Record PA Bear Harvest this season
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Record PA Bear Harvest this season

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Lightbulb Record PA Bear Harvest this season

I just heard this yesterday, PA had the LARGEST Bear Harvest in State History this season. 4653 Bears!

The Game Commission has been estimating 20,000 Bears in our State. Obviously, they can't count them all, its just an estimate. I have always felt their estimate was LOW. Bears are everywhere. In the last decade or so, I see sows with 3 or 4 cubs as a matter of routine. Decades ago, if you DID come across a Sow in the Spring, mama would have 1 or 2 Cubs.

Keep in mind that we cannot hunt with dogs, we cannot use bait, and we cannot shoot a Sow with Cubs. The Fact is.....there's too many bears!

The 2019 harvest was compiled with 561 bears taken by archers, 1,117 taken in the extended season, 1,340 taken with muzzleloaders and in the special firearms season, and 1,629 in the general firearms season.

https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/s...st/4645915002/

Mike T.
    Last edited by miket156; 02-04-2020 at 06:42 AM.
    Ret_Eng, flatnose, GITU1 and 12 others like this.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Sounds like they're gonna have to make some adjustments to the regs before long. Are you anywhere near Cross Forks in Potter Co.? I hunted at a camp there back in the 70's.
    Big, flatnose bullets eliminate tracking.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Cool

No I'm further south of Potter County. I LOVE that area of our state! I spent years hiking, backpacking, and camping in that area of our state. Love Pine Creek Gorge, the Grand Canyon of PA, the Black Forest Trail system and many others, and who doesn't love the quaint town of Wellsboro with their Gas Lamps!

This north-central Pennsylvania town features an amazing downtown filled almost exclusively with local shops and restaurants. After dark, the 1920s theater and gas-powered street lamps give off a warm glow that’s sure to make you feel a little peace on earth. The highlight of Wellsboro’s holiday celebrations is their Dickens of a Christmas festival held during the first weekend in December. This festival brings Victorian interpreters to the streets of the city, and you might even run into Scrooge himself.

Bears:

https://www.pennlive.com/life/2020/0...t-of-2019.html

Mike T.
    Last edited by miket156; 02-04-2020 at 08:06 AM.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Clinton, Potter, Centre and Lycoming county is best described as "God's Country." I live in southern Pa. but I love the four county areas north. We do have a lot of bears in Somerset and Bedford Co. I know of at least one killed in Bedford county this year that was a little over 600 lb. Came from an area where I squirrel and turkey hunt. We see them in places here now we never seen them before. I almost hit one with my truck one day near Bedford and I stopped and watched it cross a field and went in an open door on a barn. Probably needed a nap.
    miket156 and marlin54 like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    What was the heaviest bear killed this year?
    Judson and miket156 like this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HIKayaker View Post
    What was the heaviest bear killed this year?
    813 llbs. taken with a rifle in Monroe County (according to the article that miket156 linked with his post).

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Largest BB was 813 lbs.

Bear Harvest

Mike T.
    Marlinjunkie and HIKayaker like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Shh quiet about Wellsboro, don’t ruin it. Don’t need a bunch of New Jersey people up here, they already ruined the Poconos.
    Next year the early muzzloader bear season will be even better, and 3 weeks bow. We had poor acorns up north this year. Year with good chestnut oak acorns and we will easily beat that number. We’re overrun by bears.
    miket156 likes this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Exclamation

Partial quote by old greybeard:

"Shh quiet about Wellsboro, don’t ruin it. Don’t need a bunch of New Jersey people up here, they already ruined the Poconos."

Yep, that's a fact. I grew up in the 1950's and 1960's, my uncle had a cabin in the Pocono Mountains. It was beautiful, until the city people moved in and ruined it. I remember some of the locals saying the only difference between Philadelphia people and New York people is that Philadelphia people were lousy tippers. Most of them were loud mouths.

I don't know that New Jersey people would bother with Wellsboro, its not along interstate 80 so its more out of the way. The area around North Central PA along Rt 6 was like a step back in time until the Shale Oil Companies moved in. I haven't been up there for quite awhile. I've had some health problems and I've been sticking close to home.

Mike T.
    Last edited by miket156; 02-04-2020 at 01:24 PM.
    Marlinjunkie likes this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Shale gas hasn’t been a issue. Still underpopulated and rural. Locals are really benefiting and our gas and propane prices are record low. And PA’s carbon emissions down 28%, thanks to capitalism.
    Biggest issue for me is many of the State Forest roads have been improved to the point that they aren’t fun on my dirt bike anymore.
    kpb0605 and miket156 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links