alternatives to the maxi-hunter and maxi-ball bullets - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: alternatives to the maxi-hunter and maxi-ball bullets

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I have a bunch of them I was going to sell but recently moved. No telling what box they are in now and my garage is completely full of them.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Deadeye
    Member #
    seems like everyone has a mix opinion on them
    Flat Top likes this.
    Marlin 1895 Cowboy 45-70
    Marlin 444SS
    Henry 010B 45-70
    Henry Big Boy Steel .44 mag
    Henry Big Boy .45 colt

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by the_45_kid View Post
    anywho I was watching a video on 45 colt black powder loads and after seeing what he did it got me thinking. I saw him take a hairdryer to the smokeless lube and replace it with bore butter or some kinda wonderlube and used it in his BP loads. I was wondering if I can do the same thing with 50 cal cast bullets and replace the smokeless lube with bore butter/wonderlube and use it in my Hawken. The 50 cal cast bullet is sized at .501" and is 275gr and if the same concept was used in the 45 colt BP load I was wondering if I can do the same with the 50 cal except in a muzzleloader?
    It sounds like what you are trying to come up with would be very close to the Lee REAL 250 gr. boolit. Mine actually drop at just over 260 gr. and yes you should be able to replace the lube that way. I usually use the Lee tumble lube mixed with some Johnson's liquid floor wax (the floor wax keeps it from being as sticky).

t-117.jpg
    Flat Top and the_45_kid like this.
    Your reputation is what men say about you on your tombstone, your character is what the angels proclaim about you before the throne of God!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I use the Lee REAL bullet (320 grain) in my 50 cal (1-28 twist). I also use the Lee Tumble Lube, then coat it with cornstarch (keeps the lube on the bullet and not on me), then I put a card wad on the base of the bullet. At 80 and 110 grains of 777 it will shoot one hole groups at 50 yards............and believe me, it KILLS!!!!!
    the_45_kid and GITU1 like this.
    "Overkill.............is WAY underrated."
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/new-sg35-sg444-home/

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by GITU1 View Post
    It sounds like what you are trying to come up with would be very close to the Lee REAL 250 gr. boolit. Mine actually drop at just over 260 gr. and yes you should be able to replace the lube that way. I usually use the Lee tumble lube mixed with some Johnson's liquid floor wax (the floor wax keeps it from being as sticky).

t-117.jpg
    Finally someone who actually knows what I'm talkin about! I'm glad someone does because logically the diameter is at .501 and the cast bullets work fine for BP 50-90 so I'm hyped to try em in a muzzleloader albeit I gotta dip em in bore butter. Then again its an all better deal than the maxi-hunters/ball
    GITU1 likes this.
    Marlin 1895 Cowboy 45-70
    Marlin 444SS
    Henry 010B 45-70
    Henry Big Boy .45 colt

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Top View Post
    I use the Lee REAL bullet (320 grain) in my 50 cal (1-28 twist). I also use the Lee Tumble Lube, then coat it with cornstarch (keeps the lube on the bullet and not on me), then I put a card wad on the base of the bullet. At 80 and 110 grains of 777 it will shoot one hole groups at 50 yards............and believe me, it KILLS!!!!!
    I'll have to try that out when I get a chance
    Flat Top likes this.
    Marlin 1895 Cowboy 45-70
    Marlin 444SS
    Henry 010B 45-70
    Henry Big Boy .45 colt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links