NYC Assembly woman release bill Prop A600 to stop Pheasant hunting - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: NYC Assembly woman release bill Prop A600 to stop Pheasant hunting

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Both PA and OH release pen raised pheasants to be hunted. A good friend of my who retired from the Ohio Division of Wildlife told me that the the number of released birds which survive to naturalize in the wild is less than 1%. The rest are either taken by hunters, hawks, coyotes, or starve, as they do not know where nor how to look for food that isn't in a feed tray.

Pheasant numbers have been decimated in the wild by the use of agricultural pesticides,--reduces insects utilized for food--and the early cutting of hay, which catches the hens sitting on the nests. In addition, nearly all the fence rows have been removed, so there are fewer nesting sites, and those nests are more easily found by predators using the fence rows for highways.

I'm neither for it or against it, but those birds are raised to be killed, either by two or four legged hunters. The release programs benefit very few hunters, only those few who can find out where and when the birds are to be released. (They can usually be seen wandering aimlessly around a bare corn field, pasture, or along the road.) They are usually all gone, one way or another, inside two or three days.

Personally, I'd rather see more private game farms which raise and release birds on their own or leased property for hunting. In my opinion, the state game departments should be spending their monies on habitat restoration and/or acquisition of public game lands instead of raising meat birds.
    Vooch, gunscrewguy, M700 and 2 others like this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Wrangler
    Member #
    PA finally introduced a pheasant stamp several years back, and then the idiots claim it doesn’t cover the costs.
    Used to get 10-16 birds a year over my dog on game lands put and take. Heck of a deal for a $20 general license. Was paying $16 a bird at game farms at the time. Sucks for hunting though, crowds and you can count on being sprayed with shot. And the guys with PHC contacts always were waiting for the trucks.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    She should keep her city idiot mouth shut! Upstate does not want to hear it!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Lightbulb

Is this a simple case of Anti Gun City people trying to find a way to stop Hunting so they can campaign that we don't "NEED" guns and they should be Confiscated? Am I missing something? Even if that were not true, we need protection from IDIOT anti gun city people.

Mike T.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Big city folks consider us to be Neanderthals. I consider them to be living in fantasy. ("If only they'd give up their guns and savage hunting all would be well")

They obviously don't recognize God's natural laws of good and evil, eye for an eye, survival of the fittest, foraging for sustenance, protecting one's self, and family, destroying evil...shall I go on? They seem to think that Big Government is a kind of God that can make everything safe, fulfilled, and happy.

Governments are created by people who are inherently flawed.

AC

Contributing Member
    Member #
    1 She shouldn't be messing with hunting. Period.

2. I grew up hunting wild pheasants, but later moved to an area where there aren't many wild pheasants. I do however dearly love pheasant hunting... I do hunt our wild quail, grouse and chukar birds, but for pheasants I joined a pheasant club and take great joy in those hunts, which are admittedly much easier. So ya, I pay for my pheasants, and enjoy every hunt as well as every delicious bite!

It's nice to introduce new hunters to upland game, at the club. My dog is going to find birds. The terrain is much more gentle. The birds usually (not always!) hold tight so shots tend to be at modest range. It's not a challenging hunt, but an awful lot of fun.

The only time it has been truly challenging was when I decided to take my bow, instead of my shotgun... But that's a story for another day!

Back to point #1 - she really ought to leave hunting alone. It simply doesn't concern her.

Regards, Guy

Contributing Member
    Member #
    And as hunters, we have to remember, sadly, that we're a tiny percentage of the population.

If they really want to, hunting can be outlawed.

Need to recognize that... And put our best foot forward. Talk about the wildlife conservation funded by hunter's dollars for so many decades now... That kind of thing.

'Cause if they really want... hunting can be outlawed.

Guy

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Just saw that she also introduced a bill that would ban the sale of fur coats in NY State.

Vooch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    94win30wcf and gunscrewguy like this.

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    I say, kill it and grill it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by M700 View Post
    And as hunters, we have to remember, sadly, that we're a tiny percentage of the population.

If they really want to, hunting can be outlawed.

Need to recognize that... And put our best foot forward. Talk about the wildlife conservation funded by hunter's dollars for so many decades now... That kind of thing.

'Cause if they really want... hunting can be outlawed.

Guy
    They wouldn't get away with it. Here in PA we have the Game Commission, the Fish and Boat commission, hatcheries, and a large number of employees that stock the fish, and Conservation Officers that enforce the Laws. They investigate dead, untagged game animals, and arrest poachers.

What's more, Our state has a lot of Black Bears and good sized deer. We have an Elk herd that is growing, and there's a lottery to get an Elk Tag. Hunting in PA puts hunters out in the woods, Hunters come from other states to Hunt here. People have hunting cabins, Camps, and those that don't stay at motels close to where they hunt. Bars and restaurants like the extra business and welcome hunters.

There are many people like me that have PA Hunting License, but don't hunt game animals. In my case I have a Life-Time Senior Hunting License that is already paid for, and a Sportsman Permit that is also paid. I use the state owned rifle range to practice, and Scout the game lands and sometimes private land with the owner's permission, to put down Coyotes that kill livestock. Sporting Good Stores and Big Box stores carry Hunting Clothing, accessories, boots, ammo, you name it.

In short, Hunting is BIG BUSINESS. $$$$$$$$$ Some yahoo from the City is NOT going to take away our Rights. The License fees we pay go toward the Game Commission and game protection from IDIOTS. That includes Tourists and other city people that vacation in our state and don't have the good sense on how to dress properly, use a map and compass, and not get lost.

Mike T.
    Last edited by miket156; 03-18-2019 at 03:42 PM.
    gunscrewguy and shawlerbrook like this.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links