5 Mountain Lions in the Yard - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree280Likes

Thread: 5 Mountain Lions in the Yard

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Cool

I would submit that animal behavior varies depending on where they live, the availability of food, competition with other animals, clnmate and weather, and the intrusion of humans into previous home ranges of animals that have been displaced. The population of a species in an area certainly affects their behavior too. When I was growing up over 50 years ago, I spent a lot of time in woods, and hardly ever even saw a bear, much less ran into a problem bear. The bear population in my home state 50 years ago was small compared to today. Back in those days if we caught sight of a sow, she had one or maybe two cubs. These days, its not unusual to see a sow with 3 or 4 cubs.

Bears in the North East have generally not been aggressive, we only have black bears, there are no brown bears here that would take charge of a home range and run off any black bears that enter their range. We do see 2 year old bears that are still searching for a home range, usually because they were run off by older black bears home range. So bears are more aggressive than they were 50 years ago. They are always searching for food, and keep track food sources where they range. The PA Game Commission estimates there are 20,000 black bears in our state, it could be higher.

I've only had one "bear encounter" that could have led to trouble. I have previously Posted that experience here so I won't repeat it.

Mike T.
    lever30 likes this.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    And there’s this possibility
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JACKTW, JMAG54, V1Rot8 and 4 others like this.
    Yesterday I was younger

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by lever30 View Post
    And there’s this possibility

LMAO, obviously someone finally captured a pic of big foot, riding a lion to boot.

Jack
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by miket156 View Post
    No, in case the pistol gets knocked out of my hand by a charging bear and it gets out of reach or the bear gets on top of me. My 6 inch Buck knife is in a secure sheath and is attached to me. I hope it never gets to that, but one weapon may not be enough.

Mike T.
    If a bear is on top of you, I do not think that knife will be enough either, but I understand completely.
    ...last act of defiance....and sure beat strong language.

Sure, words hurt, but bear claws and teeth hurt much worse.

I am so glad i do not live in bear country.
    Though a few have now been seen here and there in East Texas.

It is the mosquitoes and ticks that will kill you here.
    Proud Old Phart Member #358
    Team Enfield Member #43
    Team 45/70 #1910

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKTW View Post
    I gotta agree, Dave is a tad twisted but that's what I like about him. LOL

Your Bayonet attachment device sounds like a slick set up. Got a picture of it?

Damn CRS, thanks for the reminder of the cat not being phased by her beating. Cats definitely don't like crowds. Whenever we hike in the wild, we're packing heat. Seems like every year we hear of lion attacks, fewer bear attacks.

A few years back, we had just crossed No Hands Bridge (first part of a trail on the American River) and noted a large group of hikers coming at us. I said to the wife, probably a bear, before we heard them yell out bear. We just turned around and went to a different trail. Our bear population seems to be on the rise. The end of our drought has been good as we've noted a decrease in them raiding our neighborhood garbage. It got pretty bad during our 5 year drought.

Jack
    I can do you one better, Jack.
    Just look up US Patent D742,472 S. Bayonet Attachment Device.

I have not been able to produce them as I have not been able to find a machine shop willing to sign a NDA to make them.
    Though they will make a ton of money, I guess some are too greedy and want to take my invention away from me.

No problem, I will sell it to them if they like, but some do not even want to do that.
    I have the 3D printed prototypes of all four models and all the dimensions.
    They just want to steal it.
    Hence the NDA and my pit bull Intellectual Property attorney.

I have watch dozens of animal attack stories and know this will be helpful to people out in the woods.
    Everyone i talk to about it loves the idea.
    That is why I made the idea into a reality.

...and it all started with hearing about that story of the two old folks out on the trail for an enjoyable walk.
    Team Enfield Member #43
    Team 45/70 #1910

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Getting Any Younger View Post
    I don't live in an area where 4-legged predators are a serious issue,
    but I do have a few handguns that would be easy to carry in the woods if I did.
    (And hoping to move out of NJ in a few years - so this way I'm 'ready'.)

Recently bought a S&W model 60 3" J-frame which packs a punch with .357 magnums.

Also bought a Charter Arms 'Pitbull" in .45acp - I wanted one for a few years.
    Not as nice as a S&W, but it doesn't need moon clips and it works.

If bears were in my area, I'd get a .44 magnum with a 4" or 3" barrel. (I might anyway, and use it with .44 specials!)
    I will call your .45 ACP Pitbull and raise you twp Charter Arms target Bulldogs.
    Love all three.
    The Pitbull permanently resides in the center console of our couch.
    Awesome little guns for "just in case", and yeah, no moon clips needed, but only 5 shots.
    ...but five shots of .45 ACP.
    Team Enfield Member #43
    Team 45/70 #1910

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links