AR for deer???
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree341Likes

Thread: AR for deer???

Tinhorn
    Member #

AR for deer???

Anyone use a 5.56/.223 AR for deer. Concidering throwing mine in the mix for deer season just for fun. Not as a primary rifle but take it out a couple of times
    OLSKOOL, 10acres, Sambane and 2 others like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Plenty of debate potentially here. Topic has been broached on many occasions. Personally I wouldn't but plenty of dissenters of my opinion I am quite confident will emerge. Not a "responsible" big game round in my book. JMHOYMMV
    Matthew 25:40 / WWJD
    Favorite caliber- How is that even possible?
    The more I know the less I understand.
    Recovering Redneck / Recovering Catholic / Recovered racist
    Monotheistic Secular Humanist

Contributing Member
    Member #
    If your state allows that caliber and your comfortable with the .223 ballistics on deer, then go ahead.
    I prefer a larger cartridge for a larger wound channel, for example my .35 Remington.
    Good luck,
    Andrew
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    .35 rem or .30 06 are my normal deer rifles. Just thought of mixing it up 1 day this season if the .223*is up to the task
    Sambane, Yooper and gunscrewguy like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MISportsman View Post
    .35 rem or .30 06 are my normal deer rifles. Just thought of mixing it up 1 day this season if the .223*is up to the task
    Very subjective as to "up to the task" means to you? Your normal deer rifles are two of the quintessential deer rounds by all measures. To me using the .223 compared to those other two is like trying to play a full round of golf with nothing but a putter. You can do it, but why? There are endless responses to how capable the .223 can be and pretty much the same as the ones how incapable it can be. I personally don't wish to hunt with a toss of the coin round when what you have available can't get any better.
    Matthew 25:40 / WWJD
    Favorite caliber- How is that even possible?
    The more I know the less I understand.
    Recovering Redneck / Recovering Catholic / Recovered racist
    Monotheistic Secular Humanist

Contributing Member
    Member #
    One thing to keep in mind when using a .223 out of an AR....if you are using a cartridge that is designed for a "semi-auto" rifle, it will more than likely be "less" powerful i.e. lighter bullet and in general limited to the fps it is loaded to...the reason? Well, if you feed your semi-auto a .223 designed for hunting again heavier bullet and more powerful charge to go faster..these are usually meant for "bolt guns" or any other type that is not going to break your receiver due to excessive recoil.
    But, can it be done? Sure, shot placement is always the most important thing, if you can put the round where it needs to go, you should be fine. My AR is a 458SOCOM, so I do hunt with it.
    Last edited by mazer; 08-02-2018 at 08:44 AM.
    Lots of Marlins!

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Ive shot two deer with my AR.

77 grain TMK 2750 fps - 75 yard high lung shot. She ran about another 75 yards and layed down. She wouldnt get up but took five or so minutes to die. No blood trail but it was a high lung shot. When field dressing a lung was destroyed the other just peppered. Wasnt a great shot but a larger caliber would of worked better by getting both lungs

62 grain TBBC 3000 fps - 75 yard neck shot. I was not meaning to do a neck shot. Really bad job on my shooting but he dropped on the spot

Overall it works but wasn't impressed. My 300 blackout works better on lung shots even with a 10.5" barrel. My experimenting with the 5.56 on deer wont continue
    Last edited by bryan alder; 08-01-2018 at 05:46 PM.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I guess using my AR for deer hunting isn't the greatest idea. I have a safe full of guns and it is the one that gets used the least. just trying to find a way to show it some love. Maybe a pig hunt or coyote hunt maybe in order instead.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I think it is capable of taking down deer with the right bullet and correct shot placement, but I have larger calibers that I use/prefer. 30 30, 30 06, 7RM, 308, 444 just to name a few. I still have other calibers. If I did decide to hunt with one, it would be more for testing the capabilities of a bullet, and not the rifle itself. And I would only do so if I had enough acres to track a deer if I had to, and not worry about having to cross another property line. And yes I am very good a tracking deer.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    coyote for sure.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links