PPU 7.62x39 Round Nose Ammo? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: PPU 7.62x39 Round Nose Ammo?

Banned
    Member #
    I have an EoTech on one of my rifles. For "quick acquisition" it's nice but the lack of magnification precludes any hopes for "pin point accuracy" at a distance short of locking the rifle in a vise to ensure consistent dot placement. That is why I would never use one for hunting unless you were hunting short distances or shooting at large targets. For "minute of man" it works well.
    papajohn likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn View Post
    A co-worker gave me a box of this stuff after a range session, he and his buddies tried it in several different AK-47 variants, and it didn't want to feed in any of them. I'd never heard of the stuff, and can't see why anyone would want a round-nosed bullet for an AK, it's designed to feed the pointy stuff. If you had a bolt action gun like a CZ-527 or something similar it MIGHT feed better, and it would make a good round for deer hunting, but there is plenty of decent hollow-point and soft-point ammo on the market, so I have to ask.............why?

AK's aside, has anyone tried this in a Mini-30? Does it feed well in anything? I've only tried a few of the PPU loads (made in Serbia, in this case) and have yet to be impressed. The 308 I tried was all over the paper, same for the 30-30 loads, 3" at 50 yards was about the best. The 10mm loads I tried were absolutely abysmal, with velocity well BELOW what standard 40S&W loads gave, and crummy accuracy.

I know some folks seem to like the PPU loads in some of the more obscure military calibers, but I suspect they're using open sights in most cases, and 4" groups aren't that bad under those circumstances.

Anyone had any luck with this stuff?
    That stuff should work in the CZ-527 in 7.62X39mm. Its a little bolt action carbine that some MO members have posted about. From what I have read--it seems to be a very well made CZ short barreled hunting carbine. I have used the PPU 170 grain SP ammo in some of my Marlin 30-30s. It works very well for hunting--Prvi Partisan makes some good stuff--but its been hard to find locally.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I've had a hankering for one of those CZ-527's for a couple years, but I've already got too much stuff I don't have time to shoot. But I do have a 527 in 223, and it's not just gorgeous and handy, it's an absolute tack-driver! It will do this ([email protected] yds) all day long with the load it likes.

OLSKOOL likes this.
    "A guy has 12 assault weapons with bump stocks, which means you can fire it faster. You can pull the trigger faster. Why in God's name should anyone ... be able to own that? It's just wrong. ... I'm the only guy that has beaten the gun manufacturers. I'm the only guy that has beaten the NRA nationally, and I did it twice, nationally. And gun manufacturers, I'm coming for you. Period." —Joe Biden

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    This ammo feeds fine in my Mini-30. I chose it for its more forgiving brush-busting performance, at least I perceive it to be better...how could it not with a blunt, round nose like that?...than some of the pointed soft-points I've used. I used it for Whitetail hunting this year and one shot in the chest whacked the deer right down. Large wound channel bled the deer out immediately. Very happy with this ammo, I hunt pretty thick woods with ranges under 150 yards.
    Vooch and papajohn like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I've bought a couple of hundred rounds of it to shoot in my Mini 30 and my CZ 527. I haven't tried it yet.
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats. H.L Mencken

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn View Post
    A co-worker gave me a box of this stuff after a range session, he and his buddies tried it in several different AK-47 variants, and it didn't want to feed in any of them. I'd never heard of the stuff, and can't see why anyone would want a round-nosed bullet for an AK, it's designed to feed the pointy stuff. If you had a bolt action gun like a CZ-527 or something similar it MIGHT feed better, and it would make a good round for deer hunting, but there is plenty of decent hollow-point and soft-point ammo on the market, so I have to ask.............why?

AK's aside, has anyone tried this in a Mini-30? Does it feed well in anything? I've only tried a few of the PPU loads (made in Serbia, in this case) and have yet to be impressed. The 308 I tried was all over the paper, same for the 30-30 loads, 3" at 50 yards was about the best. The 10mm loads I tried were absolutely abysmal, with velocity well BELOW what standard 40S&W loads gave, and crummy accuracy.

I know some folks seem to like the PPU loads in some of the more obscure military calibers, but I suspect they're using open sights in most cases, and 4" groups aren't that bad under those circumstances.

Anyone had any luck with this stuff?
    Old thread but thought I'd mention for anyone still curious about this ammo that it feeds just fine through my SKS. Performed flawlessly in the stock fixed, a 30rd USA and a 20rd Tapco straight up and staggered with Tula 154g sp, 123g HP and Hertser 123g HP. It even cycled fine with a 5rd fixed mag that jams every shot with every other ammo I've tried with it. Surprised it jammed so much for others, for me it was able to feed where others wouldn't cause the big round nose seemed to be able to skate over things that a pointy rd would hang up on

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Old thread ... I'm going to try this PPU RN 7.62x39 ammo in a couple of my SKS's and Ruger American...

I've read this thread top to bottom... RN SP ammo is used not to shoot through brush , or be more apt to not be deflected by brush ...
    RN SP bullets are designed to increase the frontal area of the bullet and to open up a bit quicker....

I like using RN bullets .. Thats one reason I like the 30-30 , and I believe its those RNSP projectiles that has helped the 30-30 to have a stellar reputation... Of taking game without having such high velocity.. Those RNSP bullets just work ..
    I also use 150gr RNSP in my 270 Winchester.. Its a thumper

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I've shot SP ammo in my AK's or SKS's over the years and for a while I took deer with them but never fail that the tip would be severely damaged from trying to feed into the chamber. I wasn't shooting long distances but that had to affect accuracy if I did. I ended up using HP instead and it worked.

I have never seen round nosed PPU ammo. I can see why it won't feed in an semi auto.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I have tried it in my mini 30 and to my surprise it does feed and function quite well. I normally shoot Winchester super X for hunting, but to my surprise the PPU ammo shoots and feeds well out of the factory magazines.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I would guess that their testing showed the RN to expand better for hunting. At AK speeds the RN is not far behind at typical short range.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links