Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Drm50
  • 1 Post By edcknives
  • 1 Post By Steve_In

Thread: 22cal revolver

Distinguished Master
    Member #

22cal revolver

My buddy just bought a 22 cal repro of what looks like a 36 Navy Colt. A retired machinist made these and they are really built. We need some load info on powder. We are going to try 22cal BBs for air guns ( lead) for bullets. I am also
    going to pour some pure lead RN & FN bullets that I have for 218B. This is something neither of us has come across before.
    palmetto pirate and rob42049 like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    NAA sells them: https://northamericanarms.com/parts/parts-cb/

They are 30 grain lead balls

I think doing a RN mold if you can find one is the way to go IMO. You could possibly create a 40 grain projectile to up the performance over the round ones. I believe they are right around .221-.222 in diameter but you would probably need to mic the chambers and bore if the specs aren't available.
    rob42049 likes this.
    Matthew 25:40 / WWJD
    Favorite caliber- How is that even possible?
    The more I know the less I understand.
    Recovering Redneck / Recovering Catholic / Recovered racist
    Monotheistic Secular Humanist

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Yea, I've seen the NAA jobs. They are novelties and not much use. This one may not be either unless it is accurate. Still a novelty to me but gun is full size and may shoot.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by edcknives View Post
    NAA sells them: https://northamericanarms.com/parts/parts-cb/

They are 30 grain lead balls

I think doing a RN mold if you can find one is the way to go IMO. You could possibly create a 40 grain projectile to up the performance over the round ones. I believe they are right around .221-.222 in diameter but you would probably need to mic the chambers and bore if the specs aren't available.
    A round ball for a 22 is considerably lighter than 30 grains. The 25 cal round ball I use in my flintlock weigh 23 grains. I would have ot look it up but a 22 ball would only weigh about 18-20 grains at most. They may have some conicals that hit 30 grains. Problem with BP and a 22 C&B like mentioned is that due there is a big loss of powder capacity when you down size the caliber. The 32 Dragoons used a 50 gr ball and gave about 750 fps. The 22 would be hard pressed to give any real velocity although the extra length of a Navy cylinder might help. You should check the diameter as a revolver should slightly shave the ball or bullet when seating.

DEP

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    A round ball for a 22 is considerably lighter than 30 grains. The 25 cal round ball I use in my flintlock weigh 23 grains. I would have ot look it up but a 22 ball would only weigh about 18-20 grains at most. They may have some conicals that hit 30 grains. Problem with BP and a 22 C&B like mentioned is that due there is a big loss of powder capacity when you down size the caliber. The 32 Dragoons used a 50 gr ball and gave about 750 fps. The 22 would be hard pressed to give any real velocity although the extra length of a Navy cylinder might help. You should check the diameter as a revolver should slightly shave the ball or bullet when seating.

DEP
    Click on the link in my post; they are 30 grain conicals. You could probably use 1 to 2 grains of 22 cal smokeless IMO. People do that in the NAA ones though it’s not advertised for the obvious reasons of the plethora of boneheads out there that would push that and damage themselves.
    Matthew 25:40 / WWJD
    Favorite caliber- How is that even possible?
    The more I know the less I understand.
    Recovering Redneck / Recovering Catholic / Recovered racist
    Monotheistic Secular Humanist

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    One of the guys that used to show up at our club matches had a Ruger .22/.22mag that he had converted to cap and ball.
    He used the mag cylinder. He machined it to take a nipple. He removed the cylinder and had a loading press to seat the bullet. Capped through the loading gate.
    It was VERY accurate with bullets. He could shoot anything well though.
    It probably would not be hard to sleeve a cylinder and barrel to .22 or .257.
    rob42049 likes this.
    Steve_In
    People say money can't buy happiness But it can buy me a Marlin and ammo to shoot in it, dies, powder bullets...

Team Southpaw #9 TEAM 1894 #400

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links