AR for deer??? - Page 9
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Like Tree341Likes

Thread: AR for deer???

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Well you are describing exactly what the 223 crowd denies. They are claiming it functions like any other hunting bullet. That is closer to being true than stories about 5.56 bullets doing damage by wild bullet path. It is true that a light bullet at HV will change path easier than a slower, heavier bullet. But the wild wounds are not the norm. There was a wives tale in RVn that AK ammo was designed to tumble because of a void between core and jacket. That was wives tale too. I’ve shot several hundred groundhogs with GI 5.56 and if you didn’t hit them in the head or spine they would head for hole. It had about same effect as running them through with a ice pick. The speed did cause a suction that if you gut shot an animal it would run off trailing intestines. I shoot 55gr bullets in 222, 223 & 220. The old GI 55gr was 3250fps, I don’t know what grain they are using now but it’s heavier. That means it’s going slower and is going to deflect less.

Are you shooting them with a nonexpanding 55gr FMJ? If so I’m not surprised at all that terminal performance was dismal.
    drinva likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have not bought any fmj or match bullets in decades, if I'm gonna load some ammo its gonna be with a bullet that was designed for hunting if they are not bullets I cast myself. even when there are huge discounts on blemished bullets I pass on the fmj stuff. I don't think going deer hunting with a 556 is ideal I'd rather head out with the 6.8 w 90 gr golds dots
    REK likes this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    ...77 grain TMK...
    . . . was never designed to kill things.
    It's literally nothing more than the 77 SMK w/ a resin tip)
    It can/will both pencil itself through and/or blow up.
    (I've experienced both w/ it's 30cal SMK big brother -- and quit using it.)

I would have no (ethical) problem using a 69-75gr soft point at nominal ranges/good placement

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat 74 View Post
    Are you shooting them with a nonexpanding 55gr FMJ? If so I’m not surprised at all that terminal performance was dismal.
    The point was that there is no extra damage caused by velocity. A FMJ does nothing unless it hits something to deflect it, except penetrate.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    The point was that there is no extra damage caused by velocity. A FMJ does nothing unless it hits something to deflect it, except penetrate.

Yeah, they just kinda poke holes.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Fun stuff !
    You will not do peace with the bluecoats, you are free to go.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I'm not going to beat the horse here, but anyone who thinks velocity doesn't matter in the type of wound received by ANY object needs to look again. I don't care if it's a round ball or an arrow.

I have a son-in-law in the military. We have discussed the .223/.556 over and over and over again. He and his men have seen action in 4 country's during our past war times. I trust his judgement.....and when his own men tell him they would rather be shot with a 7.62 than a .556 DUE to the deflection THEY SEE on the people they wound/kill.......well.... I will leave that, where it is as well. The idea is...massive wounding. This lets the soldier live while taking other fighting soldiers out of the battle to tend to the wounded men...basically: severely wound one guy takes out 2-3 guys in the process: the shot man, 1-2 others to carry off and tend to the shot man. This isn't arm chair internet BS.

For deer, the soft point is a better choice. However, if you watch the impact destruction from a .556 BALL AMMO through ballistics's gel, you will see that even though the hole left may be small, the damage around it is quite impressive.

Groundhogs....nothing but a blob of muscle. The only way to stop one with anything is to blow them up or hit the head or spine ....I have watched my own bullets deflect off the head of a groundhog....comparing one to a deer is just apples to oranges.

DR
    Team 60 #324, Team .22 Magnum #114, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #102, Team Wheelguns #54, Team 700 #5, Team Semi-Auto #41, Team Henry #106
    "Dying ain't so hard for men like you and me, it's the living that's hard" Ten Bears

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MISportsman View Post
    Anyone use a 5.56/.223 AR for deer. Concidering throwing mine in the mix for deer season just for fun. Not as a primary rifle but take it out a couple of times
    The 5.56/.223 is considered adequate for a human, carrying equipment and clothing?
    Provided you are using the correct round, and can accurately place it for a heart lung or head shot, logically, there is a high probability of success. You must be a hunter, get in close, to ensure correct shot placement. Be confident in your ability to shoot the firearm accurately.
    People in these forums tend to look down on some rounds... like a .38-40 isn't good enough (even though it has taken everything required of it, for many years, and animals have not grown armour), like a .410 solid can't take a pig (proved it over and over). The round dictates the shot you have to take, how close you have to get, and what shots you must pass on. It is up to the hunter to do these things, which then makes hunting with that round ethical.
    Last edited by BabyMarlin38-40; 05-24-2020 at 07:49 PM.
    Drm50 and drinva like this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    The statements about ground hogs, bullets bouncing off their heads, etc is the most ridiculous statements I’ve ever herd.
    BabyMarlin38-40 likes this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Deadeye
    Member #
    Just remember the Army is no longer using M193 out of 1/12 twist or M885 Green Tip out of a 1/7. Ammo now used is the M885A1.

CD
    Bearcat 74 and drinva like this.
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq 91,03,04,05,06,08,09, 15 & 16'
    Afganistan 09,10,11,14,17,18',19' & 20'
    TEAM 1894 ~ Member#53 TEAM 60 ~ Member#521

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links