• 1 Post By hogbear
  • 1 Post By North country gal
  • 1 Post By hound-1
  • 1 Post By Marlin39/marlin336

Thread: Got my first bird dog!

Tinhorn
    Member #

Got my first bird dog!

Just bought a brittney from a breeder up in Oregon can hardly wait to pick him up. Been wanting a dog for a couple years now and finally decided I was ready to take on the task of training one. Anyone on here hunt with britts and if so what type of game? Oh almost forgot he's got a great name marlin! Should sound good yelling out in the field this year.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    A lot of guys I hunt pheasants with use Brittneys wit very good success. My brother used to have a pair of Brittneys he used for pheasants and quail with very good success. Britts also make good house dogs while they're not hunting. I think you will enjoy yours.
    M700 likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Have not owned a Britt, but have hunted pheasants and quail over Britts and have known folks that raised Britts. Wonderful dogs and all the owners kept them in the house as one of the family. They are definitely people dogs.
    M700 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    I've had 2 a orange and white named Jake and a liver and white named Taz.They are great hunting dogs. I hunted stocked pheasants and grouse with mine.Training isn't too hard,its bred into them to find birds the first and most important thing to teach them is to "stay" when they go on point.Get a few quail or pigeons and plant them,have a choker and a long rope on your dog,as you approach the planted bird he'll smell it and freeze.have someone hold the rope and you walk past the dog and flush the bird telling pup to "stay" or "woe"if he breaks you give a smart tug on the rope.It takes a while but they get it,if he chases the bird its dangerous for the pup,and he'll bust others with out you.Also get yourself a training collar.don't use it when Mad but to reinforce commands when you cant reach him.I had both my dogs trained to a whistle 2 toots meant come,very easy to teach with a collar,call his name 2 toots and a small tap on the collar,before you know it just toot and here he comes, 1 toot meant sit very good if another dog is in the field or approaching a road and you cant get a leid on him.Its alot of fun and alot of work, for both of mine and my buddies 2 that I helped train it all seems to jive and come together when the dog hits about 3.If you need any help with the training give me a "toot"My dogs retrieved anything to me and only me I never trained them to do that,but one time my buddy shot a rabbit, he set it down to tie his boot and ol'taz snatched that rabbit right up and delivered it to me.They both stayed inside and loved kids.Jake made it till 17 and Taz 16 lost them both about a month apart.Post a pic when ya get him...Ed
    M700 likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Thanks Ed will do and I might take u up for some training advice later. I've read a lot of books and prepared my self the best I could so I hope all goes well.
    M700 likes this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I would have to say that I really enjoyed training my dog, but training never really ending. But there is a great bond that is formed with you and your dog with countless hours together. Good luck and enjoy. Like the name Marlin too.
    Team Shotgun #1 "Team Captain"
    Team 60 #152
    Team 30-30 #802
    Team 45-70 #1170
    Marlin League #139

"Aut Pax Aut Bellum"

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I grew up hunting with my Dad in North Carolina. He had several nice little Brittany Spaniel's. Quail and an occasional Woodcock. They also came in handy in the Dove fields.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I have had a few Brittneys in the past. Wonderful in the field, but they are a handful at times. Just when you think you have then steady, they break or take off and will not listen to whistle or verbal any commands. Basically, they give you the paw.....When I hunt in the field, I do not use training colliers. They may ware a collar but no nicks, do not want to collar condition them. Any way, the dog knows the commands, he has done them hundreds of times. So, the next training session we begin where the dog gave you the Paw. Most dogs will hate this because they can do the command in their sleep. They somehow remember this and don't generally give you the paw again....sometimes.

I will say that at times I have had our Labs do the same thing; which leads me to believe that dogs are not little robots, they do not do exactly as we tell them every time, for what ever reason... If you would like to see our dogs, heres a link, the cast of characters hunt everything from water foul to upland bird. We love them all: Aim Powers Retrievers

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." –

Thomas Jefferson

Deadeye
    Member #
    I had a big orange and white male Brittany that I got out of the dog pound. He was a full grown dog when I got him and had obviously never been hunted before I got him, as he was gun shy.

I'd always heard that a gun shy dog could not be broken of that, but I continued to take him hunting. At the first shot, he'd be at my heels and stay there the rest of the hunt. Then one day when he found the birds and I shot one over him, he was no longer gun shy. That dog taught himself to point, honor and retrieve because I had no idea how to train a dog. We used to hunt pheasant and quail and I would get another Brittany in a heartbeat but there are too few quail around here anymore to hunt them and the pheasants are too far away to go hunt them more than a couple times a year.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links