Number of shots before cleaning and accuracy - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Number of shots before cleaning and accuracy

Gunfighter
    Member #
    In BPCR long range, we wipe between every shot to keep the bore condition the same. Muzzle loading a ball & spit patch does similar. A Maxi-ball, if shooting more than a couple shots, I do like Judson says.
    I have recently been using a BP substitute called MZ-BP, that is $10 a pound ordered through Sportsman's Warehouse. I use it in my leverguns when shooting BP matches & can get ten shots off without fouling out. Clean & good energy, similar to 777 (which I never could get great accuracy out of!).
    Steve_In and Flat Top like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    If you want maximum consistency you should clean after every shot, especially while sighting in a scoped rifle. Some guns have a noticeable shift in impact points when firing from a clean bore as opposed to a fouled bore. The shift in your rifle could be negligible, or it could be an appreciable distance. Soap and water is probably the easiest patch wetting substance. You can also do a mix of Balistol and water (moose milk) which works rather well as a bore cleaning agent.

When it comes to real black powder and its substitutes, you're not going to be able to get off a long string of shots while using sabots. Some propellants are better than others, but they still are not as good as smokeless. As such with out a good lube to keep that fouling soft, you're not going to be able to get away from changing group size due to fouling.

When I take my nieces out shooting my old trapdoor springfields I always reload my ammo with a copious amount of lube cookies to keep the fouling soft. 54 grains of 3Fg powder, a piece of wax paper, 1/4" lube cookie, card wad, and top off with a 405grain lee HB. If there is a lube star at the end of the muzzle, you're doing right. We've shot 50 rounds straight with no change in accuracy other than the cold clean bore point of impact change as stated above.

Good luck to you. Oh, and BTW stay away from Pyrodex. I've caused myself more work in de-rusting BP firearms after learning that the cleaning I did was not clean enough.
    Ray Newman, Flat Top and drinva like this.
    NRA Life Member Since Election Night 2008
    Team 45-70 #1184
    Proud Member of Uncle Sam's Confused Group Since 1998
    President League of Disgruntled O-4s, USCG Headquarters Chapter.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    On all rust prevention, I have used CVA's Rust Prevent Patches with darn good results inside the barrel and outside on the metal parts: CVA.jpg
    Flat Top likes this.
    Team 60 #324, Team .22 Magnum #114, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #102, Team Wheelguns #54, Team 700 #5, Team Semi-Auto #41, Team Henry #106

"Dying ain't so hard for men like you and me, it's the living that's hard" Ten Bears

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Remember also Ye Olde Cast Boolit Lube Adage:
    Black powder lube with Black Powder.
    Smokeless lube with smokeless.

Never switch them up (aka black powder lube with smokeless or vice versa) or you will end up with a nasty hard crusty mess!
    Flat Top likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links