Protecting Your Bird Dog? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Protecting Your Bird Dog?

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I'd have done exactly as you did. You'd have a tough time of killing a bear tangling with your pup. They'd both end up dead. Leashed and secured you would be able to focus on the bear.

AC
    jgriffin1988 and M700 like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    A skin stapler is a very useful tool to have in a dog or human first aid kit. Actualy ours kit is both, LOL.

www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=c8593e04-7e14-431f-b59c-19ee54558c94&itemguid=c2a1fa6b-e144-4bb0-955a-d8542d58c8f4#tab-review

You should still see your Vet to get it checked out and treat for possible infection. Also, if you don't plan on having your Vet remove the staples...get the removal tool also. There are articles and videos on line that show how to use it.

Padraig

Last edited by Padraig; 12-21-2019 at 10:48 AM.
    Gareth Holland likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Don't know why the link isn't active. Hopefully a mod will fix and tell me where i went wrong.

Padraig
    Last edited by Padraig; 12-21-2019 at 04:52 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    My Dad kept 3 bird dogs at minimum. We hunted Ohio, Wva and Pa mostly. At the time our biggest worry was early in season one of the dogs would get snake bit. None of ours ever did, guess we were lucky.
    Goldtrigger likes this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    a couple mates for clark might be a good thing, that handgun on your hip is also a good thing.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I'd think there would be some safety in numbers--having several dogs. Probably they'd help protect each other.

And while you're worrying about something, worry about Lyme Disease also and other Tick borne diseases. Our ankle biter came down with Lyme just before Christmas. Symptoms range from nothing in 90% of dogs to immediate kidney failure and quick death.
    Ours has the arthritis. It has really change his level of activity. Acts like he hurts all the time.

We travel often to NC and although we only walk the neighborhood roads and he is kept out of the grass, he ends up with 1-2 ticks each trip. Once a tick attaches, you have no more than 24 hours to remove that tick before the bacteria are transferred, and dog becomes infected. It can take the ticks several days to find an attachment point, usually on the head/neck but it could be anywhere. And the tick may not be detectable until it has swelled up from the blood.

So, I'd say to go over your dogs very well after they've been in the field. And then go over them again each day for the next three days.

You should do that for yourself, too.

Consider getting an anti tick collar for your dogs. There's one called "Seresto" that's supposed to be very good. It should be good, as it's expensive. But it's good for 8 months. Kills the ticks before they bite. Search around on the net for the best price.

There's one very nasty tick that produces an allergen that makes humans allergic to meat. After being sensitized, eating meat causes anaphylaxis, and sometimes death.

Nasty little critters, ticks.
    Gareth Holland and M700 like this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    If your dog tests positive for Lymes the usual treatment is doxycycline for four weeks. Insist on six weeks of doxycycline. Four has been shown to be too short by many east coast vets.

Padraig
    Last edited by Padraig; 01-18-2020 at 08:29 AM.

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    Be careful when buying Seresto collars. If the price is lower than $50 each you are buying a fake one from China. Ask me how I know....
    Jeff

"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver

"Don't worry 'bout the mule, just load the wagon." Unknown

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I’ve had some (numerous) hunting dog and wolves-problems over the years. Wolves are attracted to dog urine, dogs are attracted to wolf urine. If you want to see a pack of wolves close up, make sure your hunting dog pees on the wolves boundary scent markers. They will come right into your camp, looking for the offender. More wolves are killed by other wolves than any other means, they will not tolerate other wolves in their hunting area. Don’t let your dog wander off when you are out hunting in areas with wolves.
    M700 likes this.
    Team 45/70, #1956

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links