Memories - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Memories

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Thanks for posting this. He looks just like my first Golden that I got when he was 12 weeks old. I used to walk him without a leash and several times folks would stop and asked me who trained my dog. He went duck hunting with me near Stuttgart Ark. and loved every minute.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Thanks for sharing. Nothing like spending time with a good hunting dog. Best friends in the world. Sorry he's gone where all good dogs go. I know it's a big loss.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    100_0098.JPGThis one brings back a lot of memories. I wasn't hunting geese purposely and came across this one sitting in a wood duck pond Dropped him with one shot with a load of steel 5's out of my 16 ga. The dog had never seen a goose before and did not know what to do with something that large. He kind of pushed it back into shore. The goose was dropped with one shot as I purposely aimed at the head. The wood duck underneath was in a different pond and 3 shots, the first knocked him down the second two were swatters to try and keep him from reaching the weeds as they can be difficult to fine. About the time you feel a bit cocky you get humbled again. Quite a day for both of us.

DEP

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Mans best friend for sure. Dogs are hard, they are so loyal and devoted but only here for a short time.
    northmn likes this.
    Team 45-70
    Team 1894
    NRA Lifetime/Endowment Member
    USMC 0331

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Thanks for sharing the photos and memories. My in-laws always kept bird dogs and I remember some good times hunting with them. We have buried a number of our own dogs and I still miss them all.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Lots of the memories are for times that will are gone, not just because of the special times shared with a companion, but also other things. Last few years the ducks seem to be coming through later in the season in one big rush before freeze up. I have not seen any in the little ponds and streams after opening weekend. Don't hear the shots I used to hear from close by lakes in the mornings and evenings and don't see the ducks fly over in the evenings. My endurance is not what it was either and I cannot walk the trails like I used to nor the fields for pheasant. Pheasant hunting at its best was a lot of miles on foot. Mostly I think my days of bird hunting are winding down. Stiff joints, lack of endurance and change.

Been nice to have ha the digital cameras sooner. Would have been able to preserve a lot more memories. I had a Chesapeake that learned to dive after cripples. Shot one once that I thought I would have to run down in the boat. The dog jumped out and Chased it so I could not swat it. After it dove right in front of him a couple of times he went down after it and came back up with it. After that it happened more than once. Good times.

DEP
    Vooch likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links