AR Pistol anyone? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: AR Pistol anyone?

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef Duane View Post
    Hmm... well I can do a complete bench strip of my Hi-Point 995TS. Perhaps if I can do that I could assemble an AR. All the parts definitions confuse me, tho. Stripped upper, full upper, full lower, lower with buffer, bolt carrier, lower with trigger assembly.... very confusing. Does anyone make a kit with all the parts? I think that would be illegal tho, eh?
    PSA has the pistol kits with everything but the lower, which can be purchased separately. Don't think there would be any illegal about selling it as a whole kit, just the way they do it...makes it seem a little cheaper and if you had a lower you were already using with a pistol upper you wouldn't necessarily need another upper!
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have turned into a big fan of AR pistols. lots of fun, and easy to build, tweak and modify.
    I especially like them in pistol calibers. Rifle calibers out of such short barrels aren't the optimal performance rigs and they're LOUD.
    Remember, you're firing a rifle projectile with powders that are designed to burn fully in an 18" barrel. and in a pistol build. you got 7" to 12" to play with.
    Lots of un burnt powders coming out the muzzle. I can deal with the loudness of a .223 in a 7.5" barrel, but its the concussion that you get being that close to the business end that really rattles you after a while..

I prefer regular pistol calibers like 9mm, and 45 honestly, but I LOVE my suppressed 300 blackout with an 8" barrel. that thing ONLY gets dedicated subsonic loads and is a dream to shoot. and quiet as a .22lr.

Two of my recent, personal builds.
    300blk3.jpg
    My 300 Blackout. Subsonic ammo only

20191014_153013.jpg
    And the 9mm SBR and integrally suppressed. 3.5" barrel. Subsonic ammo only.

You can only use a regular stock if you pay the stamp to own an SBR.
    If not, you have to use a tube, or one of the new modern "braces" like on my 300. and yes, I am a licensed manufacturer and SOT2.
    marlinluvr and lever30 like this.
    Team 60 #186
    Team 30-30 #987
    Team Semi-Auto #34
    Team 45/70 #1801
    Team Wheel Guns #100

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Watch some AR lower and upper builds on youtooobe. Building them is as much fun as shooting them !!!!!!!

DR
    Last edited by drinva; 10-22-2019 at 06:37 PM.
    durf and flatsneck like this.
    Team 60 #324, Team .22 Magnum #114, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #102, Team Wheelguns #54, Team 700 #5, Team Semi-Auto #41, Team Henry #106

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I just built my 1st one , PSA did me right.Nice FN forged barrel chromed with upper,lower parts kit with full stock, anderson lower. Its real accurate I just got done changing out trigger and disconnect springs with wolfs springs. WARNING it is addictive, my buddy thought it shot so good (better than his store bought) he wants me to build one for him (he buys the lower). Think of the gieco ad "so easy even a caveman can do it!". Did I mention Its ADDICTIVE!
    flatsneck, drinva and lever30 like this.
    Durf
    Team 1894 # 384
    Team Rossi # 43

Sidewinder
    Member #
    For an idea of cost, check out the rock river arms page for pistols and lower receivers.
    most people can put a lower parts kit and pistol receiver extension into a lower acquired as a frame or marked "pistol".
    get a complete upper from jse surplus and pin it on.
    if you don't hit your bad guy with a bullet you will blind, burn and deafen him !

Deadeye
    Member #
    Linear compensator or flash can is a must on an AR pistol. They don’t reduce the sound or concussion but simply push it forward away from the shooter. Agreed they are brutally loud, but easily tamed.
    flatsneck, drinva and ardenkent like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef Duane View Post
    Thanks all for the good feedback. There is much to think about. The reason that I am thinking about an already complete firearm is because I am completely unfamiliar with the AR platform. Never assembled one or broken one down, never seen one assembled in person. And seldom even fired one. I know there are utoob vids about assembling them but utoob ain't real life. At least a complete gun comes functional and with some type of warranty. Again, the PSA and ATI look interesting because of the form factor and price. My Hi-Point 99TS fills my pistol caliber carbine category so I'll probably will stay with a 5.56/.223 Rem simply due to ammo price and availability, and am determining if I would go with a 7"-7.5" barrel or 10". Not sure yet. This will not be for 'tactical operation' or the zombie apocalypse even the coming civil war (although ya' never know...) but for the range, and my nephew has some property in East Tennessee that is prime for shooting!! Also, its because I want one to exercise my still intact (for the time being) 2A right to own one. And that's probably the best reason of all. Bozo O'Rourke be damned.
    Probably one of the single most easiest designs to slap together. I’ve built many. With that being said, I’ve built two pistols from Palmetto parts, which is seems like you’re looking in to. One was in 5.56 and one was in 9MM. Honestly, overall generally practicality and fun is the 9MM. I have a brace on both. If you go 5.56, don’t go any shorter then 10.5”. If you do, you’re really losing a lot in ballistics.
    flatsneck likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links