Best season of the year
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Best season of the year

Wrangler
    Member #

Best season of the year

PA flintlock season starts 12/26. 3.5 weeks long this year. No scopes, flintlock only. No orange needed. Snow camo and flint and steel. Best hunting of the year.
    Anyone else going out?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Best of luck!
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have always wanted to head over for this hunt.
    Good luck Greybeard.
    Steve_In
    People say money can't buy happiness But it can buy me a Marlin and ammo to shoot in it, dies, powder bullets...

Team Southpaw #9 TEAM 1894 #400

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Our ML season is already over--it occurs during the first 2 weeks of Nov. One can use any type of ML during that season--both new configuration or retro style percussion cap/flintlocks/matchlocks. It just has to be loaded from the barrel.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ret_Eng View Post
    Our ML season is already over--it occurs during the first 2 weeks of Nov. One can use any type of ML during that season--both new configuration or retro style percussion cap/flintlocks/matchlocks. It just has to be loaded from the barrel.
    PA also has a fall any muzzloader doe season, with scopes. Plus now a week of Bear muzzloader in the fall.
    Saved my doe tags for this season, hope it pays off. Much tougher for me with open sites and round balls, deflection is so easy off the smallest twig.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Missouri's ML season over the last 20yrs or so has gone from a traditional ML season to including in-lines with scopes. Then a few years ago they changed the designation to Alternative methods which means pretty much anything that's not a modern centerfire rifle or shotgun. They also moved the season from early December to the end of Dec/beginning of January.

I can only figure that they wanted to encourage taking more deer without extending the 10 day modern firearms season in November.

I will be out hunting with my father with my in-line.

Deer - Firearms, Alternative Methods
    Allowed

• Muzzleloading or cap-and-ball firearms, .40 caliber or larger and capable of firing only a single projectile at one discharge; in-lines and scopes are allowed.
    • Multiple-barreled muzzleloading or cap-and-ball firearms and/or muzzleloading or cap-and-ball handguns, including revolvers, .40 caliber or larger, are allowed and may be carried in addition to a muzzleloading or cap-and-ball rifle.
    • Centerfire pistols or revolvers using expanding-type bullets, such as lead or copper
    • Air-powered firearms, .40 caliber or larger, charged only from an external high compression power source (external hand pump, air tank, or air compressor)
    • Longbows, compound bows, and recurve bows of any draw weight; hand-held string-releasing devices, illuminated sights, scopes, and quickpoint sights are allowed.
    • Crossbows
    • Atlatls, which are defined as a rod or narrow board-like device used to launch, through a throwing motion of the arm, a dart 5 to 8 feet in length.

Prohibited

• Any rifle capable of being loaded by any means other than the muzzle
    • Shotguns
    • + several more regulations.

Team 444 - #748
    Team 1894 - #546
    Team .35 Rem - #741

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    My son will be using my scoped in-line and I will be using a percussion T/C Renegade in 54cal. We went out and sighted in yesterday. Our season starts the 28th and runs for 10 days. Like Mavrik said, not just muzzleloader season anymore. In Missouri an AR pistol is now legal to use during Alternative season.

This will be the first time I hunt with an open sight percussion muzzleloader. It will be interesting to say the least. I’ll keep my shots close for now until I get more time at the range. My eyes are not what they used to be, so maybe a 75 yard shot max, but more likely 50 or less for now.

I’ve watched a couple of videos on YouTube about the PA season and it looks like a lot of fun. A lot of videos about deer drives, which I have never done before. I have only hunted from a stand or still hunted.

Good luck to all.
    Team 39 #474, Team 60 #445, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #163, Team 22 Magnum #172
    Team Glenfield #85, Team 30-30 #1370, Team 32 Special #162, Team 35 #749,
    Team 444 ​#761, Team 45/70 #1831, ​Team Marlin Express

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Couldn't help but add my 2 cents. I live and hunt in Missouri, we used to have to make a choice between modern rifles and muzzleloaders. A hunter who chose to hunt with a muzzleloader could hunt during modern rifle season, provided they used a muzzleloader. Then we had a separate season afterwards for those who made the decision to go primitive. Very few in-lines were in use at this time, and a fellow had the opportunity to pretty much have the woods to himself, even on public land. All that changed roughly 20 years ago, when the Missouri Dept. of Conservation decided to allow anyone who bought a deer tag (including pretty much unlimited antlerless permits) to hunt either season with one license. What used to be a time when those who used more traditional muzzleloaders had the woods to themselves, became just an extension of the modern firearms season with plastic stocks, scopes and saboted bullets, capable of shooting nearly as far as a modern firearm. The hunting pressure increased exponentially, especially for those of us who hunt public land. Then to make matters even worse, the MO DOC came up with the idea of eliminating muzzleloader season altogether, and replacing it with something called Alternative Method Season. What this means is that pretty much anything goes, including scoped modern rifles, errrr, "handguns". Now the woods sounds like a war zone, as those who use "handguns", usually on an AR platform, with 15.75" barrels, scopes and detachable buttstocks can have a second modern rifle season. Those who hunt private land probably are not affected too much by this deer management solution, driven by lobbyist to reduce car/deer collisions and cut back on insurance claims. Those of us who hunt public land no longer have a viable place to hunt, if you actually want to see deer and experience a little solitude. This combined with "Youth Season", where many grown men buy tags in their children's names, to get an early crack at deer and an extra buck tag, have all but ended any realistic chance of an average working mope like myself ever getting to chance to see a deer, much less an mature buck. Don't even get me started on the legalization of crossbows during archery season here in Missouri, now the woods are full even during "bow " season. Just one guy's opinion/experience here in Missouri. I will soon give up hunting altogether, not because I want to, but there is no reason to get excited and prepared to go into dead and desolate, empty of game (but not the orange clad army) conservation areas.
    Last edited by ck5950074; 12-26-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I'll be out with the sparking muzzle loader as soon as I recover from the festivities of the season. Today I'll prep my possibles. Rifle is ready. I hate bare ground deer hunting. Hoping we have an inch or 2 of snow to brighten the woods these next 3 weeks. Good Luck and Have a Safe Hunt!
    Last edited by stumpy54; 12-26-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    Team Old Phart #70
    Team 32 Special #54
    Team 1894 #127
    Team 39 #148
    Team 45/70 #846

Deadeye
    Member #
    2019 Buck ML.jpg

Ret_Eng; Virginia's late muzzle loader season east of the Blue Ridge runs from December 14 through January 04. Didn't have much time available to hunt earlier in the season...almost missed the modern gun season entirely, but took this 6 point just at sunset the day after Christmas. I used to hunt with a conventional ML (a Lyman Deer Stalker 50 cal) but moved to this CVA Mountain Rifle using Blackhorn powder a few years ago. I love being in the woods late in the year...very quiet but difficult hunting; most deer are nocturnal this late in the season. My hat is off to all of the PA flintlock hunters...truly for an expert!
    Washington1331 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links