Working the Bird Dog - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Working the Bird Dog

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    He's a beautiful dog. Thanks for sharing the great pictures! I always enjoy seeing the pictures you post, great country out there!
    M700 and Kendawg like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Nice shots of Maverick and the outdoors! Good action shot of him coming out of the water. Beautiful. Glad he’s working out for you. It took our German Shepherd nearly 3 years to “mature” and settle down but it was worth the wait. She’s a lot of fun to be with in the woods and a great watch dog.
    M700 likes this.
    -Kendawg

Team Wheelguns #73, Team Remington 700 #63, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #135, Team Winchester #131, Team 1894 #515

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Great pics and thanks for sharing them.
    M700 likes this.
    Team 39 #474, Team 60 #445, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #163, Team 22 Magnum #172
    Team Glenfield #85, Team 30-30 #1370, Team 32 Special #162, Team 35 #749,
    Team 444 ​#761, Team 45/70 #1831, ​Team Marlin Express

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Just gotta love good bird dogs, no matter what the breed. If the average American worker had the work ethic of a bird dog, production would be through the roof.

Here's Jasta, my 12 year old Brittany. I couldn't even begin to count the number of roosters that we've bagged together.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Keep your powder dry,
    Scharfschuetze

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Every walk is a chance to slip in a little bit of training, does not have to be much just a few whistle recalls as an example. Over a week then a month it can be surprising at how far you can come, Well from the dogs perspective he's out for a walk and when he does what he's asked he get praised ain't walks fun. Gar.
    Padraig, M700 and Kendawg like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by M700 View Post
    Yes he is. About a year and a half old. And a rescue dog at that. He came into our lives in August, needing a home & family. Apparently we needed a dog too.

Our last GWP died in the spring, and we'd just about gotten used to not having a dog around for the first time in over 20 years... Then friends told us about young Maverick, needing a home. He's been good for me, and I think we've done well by him too. Obedience training took a couple of months. Then we set to hunting, though he'd had very little training for that. He did passably well, helping me bring home nine pheasants last fall. I think he'll do better this year.

Meanwhile, he gives me something to do a couple of hours every day, and I like that.

Regards, Guy
    They used to like older dogs for pointing Ruffed Grouse for the reasons you mentioned. I always liked to have the dogs fairly close when hunting, not using a flag or some indicator so I could see them off in the distance. Some have electronic finders especially around here in the brush for grouse.. Pheasant were a lot of fun with a pointer but as the season wore on the Shorthairs I had learned to "road" or point then repoint until they could maybe in one down. Some just liked to run till they could flush out of range. Still a lot of fun.

DEP
    Gareth Holland likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    He must have run about 6 miles today while I walked a bit over 2 miles. He took a few dips in the Columbia as well, but... Since the temp was in the mid 30's with a brisk breeze blowing, I declined to swim with the dog today:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links