Do AR 15 Firing Pins Wear Quickly?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Do AR 15 Firing Pins Wear Quickly?

Contributing Member
    Member #

Do AR 15 Firing Pins Wear Quickly?

Got my AR556 back, shot 30 rds, disassembled it to clean. I find the larger diameter end of the firing pin scuffed/abraded around the diameter's edge.

Is this normal wear ? Also the bolt carrier group 'turn pin" looks to show wear. Ruger stated that they installed "a complete upper". Wouldn't "a complete upper" include a new BCG and firing pin and barrel ? Or are those parts not considered to be part of the nonmenclature of "a complete upper" ? I am still new to some of the "AR lingo"

The firing pin's larger outer diameter's edge on the opposite end of the pin that contacts the primer, (not the tippy top pointy end (LOL) looks like someone rubbed it on very coarse sandpaper, and left small gouges on the edge, all the way around it. Can supply pics, if needed. Looks like it was rubbing on something...but what? The floor?

Also I know there's different lengths on bolt carrier hsgs. Are all AR 15 firing pins the same length or does it depend on which length BC hsg you have? Or BC hsg lenth makes no difference, same pin?
    Last edited by MarlinManCB45/70; 04-25-2019 at 02:00 PM.
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

In Dixie Land I'll Take My Stand , To Live And Die in Dixie

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    FP's wear early. In a word. No.
    Smith & Wesson The Handgun Of Choice!
    Revolvers Rule.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    trying figure out why mine looks like it's an abused step child. Perhaps I should just install a new one, Looks to me like ruger dropped the ball a little, as my firing pin did not look like this before I shipped it to 'em. IIRC mine was black and this one is raw aluminum color/finish.....Now I'm wondering if *my* firing pin wound up in an homeward bound employee lunchbox , and I now have his old messed up one.

Guess I'll be purchasing a new firing pin. Any good suggestions as to what's available ? Any "special metals/coatings/finishes/ styled/ it's the latest craze" firing pins out there ? On the cheap of course...
    Last edited by MarlinManCB45/70; 04-25-2019 at 02:13 PM.
    cajun56 and pacificpt like this.
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #
    Sounds like they have a pile of parts sitting around and you got a high round count firing pin. It might be worthwhile to send a picture to Ruger and see if they will send you a new firing pin. I have a couple AR 15s and have found getting a spare parts kit including a firing pin and some of the springs and pins that are easily lost or used up can be a good thing to keep in the range bag.
    M700, cajun56 and Boobarzo like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Check the back of the bolt carrier on the bottom---this is the first place that hits your hammer on the recoil to the rear to cock the hammer. Make sure that is smooth with no burrs or sharp edges. Check the face of the hammer for any rough burrs or sharp edges---the face is what hits the back of the firing pin.

On the bolt pin check were it rides on the bolt----make sure there are no sharp edges or burrs on the bolt side where the bolt pin rides.

That is pretty much all of the places that rub in the AR as far as the bolt carrier and bolt\ firing pin.

PS--forgot to add that NEVER close the bolt carrier with a bolt installed leaving the bolt pin out---it will be extremely hard for you to open the bolt carrier after this-----I mean extremely hard.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Been shooting AR-s for years, and never had a firing pin show any undue wear--even on a Colt SP-1 I've had for 40 years.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I own over a dozen AR platforms and have shot AR platforms for years,1,000’s of rounds in each.Never had to change out a firing pin.A few ejectors,because I used to shoot Tula steel case ammo.
    But,it is always good to have an extra firing pin,ejector and various AR springs.I have an extra BCG ,just in case.Never needed it though.Go to a gun store that builds AR platforms.Make you a spare parts kit.
    M700, flatsneck, pacificpt and 1 others like this.
    "Welcome to my home, the locked door you just kicked in was for your protection, not mine!"

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I'm gonna pull it out and snap a few pics of my firing pin here shortly

Contributing Member
    Member #
    well my cellcam don't show it....camera not good enough.

I'll just order a couple or three new BCG pins and firing pins, just for the prepper aspect.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Never noticed any wear on any. They look like the nails used to lay out the foundation of a building to me. A complete upper should include the bolt and of course the firing pin as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links