Breed of Choice and why? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: Breed of Choice and why?

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Did a massive amount of bird hunting in Kansas through my life. My best Dogs were all Labradors. Raised and hunted behind several. Believe it or not the majority of ours would point when the birds held. Best all around breed in my opinion for pheasant, quail,doves and waterfowl. I am prejudiced though.
    M700 likes this.
    Not responsible for what people think, just what I am.

Wrangler
    Member #
    We did a little waterfowl hunting...we had a field Irish Setter that was really good and then a Chesapeake Bay Retrieve when the Setter passed. The Chesy was a water dog through and through. Both were good waterfowl dogs, the Setter was a better all-around hunting dog.

I have a once removed AKC Beagle...once removed meaning she came from a line of hunting dogs as a puppy, but I've never worked her. She is instinctive when it comes to rabbits to this day....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    I realize this thread is mostly about bird hunting dogs, but I have to plug my favorite breed, the Great Dane. They have little interest in birds, but will hunt anything that walks on the ground from mice to moose. I'm only guessing on the latter, but I've watched my Danes hunt and catch mice, rats, squirrels, opossum, and of course they're famous for hunting large game. Mine have been smart and trainable, but hunting is in their DNA and they will engage in it completely on their own if allowed. Unlike some breeds, they will scan the trees for game, so little escapes their attention. And once they have the scent, they are incredibly determined.

Guarding is also in their DNA. I've never felt safer than with a Dane. They are incredibly sensitive to human emotion--particularly nervousness/fear--and are very discerning with strangers. While they tend to develop very strong bonds with their master, they will guard the whole family instinctively, and with very measured application of strength/force. When my daughter was still in a stroller, I noticed, with tremendous satisfaction, that my big male, Blue, would move from my side and place himself in front of the stroller whenever strangers drew near. Given their size, they make an awesome deterrent.

They are great companions for people of all ages. They will rough-house enthusiastically with big men, and tiptoe around babies. The downside is that they are incredibly endearing, and their lives are not nearly long enough. But when are they ever?

AD
    navajo, Sambane and M700 like this.
    Ranger Point Precision (Houston, TX) - We design and manufacture performance firearm parts for Marlin Firearms, Henry Repeating Arms, Winchester, Steyr Arms pistols (Polymer stocks, trigger kits, medium loop levers and takedown screws, peep and fiber optic sights, Marlin 1894 extractors, picatinny scope mounts, dovetail fillers, flyweight loading gates, mag followers and more). rangerpointprecision.com Our new motorcycle parts division can be found at rppmoto.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerPointPrecision View Post
    I realize this thread is mostly about bird hunting dogs, but I have to plug my favorite breed, the Great Dane. They have little interest in birds, but will hunt anything that walks on the ground from mice to moose. I'm only guessing on the latter, but I've watched my Danes hunt and catch mice, rats, squirrels, opossum, and of course they're famous for hunting large game. Mine have been smart and trainable, but hunting is in their DNA and they will engage in it completely on their own if allowed. Unlike some breeds, they will scan the trees for game, so little escapes their attention. And once they have the scent, they are incredibly determined.

Guarding is also in their DNA. I've never felt safer than with a Dane. They are incredibly sensitive to human emotion--particularly nervousness/fear--and are very discerning with strangers. While they tend to develop very strong bonds with their master, they will guard the whole family instinctively, and with very measured application of strength/force. When my daughter was still in a stroller, I noticed, with tremendous satisfaction, that my big male, Blue, would move from my side and place himself in front of the stroller whenever strangers drew near. Given their size, they make an awesome deterrent.

They are great companions for people of all ages. They will rough-house enthusiastically with big men, and tiptoe around babies. The downside is that they are incredibly endearing, and their lives are not nearly long enough. But when are they ever?

AD
    You're description of the Great Dane is, IMO, spot on. I have known as few and they are great dogs. The personality and of course size reminds me of my Irish Wolfhounds. My wife recently helped a friend with a litter of Danes pups said both adults and pups often reminded her of Irish Wolfhounds.

Padraig

Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Padraig View Post
    You're description of the Great Dane is, IMO, spot on. I have known as few and they are great dogs. The personality and of course size reminds me of my Irish Wolfhounds. My wife recently helped a friend with a litter of Danes pups said both adults and pups often reminded her of Irish Wolfhounds.

Padraig
    I've never met any Wolfhounds, but I'm sure I'd like them. I have an affinity for big hounds (I'm fond of the Mastiffs I've known too). My boy Blue, who passed away almost two years ago, was extraordinary, and I miss him still, but we still have his little sister Rose (unrelated) and she's pretty special too. Being petite, she's very quick, and has caught more critters than big Blue ever could. She too is a guardian who takes the job seriously, as well as being a loving family pet. Hard to imagine being without a Dane in our family.
    Sambane likes this.
    Ranger Point Precision (Houston, TX) - We design and manufacture performance firearm parts for Marlin Firearms, Henry Repeating Arms, Winchester, Steyr Arms pistols (Polymer stocks, trigger kits, medium loop levers and takedown screws, peep and fiber optic sights, Marlin 1894 extractors, picatinny scope mounts, dovetail fillers, flyweight loading gates, mag followers and more). rangerpointprecision.com Our new motorcycle parts division can be found at rppmoto.com

"Opinionated Texan" Super Moderator
    Member #
    IMG_1070.JPGIMG_2380 (1).JPG

I'm a Terrier guy all the way.
    Navajo
    Lever-Action Addict
    Savage 99 fan
    MXLR fan
    Full-Blood Texan

Deadeye
    Member #
    What are wirehairs like? I've been tempted by them for quite some time. Are they much different than shorthairs in temperament and ability? Shorthairs are awesome hunters and really nice, just a little hyped up to be easy keepers in my experience.
    M700 likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Heres one for ya....Small Munsterlander. They have a phenomenal rep, and are not quite trendy yet, because, those that have litters will not sell them to Non Hunters. And you have to prove it to them......Look them up guys, a great dog.....

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainguy View Post
    What are wirehairs like? I've been tempted by them for quite some time. Are they much different than shorthairs in temperament and ability? Shorthairs are awesome hunters and really nice, just a little hyped up to be easy keepers in my experience.
    German Wirehaired Pointers?

Sadly my dog Clark died a few months ago at only 10 years old. Cancer got him. He was a wonderful hunter and companion. Yes, he could get hard-headed at times. We always worked it out. He loved to hunt! Photo is with my youngest son, pheasant hunting here in Washington.

My wife and I thought that we were maybe through with having dogs, but... This young rascal crept into our lives a few weeks back. He's also a German Wirehaired Pointer, but with a much different coat. He's just 13 months old and is a rescue dog. He is incredibly "birdy" and I'm looking forward to hunting with him. Ya, he's kinda stubborn too. But - has figured out that for outdoor adventures - he should hang out with me. I suspect that he's going to be one heck of a hunting dog.

He's already adopted my family and our home as his, and is fiercely protective. Gotta watch that a bit. I don't yet entirely trust him around strangers, particularly men.

Re the GWP's and hunting - they're bred to be an all-around hunting dog. I've only worked them on upland game: pheasant, chukar, huns, grouse, etc... And mine was a hard worker, intelligent, had a wonderful ability to hold a bird on point for a long time while I worked my way to his location. Usually quite good at retrieving the fallen birds too - though a couple of times I found one before he did. I think he felt insulted when that happened!

Good dogs. Strong. A little hard headed. Clark needed more grooming than Maverick does, because Clark had the longer hair.

Regards, Guy
    Mike 2010 likes this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    That's a nice looking dog! He looks like he's got a fair amount of PP in him, yes?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links