Do AR 15 Firing Pins Wear Quickly? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Do AR 15 Firing Pins Wear Quickly?

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Agreed with everything above. It never hurts to have a few extra parts in the box for emergencies. and they're so cheap now, its crazy not to have spares.

As far as firing pins, Ive never broken damaged or had to replace a firing pin in any of my setups after many countless thousands of rounds thru all of them each, in a variety of different calibers.

I wont shoot steel case in any of my higher end AR's, but do have a beater rifle that I will blast away with steel case and it has held up well so far, other than having to replace the barrel and extractor on that one recently. firing pin is just fine..

Ive had to replace barrels more-so than any other parts. and two extractors over the years but that's pretty much it.
    When maintained, the AR platform is actually a pretty solid design.
    Sounds like someone swapped your firing pin. it should be smooth and "normal" with no burrs or ugly spots.
    cajun56, Boobarzo and pacificpt like this.
    Team 60 #186
    Team 30-30 #987
    Team Semi-Auto #34
    Team 45/70 #1801
    Team Wheel Guns #100

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MarlinManCB45/70 View Post
    well my cellcam don't show it....camera not good enough.

I'll just order a couple or three new BCG pins and firing pins, just for the prepper aspect.
    Depends on how many AR’s you own.I own over a dozen,with more builds coming up.I have two firing pins in a sm baggie hanging off a nail under a shelf.Been there for yrs,above my workbench,covered with dust.Still there!
    Ejecter and springs go way more often than a firing pin.More important to keep your AR clean and lubed.Dewey’s sells an AR15 bore guide,chamber brush and rods.I clean an AR after every 100 rds.
    "Welcome to my home, the locked door you just kicked in was for your protection, not mine!"

Wrangler
    SW Michigan next to a picked soybean field
    Member #
    Don't think I've ever had to replace a firing pin although I also have extras. I have had to replace one disconnector, two extractors, one extractor pin, several extractor spring, barrel (7K rounds and still shot ok just not as well as it used to) , one charging handle(my fault), one gas key (dropped empty carrier on concrete floor), several magazines, one bolt hold open, one magazine catch, several Gas rings, many cotter pins, one hammer pin and likely some other parts I'm forgetting about over the years.

Some I clean after every range trip, a couple I treat like beater 22's and only clean when the bolt slows down because they're so crudded up that squirting clp on it doesn't help any more.
    Team 444 #741
    Team 30-30 #1338
    Team 303 #40
    Team 60 #422
    Team wheelguns #101

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    FWIW: I have found a TITANIUM firing pin with a "coating".

SPECS: For AR-15 Only
    Constructed From Grade 5 Eli Titanium
    Mil-Spec Dimensions For Drop-In Installation
    Black Ionbond Finish For High Lubricity & Ease Of Cleaning
    Approx. Half The Weight Of A Mil-Spec Firing Pin
    Made In The United States
    For a paltry $24.25 plus shpg. Not too bad for titanium huh?

https://www.rainierarms.com/v7-titan...ing-pin-ar-15/

Might buy a couple of "plain ones" for now, and grab a titanium one later....
    pacificpt, Boobarzo and Moleman like this.
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

In Dixie Land I'll Take My Stand , To Live And Die in Dixie

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobarzo View Post
    I own over a dozen AR platforms and have shot AR platforms for years,1,000’s of rounds in each.Never had to change out a firing pin.A few ejectors,because I used to shoot Tula steel case ammo.
    But,it is always good to have an extra firing pin,ejector and various AR springs.I have an extra BCG ,just in case.Never needed it though.Go to a gun store that builds AR platforms.Make you a spare parts kit.
    Same here. Have ARs with several thousand rds through them and no weird stuff like on MarlinMan's AR. Also, I found out the hard way (after breaking extractors) on my upper in 7.62 Russian my barrel did not have a chrome plated chamber so when using steel case cheap ammo the laquer coating will foul the chamber and cause sticky extraction which puts a strain on the extractor. You have to use either brass case ammo or a higher grade of steel case ammo like Golden Bear or Silver Bear which is copper plated or tin plated steel cases. These will extract smooth -----or make sure you buy a barrel that is chrome plated.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Golphin View Post
    Never noticed any wear on any. They look like the nails used to lay out the foundation of a building to me. A complete upper should include the bolt and of course the firing pin as well.
    What I find as strange is the wear is not on the end that strikes the primer, but rather on the other end. But not right on the end. But rather on the larger of the "rings". Weird...
    Last edited by MarlinManCB45/70; 04-26-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    pacificpt likes this.
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    here's the pics of the wear. maybe it is normal wear?

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Hard to see in those pics as they aren't very sharp/clear. If you're referring to the larger rimmed part on the outter edge I'd say there is something wrong with your carrier. If it is on the sloped face that would be where the cotter pin holds the firing pin in place. This can happen by running your carrier group dry. Keep in mind that the firing pin is free floating. When you assemble it you should make sure the pin and the hole it fits in is good and wet with a light oil. Also make sure your gas rings are nice and wet and the little slots are NOT lined up with each other. Think of them the same as piston rings.
    I've got over 30,000 rounds on a firing pin and it has very very little wear. On a side note if you start or have problems with light strikes replace your standard firing pin with one for a 7.62x39 AR, also referred as an enhanced firing pin. They are slightly longer.
    MarlinManCB45/70 likes this.
    JM 336 in 35 Remington ( Team 35 Rem #781 )... Team Old Pharts #389
    JM 336 in 30-30 ( Team 30-30 #1438 ) ..... Mdl 1893 in 38-55 ( Team 38-55 #27 )
    JM 1894 in 44 mag (Team 1894 #586 ) ..... XT-22m 22 mag ..... Henry Frontier 22 LR (Team Henry #146 )

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I don't see the area of concern but don't think it's anything to be concerned about.............

If it bothers you, get some Scotch Bite and polish it.

I would NOT spend $25 bucks for another firing pin!..............If anything is going to break, it's going to be the tip.

Tom
    mrmike7189 likes this.
    NRA LIFE
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    CCDL

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomray View Post
    I don't see the area of concern but don't think it's anything to be concerned about.............

If it bothers you, get some Scotch Bite and polish it.

I would NOT spend $25 bucks for another firing pin!..............If anything is going to break, it's going to be the tip.

Tom
    The only reason I would consider buying the $25.00 titanium firing pin is it's weight savings. It is almost 4 oz. lighter.
    Currently still using the original FP, but ordered and received to spares (not the 25 bux one.), just to have them on hand. Maybe later on, I may (or may not) try a titanium one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links