Acceptable weight variation?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Acceptable weight variation?

Wrangler
    Member #

Acceptable weight variation?

I'm still pretty new to casting, and was wondering what you more experienced casters consider an acceptable amount of weight variation with your cast bullets. I'm casting 420gr and 535gr for my 45-70's. My bullets generally vary within 4-5gr of each other, with occasional outliers that are a few gr heavier or lighter. The outliers get remelted, the others get separated into groups within 1gr of each other. This has gone a long way toward eliminating fliers when shooting groups while working up loads. Just trying to get a barometer on how I'm doing I guess. Thanks in advance for your input.
    PoopDeckPappy and vt4ster like this.
    Best Regards, Tim.

TEAM 45/70 #1682
    Remlin 1895GBL, CVA Hunter 45/70, Henry H010 All Weather

Deadeye
    Member #
    A variation of 4 to 5 grains on a 400-500gn bullet is a bit unusual, but nothing to be too concerned about. It's around a 1% weight variation.

The more important thing is to ensure the bullet fully forms to the shape of the mould. All edges to the driving bands and lube grooves should be as crisp and sharp as the mould. However, the biggest thing to look out for is that the base of the bullet is flat and even. Nothing kills accuracy more (in cast and jacketed bullets), then an uneven base.
    Prickle Farmer

Wrangler
    Member #
    Thanks Prickle Farmer. I'm getting good fill out, no wrinkles etc. I do find it kinda tough to keep the temp consistent with the lee pot as the level drops. I'm thinking maybe that's contributing to the inconsistent weights. Not sure. Maybe mix more as well? I've been fluxing with sawdust, then casting without mixing anymore once the sawdust is charred and covering the surface. I'm aware of the importance of good bases. My bullets have been shooting well, but there's definitely room for improvement in my casting technique.
    vt4ster likes this.
    Best Regards, Tim.

TEAM 45/70 #1682

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Test for accuracy. If the weight difference doesnt mater, it will show up on the target.

6. 07-21-2019, 05:10 AM

Banned

Reason
    Spam and/or unwanted content

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Prickle Farmer View Post
    A variation of 4 to 5 grains on a 400-500gn bullet is a bit unusual, but nothing to be too concerned about. It's around a 1% weight variation.

The more important thing is to ensure the bullet fully forms to the shape of the mould. All edges to the driving bands and lube grooves should be as crisp and sharp as the mould. However, the biggest thing to look out for is that the base of the bullet is flat and even. Nothing kills accuracy more (in cast and jacketed bullets), then an uneven base.
    +2

redhawk
    The only stupid question...is the unasked one.

Not all who wander....are lost.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I'm with Hbibie, +1, anything else gets tossed back in the pot.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tbilly View Post
    Thanks Prickle Farmer. I'm getting good fill out, no wrinkles etc. I do find it kinda tough to keep the temp consistent with the lee pot as the level drops. I'm thinking maybe that's contributing to the inconsistent weights. Not sure. Maybe mix more as well? I've been fluxing with sawdust, then casting without mixing anymore once the sawdust is charred and covering the surface. I'm aware of the importance of good bases. My bullets have been shooting well, but there's definitely room for improvement in my casting technique.
    It sounds like you're right on top of it tbilly. I do all of the things that you have described. The only other thing that I can suggest is to keep the lead level in the pot as consistent as possible. I find that with a Lee bottom pour pot keeping the lead level up will help with the temperature variation, and also give a consistent pressure of lead flowing into the mould.

As long as they are shooting well you should be proud of your achievements.
    tbilly and vt4ster like this.
    Prickle Farmer

Wrangler
    Member #
    Temp swing seems to have been my main issue. Kept a closer eye on it this morning. Kept the casting temp between 800-850 on my Lyman thermometer. May or may not be accurate, but it seems consistent and appears to be the sweet spot with my moulds. About 3/4 of them dropped at 528.5- 530gr, the other 1/4 were within 1.5gr plus or minus. Seems I'm headed in the right direction.
    Best Regards, Tim.

TEAM 45/70 #1682

Wrangler
    Member #
    Good info from Prickle Farmer. I'd add that I cast at 700 deg. & ladle pour (550 gr. .45-70s). My spread is usually within 2 grs. with maybe 3-4 out of a 100 that are light. or hvy & go back.
    When I weigh, they stay in order, so that I am always shooting a string of shots where the bullets are within 1 tenth of each other.
    With that method, I was able to come within 1 point of a new national record at 800 yds. (99-3x creedmoor- dang pesky wind shift).
    tbilly likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Prickle Farmer View Post
    It sounds like you're right on top of it tbilly. I do all of the things that you have described. The only other thing that I can suggest is to keep the lead level in the pot as consistent as possible. I find that with a Lee bottom pour pot keeping the lead level up will help with the temperature variation, and also give a consistent pressure of lead flowing into the mould.

As long as they are shooting well you should be proud of your achievements.
    Thank you for your insight/input. I hadn't given the level much thought, other than to not get it too low and get junk into the pour spout, and cause it to drip. Keeping it high sure makes sense to get a consistent flow. I'll try adding my sprues back in as I go. Molds are still new also, with only a few casting sessions each. I imagine they'll only get better as they break in.

I feel pretty good about my results given my level of experience. I bought some cast performance bullets from Midway a few years ago, and they nearly made me give up on shooting cast. A tip from a fellow member here on the forum got me to weigh them. If I remember right they varied 11gr from heaviest to lightest in box I weighed. Thankfully, Midway let me return the unopened boxes. They should rename that company Crap Performance. Fliers Galore!!! Lol. I should probably thank them though. That's what got me started casting my own. Though sometimes frustrating, I'm enjoying the learning process.
    vt4ster likes this.
    Best Regards, Tim.

TEAM 45/70 #1682

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links