Put down my bird dog today - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Put down my bird dog today

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    We got our rescue dog, Lucy, from a local no kill shelter. Costs are about what one should pay for vet fees if they get a "free dog". While she came neutered, that is not all bad as I doubt I would find a good cross for her up here. She does not replace Brady, the dog in my Avatar, but it feels good having her around. She is a young dog and reminds me of a teenager which she is in dog years, a two year old. Came house broke and generally obedience trained. May need a "hearing aid" as I call electonic collars. Had one for another good dog I had which made him the good dog. Not as cruel as some think. I would test it by holding it in hand and pushing the button to see if would work. If it shocked me it worked. Nothing like the electric fences we use to keep horses in.

It took a little bit but getting another dog was worth it. Feel good about getting a rescue dog. May not work for someone that likes show dogs and good pointers. May depend on the area. Still I prefer mutts like ours as I have had all kinds of bad luck with pure breds. Almost 50-50 good and bad. For what I would pay for a pure bred I like better odds. Biggest thing is that the new dog helps fill the emptiness and does not eliminate the memories. I still think about the old Chessie I had that taught me to keep my mouth shut when she was retrieving. I was yelling and doing what ever I could to get her to hunt in an area I was sure the cripple was in. She ignored me and came back with the cripple where it wasn't supposed to be. The one that had the shock collar was like that. Got one pheasant I did not have to shoot as it had to run a ways to fly and its take off strip was not long enough. Generally with that dog, if I shot it I got it. He was a cross between a springer and a shorthair. As I say memories.

DEP
    M700 likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    My sympathy.

There is no love like a dog's, and sadly, that means there is no loss like theirs.
    M700 likes this.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Guy, So sorry to hear about Clark. I know you will miss him. I've always enjoyed your pictures.

BTW, you will know my as twillis on the now defunct forum at handloads.com

Terry
    M700 likes this.
    The Lord Bless You

Terry

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Sorry for your loss my friend.

I had to put ours down today. He made it 16 years - but could barely walk anymore and had basically quit eating. I just couldn't stand to see him suffer anymore.
    M700 likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    They really become family after a while. I'm sorry for the loss, but I take it he was well cared for and had a great run. He knew it too.
    M700 likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I do miss him. An awful lot. He was a good buddy.

Camping with me. I guess he considered the little backpacking tent our "den."

With my son, on a chilly pheasant hunt:

Hits me time to time. When I come home, and he's not at the door to meet me. Tonight, while I'm home alone, listening to music and wishing I had my dog to talk with. Dang.

Most of the time though, it's getting easier. Slowly. Ah well, we've all lost dogs before. I sure have. Guess ol' Clark was just special and I really figured he'd go on another few years.

Thanks for all the good wishes guys. I really appreciate it. He was a good dog.

Guy

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links