Anyone tried the new HOPPES BLACK GUN OIL for modern sporting rifles ?
Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By MarlinManCB45/70
  • 6 Post By Boobarzo
  • 4 Post By Da Duke
  • 1 Post By Drm50
  • 2 Post By Kendawg
  • 1 Post By M1Riflenut

Thread: Anyone tried the new HOPPES BLACK GUN OIL for modern sporting rifles ?

Contributing Member
    Member #

if so does it "look like" Lucas's blue Extreme Duty syn. gun oil or look like any another brand?

How dod you like it? What does your AR 15 like tofeed on for lubrication?
    Last edited by Scorpiusb; 06-21-2019 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Fixed title...
    94win30wcf likes this.
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

In Dixie Land I'll Take My Stand , To Live And Die in Dixie

Banned
    Member #
    I have buddies who bought Hoppes black gun oil.Other than the pretty bottle,it ain’t any different than the reg Hoppes oil.I own the Lucas extreme duty oil.I like it.
    But,for AR’s,Break Free CLP is hard to beat.Been using it for years.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I also use Break Free CLP. No need to change. I knew one person who used it and said it was fine.
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobarzo View Post
    I have buddies who bought Hoppes black gun oil.Other than the pretty bottle,it ain’t any different than the reg Hoppes oil.I own the Lucas extreme duty oil.I like it.
    But,for AR’s,Break Free CLP is hard to beat.Been using it for years.
    Saw "new hoppes black at the Academy yesterday and didn't want to spend 10 bux to find out, as just bought Luca's ED oil ...3 oz. for 20 bux. Felt like a drug deal almost...LOL...Lucas sure is "proud" of their gun oils...

I'll soon be"testing" the Lucas Extreme Duty iI purchased . I got my Ruger railed and test fired 40 rds. without a hiccup, .....but it needs sighting in......then gave it a THOROUGH cleaning last night while burning the midnight (and morning) oil.

If things go as planned I can have it sighted in by Saturday and properly sight it in.
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    GI LSA works fine and it's cheap. My wife hates it when I use GI bore cleaner it stinks up the whole house. I've got a stash of quart cans of it that I bough cheap. I only use it on first step of cleaning really grungy guns, instead of using Hoppes. I don't fire anything so fast I need space age lubricants. For years my dad brought home a industrial solvent that he swore by for shotguns. He was cheap but his shotguns weren't and he would never use anything that would damage them. Sadly the solvent was taken off the market and was the only solvent I ever had that would wipe the residue from plastic wads out with one pass. Dad always had dibs on the empty IMR cans, his favorite containers to boost solvents and oils in.
    94win30wcf likes this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Deadeye
    Member #
    I always run the bolts on my .556 and .308 wet with Break Free CLP. Never any issues.
    Vooch and Lever Jac like this.
    -Kendawg

Team Wheelguns #73
    Team Remington 700 #63
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #135
    Team Winchester #131
    Team 1894 #515

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I've been using the Lucas ED for a few years now and don't plan to change. Thats for things that need oil. Things that need grease I use either wheel bearing grease, RIG, synthetic Tetra lube, or TC bore butter, depending on what it is, intended use and ambient temp, or long term storage. I don't think I've ever tried CLP even though it's said to be good stuff.
    MarlinManCB45/70 likes this.

Banned
    Member #
    We are all fussy and picky about the oils and lubes we use in our weapons.But,in the end,any oil will protect your gun better than no oil at all.
    I remember my dad and uncle using general purpose oil,like 3 in 1 or something,for their hunting rifles,fishing reels and just about anything else.Their guns are still shooting like new!

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobarzo View Post
    We are all fussy and picky about the oils and lubes we use in our weapons.But,in the end,any oil will protect your gun better than no oil at all.
    I remember my dad and uncle using general purpose oil,like 3 in 1 or something,for their hunting rifles,fishing reels and just about anything else.Their guns are still shooting like new!
    3 in1 will turn to gum over long period of time. I'm trying to 'discover" what type/brand of oil will stay in the BCG of the ar-15 the longest.

Lucas red don;t last too long. Hoping the ED lucas lasts longer. I have a kinda old bottle of Kleenbore "Formula 3 Gun Conditioner." Label says "Lubricates,Cleans,prevent rust" Smells like hypoid oil to me. But it's too thin for hypoid. Might try it later just to see.
    Last edited by MarlinManCB45/70; 06-22-2019 at 09:02 PM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links