New Old Revolver - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: New Old Revolver

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    From what I have seen the British liked the 45 caliber in revolvers also for military use. Seen lots of old Webley's pictured.
    Yeah, the various early Webleys were typically somewhere from .450 to .476. Still a bit apathetic though, at only around 700fps at the muzzle.

But fun to shoot, particularly with black powder cartridges.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark1894 View Post
    Yeah, the various early Webleys were typically somewhere from .450 to .476. Still a bit apathetic though, at only around 700fps at the muzzle.

But fun to shoot, particularly with black powder cartridges.
    Apathetic? not in practice. The big heavy slow slugs tended to be better man stoppers than the faster lighter bullets. Remember the old reliable .45acp at 230grns travel at around 850fps. Way slower than a 115 grn 9mm. The Colt .36s were failing in places like the Crimea and Africa, while the heavy British bullets were very effective.

The argument between light and fast vs heavy and slow goes on today. Too much penetration means lots of the energy being spent burying itself in a nearby hillside or building. Big and heavy can mean dumping more energy in the target. Its a way complicated subject, dont get me started on permanent and temporary cavities. Another complication is bullet design, today we have enhanced munitions like Sps HPs Frangible etc. etc.. Victorians had less, until the invention of the Dum Dum in India. Yes, its a place.

I am no expert, but have some minor experience. If defending my life I will chose heavy and slow (ie .45 acp) over fast and light (9mm) anyday. Those Victorians knew what they were doing because of hard experience in almost every corner of the world.
    rob42049 likes this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Wrangler
    Member #
    I dunno. I've read a number of complaints about the .455 being relatively ineffective compared to modern rounds due to just drilling a hole through the target, with even the 'man stopper' rounds not really expanding much on impact. But for its time, I'm sure it was at least as good as the competition.

Actually, this (one of the first things a web search discovered) is pretty interesting:

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...55-Penetration

From those results it would appear the .455 was likely to go right through a human--with the modern replica of the 'man stopper' actually penetrating further than the round-nose bullet--while the .38 that replaced the .455 would tumble and stop in the body.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links