Breed of Choice and why?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: Breed of Choice and why?

Deadeye
    Member #

Breed of Choice and why?

I've been a GSP guy - nice dogs and basically instant bird dogs with some basic obedience. Thought about wirehairs or drahthaars too but keep coming back to gsps. Friendly dogs too - maybe a little wound up...how about you - what's your breed of choice and why? Also, what do you mainly hunt? We're pheasant chasers 80% of the time with some waterfowl and grouse thrown in for variety. Looking forward to hearing about them dogs!
    Steven M., Judson, M700 and 7 others like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I have not had a bird dog in a lot of years now. However in my younger days my buddy and I hunted with Brittany's. A lot of dog in a smaller package. We hunted grouse and pheasants with them. I lived in town so a smaller dog worked better for me. They are a dog with a big heart. The old boy could always hunt longer then I could. Here is a picture of me while we were out pheasant hunting. I will always have good memories of being out in the field with him.

39517084_Brit.jpg

Jim
    Steven M., DRSLYR, Judson and 13 others like this.
    Marlin 39A
    Marlin 1894C 357 Magnum
    Marlin 1894 44 Magnum (x2)
    Marlin 336 35 Rem.
    Marlin 1895GS 45-70

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have MT CURS ,of all the hounds I've had they are the smartest and the gamiest ,they are tree dogs but will bay and catch anything they can handle .
    Steven M., DRSLYR, locoman and 4 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I like most dogs but Chihuahuas get on my nerves.
    336A 30-30
    30AS 30-30
    Model 60
    XT-22

Team 336 #1111
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #24

Contributing Member
    Member #
    American Pit Bull Terrier

1) Most powerful jaw pressure for biting trespassers/intruders
    2) Very, very strong, for weight ration, good for felling and dragging said trespassers/intruders
    3) Determination, they don't give up.
    4) Loyalty, while mentioned lin the middle, it's as important as any of the others
    5) Intimidation factor, when it's running toward the trespasser/intruder, they are scared to death.
    6) It's the most historic American breed.
    7) gaurds property and family members .

But I figure you're referring to hunting canines......here ya go......

Last edited by MarlinManCB45/70; 03-28-2018 at 07:59 AM.
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

In Dixie Land I'll Take My Stand , To Live And Die in Dixie

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Golden Retrivers and Setters for me. Like their despostions and trainability. I like them to live with me. No kennels for us.
    R. Highhawk

Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

TEAMS 45-70, 30-30, 1894, Browning

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    It took me a while but I think I got it, GSP = German Shorthair Pointer. I've known some nice ones.
    Right now I'm working with a Cocker Spaniel. More of a house pet than a hunter tho.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I owned a wonderful Springer Spaniel that was an excellent flusher. Loved hunting pheasants with him. Alas, old age took its toll as with all of our man's best friends. I'm sure he is now flushing pheasant out of the clouds.
    Andrew
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Hey MountainGuy -- from the dog you have now and the breeds you're considering, it's obvious your idea of a bird dog is a pointer and not a flusher, so I will limit my comments to pointers. (Nothing wrong with that; just an observation. I've owned both and I prefer a dog that points as opposed to one that flushes).

My pointing dogs have been 3 Brittanys and now a GSP. Every dog is an individual, and any dog from any of the recognized breeds CAN or COULD be the best dog you've ever owned, or the worst. Some generalizations, though, are possible. Now, I've had more experience, obviously, with Brits than GSP's since my ownership ratio (between those two pointing breeds) is 3:1 in favor of Brits. However, let me draw some conclusions that hopefully have merit based on my experience.

An old saying has always been that one trains a GSP "with a 2 X 4 with nails coming out of the end." I think there is some merit to this. Even today, my GSP will often do what HE wants even though he knows I want him to do something different. In the dog world we call this "lack of biddability." To a far larger degree, the only time my Brits didn't do what I wanted is when they didn't UNDERSTAND what I wanted. In a nutshell, Brits generally have a much stronger desire to please their masters/mistresses, thus, on average making them more biddable than GSP's and easier to train.

My current pointing dog (the GSP) doesn't have a mean bone in his body, is very birdy, and holds well to his points. So, he does have positive qualities. I mean, hey, I've killed birds over him in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, and South Dakota. However, for the next dog I'm going back to Brits. My Brits have been more lovable, just as birdy, just as steady on point, better retrievers after the shot, and there was never the "battle of wills" that I'm sometimes still contending with even though the GSP is now 7 years old.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Not easy to find but look into the Irish Red & White Setters. Great bird dogs and family dog.

Padraig

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links