectable hole while not doing excessive damage. Have loaded 310 gr for a friend's contender (14") and he had 3 complete pass thru's on the chest of a bison( guessing muz vel to be > 1300) with a few rib bones hit, although not a heavy bone.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Size of meplat(in inches) times velocity(in fps) divided by 4. Your ideal number needs to be in between 100 and 130

Veral Smith - Jacketed Performance with Cast Bullets
    BubbaJon, Judson and rob42049 like this.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I'm going to quote Elmer Keith to you:
    There ain't no such thing as ballistics with a lever gun
    Seriously - commit that to memory. Ballistic coefficients and all that mean zip in a lever gun.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJon View Post
    I'm going to quote Elmer Keith to you:

Seriously - commit that to memory. Ballistic coefficients and all that mean zip in a lever gun.
    He's actually going the other way. Killing effectiveness in a lever gun with cast has lots of potential if you forget about range
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rickt300 View Post
    I was actually trying to figure what the minimum velocity for a good wound channel would be. My hope is to create an accurate, somewhat quiet load that is effective at 1500 fps. From my 444 Marlin that is for night hunting of feral hogs. I have two molds, The Lyman 429421 and the LEE 310 Gr. WFN. I believe the former's nose is too long to get it to feed properly though it may work in the shorter Leverevolution brass. The 444 shoots the latter bullet well enough. Should I shoot for bone?
    Ah! That makes more sense - velocity to kill sumptin.
    That Lyman is a decent boolit as it has a smaller shoulder. Set at required COAL and you should be good to go.
    That said does your rifle need oversized boolits? That Lyman drops at 429 or even a tad smaller.
    That Lee should work great for you if your twist is sufficient to stabilize that big a boolit. The 1894 1:38 twist is iffy at those weights which is why I only use them for pistols.
    Honestly anything 1200 fps up should work fine bearing in mind over 1500 I'd either powder coat or have a gas check.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan alder View Post
    He's actually going the other way. Killing effectiveness in a lever gun with cast has lots of potential if you forget about range
    That was clarified with his followup statement.
    bryan alder likes this.
    George Orwell

Deadeye
    Member #
    The LEE bullet shows good accuracy. I generally shoot with the rifle forearm resting on my left thumb and with a spotlight in my left hand so recoil is an issue of sorts. If 1500 fps raises the rifle too far off my thumb to catch the rifle easily I will go to a lower velocity. Muzzle flash can also be an issue by temporarily blinding the shooter. Less can be more sometimes. So in the interest of research while typing this I stopped, got my spotlight out along with the Marlin and 4 loads of the LEE 310 gr. bullet pushed to 1500 fps with 17.0 grains of Blue Dot and shot them just as I would if sneaking up on bait piles and feeders. No problem, the weight of the 444 is plenty to keep it from leaving it's perch on my thumb and all four bullets hit inside 2 inches at 25 yards offhand. With luck this will be tested at the lease Saturday.
    BubbaJon and 35 shooter like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links