Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mountainguy
  • 1 Post By Steve_In
  • 2 Post By gary bc

Thread: BP Brass shotshells

Deadeye
    Member #

BP Brass shotshells

Anyone dabble? I'm thinking about ordering some of those magtech hulls and giving it a try. Thinking about running them in an h&r for simplicity and ease of cleaning. Thoughts?
    Tachelberry likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Stay away from plastic wads Black Powder melts them.
    Also you will need a larger wad because the brass is thinner than plastic or paper shells.
    Tachelberry likes this.
    Steve_In
    People say money can't buy happiness But it can buy me a Marlin and ammo to shoot in it, dies, powder bullets...

Team Southpaw #9 TEAM 1894 #400

Tinhorn
    Member #
    ballistic products will have everything you need. i use a .125 over powder card two felt wads shot then a over shot card . then glue it with elmer's i do not want to crimp my cases have about 20 reloads in them. you can punch over shot cards from cracker boxes or any thing like that. over powder cards needs to be about .125 thick wads can be punched out of cork or similar material. your hardest part is going to be repriming. and there are about infinity recipe's out there.in the muzzleloader sights they talk of using plastic wads same as a saboo hell to clean out stay away. have fun gary
    Steve_In and Tachelberry like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Gary do you have to resize?
    My brother loaded a lot of BP shotgun shells. Paper was the worst. Plastic did last long, it got hard and split.

MountainGuy yo could always clean them in the dishwasher.
    Steve_In
    People say money can't buy happiness But it can buy me a Marlin and ammo to shoot in it, dies, powder bullets...

Team Southpaw #9 TEAM 1894 #400

Wrangler
    Member #
    I just loaded up a box of BP for the upcoming pheasant season. I will be using my 1887 Winchester. I use federal gold metal paper hulls
    and cut them to 2 1/2" with a square load. At some point I will try some Mag-tech Brass hulls.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I use the Mag-Tech cases for my 16 ga double. Nitro card wads and felt wads are 14 ga and the over shot wads are 15 ga. Circle - fly. no resize required.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    And when done shooting, do not forget to deprime and wash out the hulls with hot soapy water to remove the Black Powder residue.
    In real life may you be the bad ass you claim to be on social media....

Deadeye
    Member #
    I was wondering if I'd need to get one of those sizing dies for brass cases...my thought was that with a single shot they would all be fireformed to that particular chamber. So you're saying that the brass hulls will fit either chamber interchangeably without sizing?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    I use the Mag-Tech cases for my 16 ga double. Nitro card wads and felt wads are 14 ga and the over shot wads are 15 ga. Circle - fly. no resize required.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I've used MagTech 12ga shells for nitro, not black. If you use those shells be advised you should use 11ga felt wads and 11ga cards - not 12ga. That's because the walls of the shells are not as thick as the walls of paper or plastic shells and 12ga wads and cards are too small. I had good results with mine.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    no i don't have to resize as i only have one 12 gauge that i shoot brass in . i ultrasound clean mine. and yes 11 gauge wads.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links