New Bird Dog - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree211Likes

Thread: New Bird Dog

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Two mile walk this morning along the paved riverfront trail.

So many birds, bugs, bicycles, dogs and people to distract him! Every one of them needed his attention. He tried to point every doggone bird along the way!

Went for a swim/wade in the Columbia about halfway through. He had a good time and exhausted himself. He's napping on the floor at home now.

Guy
    cajun56, jml, jgriffin1988 and 8 others like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Got off the phone with the GWP Rescue Association a bit ago. They say that he and his brother are both GWP's, this one just has an uncharacteristic short coat.

Got a few photos this afternoon, following his nap. Gotta time these things ya know:

Yup, some bonding going on now.

Guy

Distinguished Master
    In an old beaver swamp in upstate New York
    Member #
    Congratulations Guy,

Enjoy your new family member.
    M700, jgriffin1988, mikom and 2 others like this.
    Supporter of USA Olympic shooting Team
    Since 1987.
    Team Oliver Tractor 550

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by no primers View Post
    Congratulations Guy,

Enjoy your new family member.
    Thanks. He's got a lot of trust issues still. We'll work on 'em nice and easy.

Guy

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Guy,he'll be okay! I rescued a Husky puppy from a pet shop. My God she was with me for 17 years! She was a red with blue eyes and till the end she was the devil dog and I miss her. The other 2 Huskies i had were sled dogs and were very vocal,I miss them. Cherish Maverick as we all will,I can't get a dog right now,keep us posted with his progress.
    Team 30 30 #1434 Team semi auto pistol #78
    Team 45/70 #1965
    Team .35 Rem #785
    Team .22 Mag #195
    Team Old Phart #390

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    IMG_0053.JPG
    Showed the picture before but this is our rescue dog. She was named Lucy at the shelter and the name stuck although I have come close to renaming her. Stinker fits both for personality and her propensity to find either something dead and stinking or manure which she has to roll in. With the white coat it does stand out. Very clean dog as she gets lots of baths. Narrowed down to being at least part Jack Russel Terrier although a bit large for that breed. She does hunt and probably would make a good flusher for pheasant as well as a squirrel dog. I saw a police dog that was a rescue dog. Small for a police dog but made up for it in attitude. Eliminates the hip problems that plagues pure bred Shepherds.

I had German Shorthairs but have been told the Wirehairs are a little calmer. The shorthairs were almost too smart for their own good but great dogs. Biggest problem I had with the ones from Germany was that they also doubled as guardians. While its not all bad they might bite the wrong person, so with grand children we got fussy on which dogs to get. I have always maintained that one of my shorthairs taught me how to pheasant hunt. He would not point nor do anything for crap in training. Got desperate and took him to a shooting preserve where he promptly showed me what he could do without all that irritation. He had an offspring which was crossed with a spaniel that also was a bit too smart for his own good. Always said he had a hearing problem and the training collar vibrated the wax out of his ears. He was a very good hunting dog. I was not really mean to them but one had to be showed the error of his ways about once a hunting season and then he behaved. Always thought on the first day I should take him out and shake him up a bit and tell him that was for nothing now I dare you to try something. Mine did not need a lot of actual hunting training and made good companions for the rest of the year. Hope Maverick works out. Bet he will once he gets you trained.

DEP
    mikom, M700 and Reload like this.

Site Contributor Extraordinaire & Team 444 Captain Super Moderator
    Member #
    Congratulations on aquiring Maverick. You two will be so good for each other!
    M700 likes this.
    David ("Feo, Fuerte y Formal")
    CW3, US Army (Ret)
    09/26/1968-05/31/1990
    Vietnam Veteran - 2 Tours
    كافر. المسلحة. جاهزة
    Vulnerata, Fortis, Dignus Veterani

Only two defining forces have ever died for you:
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, & Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Founder (Member# 1) of Team 444 Marlin®

Contributing Member
    Member #
    It's been nearly two weeks since my first post re Maverick. We have had some grand adventures, which I've documented elsewhere. He's been getting a walk almost every day. I think I missed one day. Some days he's getting two walks. They've ranged from a few blocks upwards to six miles. He's getting daily obedience training, and I've discovered that he dearly loves to play fetch with either a stick or a tennis ball.

He's fitting in well here at home, and has made huge strides with meeting people. He's really quite relaxed about most people, although a strange man walking towards him, or us, puts him on guard instantly. I'm okay with that.

Yesterday with me, in the park, meeting nice folks:

On one of our walks:

Cooling off in a mountain lake:

He is "birdy" as all get out and has a natural pointing instinct! I think this is going to be a good relationship!

Thanks for all the positive comments guys.

Guy

Reload, jog, schartzross and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    I hate to break the bad news to you Guy, you will end up hunting and he will stay home by the fire place, ya'll have him spoiled like mine! haha that is a nice looking dog for sure! glad he got a good home and you have a new friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    no primers, Reload, M700 and 1 others like this.
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

everybody has a plan until they get hit in the mouth,,mike Tyson,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

jog
    Wrangler
    Member #
    Beautiful dog, I have the same rug!
    Reload and M700 like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links