Best season of the year - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Best season of the year

Wrangler
    Member #
    Been tough so far for flintlock. Lots of rain and fog, not good for dry powder.
    Blew a shot yesterday, jumped 3 doe softly, was able to get within 40-50yds due to good wind and wet silent ground. Then flinched, blinked and slapped the trigger! Did about everything wrong. Oh well, the stalk was great, get one next time.
    Steve_In and JohnD13 like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    It is hard to hit when you do that. At least the rifle went off for you.
    I think I have reached for my gutting knife before the frizzen opened a couple of times myself.
    Steve_In
    People say money can't buy happiness But it can buy me a Marlin and ammo to shoot in it, dies, powder bullets...

Team Southpaw #9 TEAM 1894 #400

Wrangler
    Member #
    I was already planning the drag. Didn’t even set the trigger. My freezer is full, half think subconsciously I wanted to miss.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I went to a meeting with the DNR conerning our desires for a ML season. Looking at how things went, I wish I would not have. The Season is around Thanksgiving and often a miserable time of year to hunt. Also you would be pressed to see a historical muzzle loader out in the woods. The special seasons started a large business in producing muzzle loaders of more power and gimmicks. I have often thought I would like to build a true muzzle loading slug rifle to show the modern muzzle loaders what a true rifle can do instead of all the junk they produce now. At one time, muzzle loaders were made to stand side by side with a 45-70. Pedersoli made the Gibbs rifle that actually set a 1000 yard record. The English Whitworth was a fantastic sniper rifle at extreme ranges. Read Roberts (As in 257 Roberts) book called "The Muzzle Loading Cap Lock Rifle". At one time CVA made some affordable and very shootable traditional rifles. They are getting harder to find now.

DEP

Tinhorn
    Member #
    We have no special season here in Alberta, just a choice to use a muzzlegun in rifle season. I chose to use my Lyman .50 GPH for the elk hunt however, and it took 11 days (if I disrember correct), but succeeded. 5x4 meat bull at 26 yards.
    Cory
    Attached Images Attached Images
    sack likes this.
    Team .45-70 #1638

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Had to revive this thread - nice bull Cory! What was your load?

I've hunted with a .54 PRB at a chrono'd 1600 fps for deer and antelope. I recovered one ball from a nice wt buck after it penetrated from the front shoulder back towards the rear ham...found it partially flattened against the femur, which it broke. Took out 1 lung, clipped the liver and God knows what else. Decent, but not a perfect hit That buck made it a looong ways compounded by an over-eager hunter inexperienced with BP hunting. I jumped that buck twice and ultimately recovered it the next morning. I talked to a friend (from PA) that told me to treat roundball hits like arrow hits and to follow-up the same way - min 30 min wait. I think a good conical would change the game somewhat.
    There's a dude on youtube that paper-patches a cast bullet in his mz. I think he runs a pretty fast twist. I'd take a hard look at this set-up if I were to chase elk with a mz. I know I could do it with the .54 rb, but I'd just have to limit myself to archery range and shot angles.
    Last edited by mountainguy; 03-18-2020 at 10:53 AM. Reason: typo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links