Free floatin' my DPMS Oracle LR-308
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Free floatin' my DPMS Oracle LR-308

Super Moderator
    Member #

Free floatin' my DPMS Oracle LR-308

I have owned this DPMS LR-308 for about 2.5 years now---its been a reliable and accurate rifle. In fact, used it to take down an 8 pointer last month:
    20191116_072039_V2.jpg
    A retired Snake Eater (Snake Eater = Green Beret) co-worker and buddy of mine suggested that I free float the barrel, even though the rifle was already very accurate. He had a spare free float DPMS composite forearm especially made for my rifle. He offered to put it all together for me---I only had to pay for the parts. I had an AR armorers wrench but knew that it would not exactly fit the barrel nut on my DPMS. He changed the forearm out for me and I put the rest of the rifle back together again. I had purchased a very lightly used Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6X24mm scope w/mount from the LGS at a discount. I decided to use that instead of the 2-7X Redfield Revolution mounted shortly after purchasing the rifle. I now just need to get my Oracle out to the range to zero the new scope and see how this new configuration will work---or not.
    DSCF0135.JPGDSCF0138.JPGDSCF0140.JPG
    Last edited by Ret_Eng; 12-12-2019 at 09:28 AM.
    JACKTW, mrguvna, GITU1 and 4 others like this.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Jay, that's a great upgrade for your Oracle. The forearm looks great and I'm curious to hear of any increase in accuracy in an already deadly accurate AR.

Those Strike Eagle are great scopes, crisp clear glass and really like their reticle. This scope is at the top of my list for my upcoming AR build.

Let me know when you post up a range report.

Jack
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I sure will give you a range report Jack! I will probably get a chance to get to the range next week after work. I am first going to dial it in with some 150 gr Sierra GameKing/H-4895 reloads. After that---your 185 gr Rebel Jack Deer Killers/VV N-540 reloads will come next. The 185 gr Rebel Jack reloads should hit about 2 inches higher at 50 yards.
    Last edited by Ret_Eng; 12-12-2019 at 09:30 AM.
    JACKTW and Marlinjunkie like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I like it. Looking forward to the range report.
    Ret_Eng likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlinjunkie View Post
    I like it. Looking forward to the range report.
    Got to shoot it in December before our Gov Blackface tries to make them illegal in January......
    JACKTW and mrguvna like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Those rifles have good reputation for accuracy.

Free floating changes the barrel harmonics among other things, it may or may not be more accurate with the existing chosen load, or may require a different load (s) to find any improvement. Improper (tight) fitting non free floated handguards on an AR usually have a very negative impact on accuracy, accuracy can be significantly improved (by several MOA) by removing handguard material until the grips are almost loose when fitted. Careful fitting frequently negates the need for a free float. To get an idea if an AR will benefit from a free float or custom fitting of standard handguards, remove the hanguards and fire for accuracy using the delta ring carefully placed on the rest.
    Ret_Eng likes this.
    "Should have put more dirt down, saw it right off." Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

8. 12-12-2019, 10:13 AM

Gun Wizard

Reason
    Duplicate post

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Finally got the rifle to the range yesterday in the gusting wind and 35 degree temps. The reconfigured DPMS Oracle LR-308 shot very well in these conditions with the new forearm/new scope mount/new scope. I was using 150 gr Hornady Interlock SP/H-4895 reloads to dial my deer killer in. The rifle initially shot a ways to the left at 50 yards before several windage adjustments that produced a decent zero. I then proceeded to bust up a bunch of orange clay bird fragments at 100 yards to finish up the day. On a side note---there were a LOT of AR shooters at the range yesterday. There are always some there but today--99% of the shooters had some type of AR at the bench. Possibly a reaction to our Governor Blackface's threat to make them illegal?
    20191218_160828.jpg20191218_160611.jpg
    Last edited by Ret_Eng; 12-19-2019 at 09:47 AM.
    gunscrewguy, mrguvna and JACKTW like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    That Oracle is a shooter, Jay. Three shots on the bull eye proves the Oracle's accuracy reputation. Not to mention the shooters trigger pull talent.

I plan on picking up an Oracle in 308WIN when we depart CA. I'd buy one now but they're not CA compliant. Then again, not many firearms are compliant in commie land.

Jack
    Ret_Eng likes this.
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    If our current Governor has his way--he will outlaw my rifle and make me an instant felon starting next month............
    JACKTW likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ret_Eng View Post
    If our current Governor has his way--he will outlaw my rifle and make me an instant felon starting next month............

Jay, it's so surreal to see this happening in VA. It proves the liberals true intentions to disarm law abiding Americans. Something tells me Virginians will demonstrate their errors of treading to such dangerous notions.

Crazy times we're living.

Jack
    Ret_Eng likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links