• 5 Post By Ballistic Therapy
  • 3 Post By Cowboy23*
  • 3 Post By papajohn
  • 1 Post By drinva

Thread: S&w ar15 question

Gun Wizard
    Member #

S&w ar15 question

I have a S&W AR15. I heard someone say there is a problem with the S&W AR's. I do not know anything other than that. I was just wondering if anyone knows of the problem? Thanks, John
    Marlinjunkie likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    The only thing I know of is S&W had a recall on the Bolts of the AR 15-22. Seems they had an issue of double fire or slaming the bolt shut and firing. They did a recall of all bolts made before 2019 but it seems the issue was just a few in 2019.

I have not heard of any issues with the ARs. The S&W Forum is pretty up to date on all things S&W. Ill log in and look around.

Hayden.
    Rossi & Henry Team Captian.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I believe some of the parts are a proprietary design and therefore are not interchangeable with standard mil-spec components. However I don't recall which parts.
    jpickar likes this.
    The Flag my father Earned so we could all see it wave.
    Team .45/70 #1879
    Team 1894 #575

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    Addendum to my prior comment.
    I went looking for what parts they may be and couldn't find them. All I recall is that during my search last week for lower parts, there was one part that you had to order specific to the S&W.
    jpickar and gunscrewguy like this.
    The Flag my father Earned so we could all see it wave.
    Team .45/70 #1879
    Team 1894 #575

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jpickar View Post
    I have a S&W AR15. I heard someone say there is a problem with the S&W AR's. I do not know anything other than that. I was just wondering if anyone knows of the problem? Thanks, John
    I have several S&W M&P stripped lower receivers that were used to build rifles and they are just as good as any other brand (DPMS, Aero Precision, Novesky, DSA Arms, etc)

Sounds like headspace was too tight or long firing pins to get slam fires----I've seen some amateur hand loads where the primers were not seated below the head surface----were the doubles or slam fires with hand loads ??

Deadeye
    Member #
    I don't own an S&W AR but a couple of my friends do and they have never had any problems.

One thing about AR's is that no matter what brand it is there is always someone that will find fault with it.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistic Therapy View Post
    I don't own an S&W AR but a couple of my friends do and they have never had any problems.

One thing about AR's is that no matter what brand it is there is always someone that will find fault with it.
    I used to be like that and resisted the trend of going to the black rifle. I was old school with traditional rifles that have wood stocks all bedded actions with free-floated barrels. When I finally broke down and decided to build my own AR's I realized how versatile and easy it was to build high quality uppers tailored to use (With proper tools and jigs). The one thing about the AR is you must keep it clean. I am hooked on them now and it is very much a Lego gun with many high quality aftermarket parts available.
    Mark1894, Marlinjunkie and jpickar like this.

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    About ten years ago, CDNN ran a sale on the M&P 15, and I bought five of them. Four were eventually sold to friends and relatives, I kept the one with the best trigger. I still have it. Great shooter, and while it's seen its share of add-ons, these days it's pretty basic. A sling, a medium powered, lightweight 2x7 scope, and a flashlight out front. Nothing fancy, just a basic badass Defensive Carbine. It works well with ammo from 40 to 62 grains, and even did right well with some 77-grain stuff I loaded, much to my surprise. Hard to knock a gun that flexible.

If there's an inherent flaw in the design as built by S&W, I've never heard heard about it, and I keep my ear to the ground about that kind of stuff.
    We're at the point where Hamas are freedom fighters and the NRA is a terrorist organization. —Twitter satirist @hale_razor

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    NOT A THING wrong with the S&W AR-15. Matter of fact even during full auto torture tests the gun did WAY better than many that cost a lot more. If I remember right...one torture test was done on Iraqveteran8888's you tube channel. Very nice AR for the cost. I do think some are built without a forward assist, (sometimes called a "slick side" upper) but in reality, most could loose this and wouldn't make a bit of difference.

I have yet to be around a S&W that wasn't a darn good gun.

DR
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    Team 60 #324
    Team .22 Magnum #114
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #102
    Team Wheelguns #54
    Team 700 #5
    Team Semi-Auto #41
    Team Henry #106

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links