5 Mountain Lions in the Yard - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree280Likes

Thread: 5 Mountain Lions in the Yard

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Lightbulb

I read the article about the Lion that attacked two cyclists in 2018. The Ranger that was interviewed said the cyclists acted properly. They turned and faced the Lion and ran it off. But the Lion came back and attacked one of the cyclists. The other Cyclist RAN AWAY! What? The LAST thing to do is too separate when under attack. She ran away? Totally stupid. When her partner was being attacked he/she/it could have picked up something and try to fight the Lion off.

The REAL problem is they were unarmed.

That animal was stalking them, it was obvious. The RIGHT thing for them to do was to SHOOT the LION. But they had no gun! When a Lion is stalking humans, all bets are off. Lions are extremely fast, and bears are too. If a Bear or a Mt Lion were ever stalking me, its dead. There is no room for "Debate". I have spent over 50 years going in the state forests and game lands. I am not out to kill an animal that I happen across in the woods. However, there is no doubt that an animal that is quietly stalking you is up to no good. We don't have a lot of time to decide. If I yell at a Black Bear, it doesn't run away, and continues to stalk me, its dead.

Mike T.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I carry spray. I work in the woods (southern Adirondacks of NY) but live in Vermont. Can't get a non-resident handgun permit. Stinks. Glad we don't have big cats...or do we?
    Vooch and lever30 like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Exclamation

vt4ster:

That DOES stink. Bear Spray "Can" be effective, or not. Charging bears have been known to run right throw the cloud of bear spray at short distances. Most of the time, bears are not interested in tangling with people, but not always.

Leave it to NY State to leave you defenseless. I hope you carry a large knife and/or other weapons to defend yourself.

Twin stupid Cuomo brothers have protection, but the unwashed masses are not "permitted" to defend themselves.
    Welcome to Communist Occupied New York.

Mike T.
    Last edited by miket156; 01-18-2020 at 04:41 PM.
    vt4ster, northmn, F150Grrl and 1 others like this.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by miket156 View Post
    I read the article about the Lion that attacked two cyclists in 2018. The Ranger that was interviewed said the cyclists acted properly. They turned and faced the Lion and ran it off. But the Lion came back and attacked one of the cyclists. The other Cyclist RAN AWAY! What? The LAST thing to do is too separate when under attack. She ran away? Totally stupid. When her partner was being attacked he/she/it could have picked up something and try to fight the Lion off.

The REAL problem is they were unarmed.

That animal was stalking them, it was obvious. The RIGHT thing for them to do was to SHOOT the LION. But they had no gun! When a Lion is stalking humans, all bets are off. Lions are extremely fast, and bears are too. If a Bear or a Mt Lion were ever stalking me, its dead. There is no room for "Debate". I have spent over 50 years going in the state forests and game lands. I am not out to kill an animal that I happen across in the woods. However, there is no doubt that an animal that is quietly stalking you is up to no good. We don't have a lot of time to decide. If I yell at a Black Bear, it doesn't run away, and continues to stalk me, its dead.

Mike T.

Mike, while I agree running away wasn't the right thing to do, panic is a natural human response. Some folks just have a weak constitution and will opt flight rather than fight.

A couple years back, there was a local news story of an elderly couple in their late 70's that were attacked on a popular trail here in the foothills. The trail was busy with many hikers and no one was aware of the lion stalking the elderly couple. The lion, doing what lions do, picked the elderly as it's victim. The lion ambushed the old guy landing on his back and had a good bite to the back of his neck. His lifelong partner wasn't having it, she quickly found a big branch and while screaming at the top of her lungs, began beating the lions head with everything she had. The lion broke off the attack and ran off. If she had ran away it would have been certain doom for her partner. Fortunately, the old guys wife had a strong constitution, even in her late 70's, she faced the inherent danger and stood in to fight off the lion attack.

The lion was tracked down and shot, the right thing to do, and it was a mature lion.

Jack
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Lightbulb

JackTW

Exactly. Call me paranoid, or maybe its because I go solo into the state forest and game lands. Most of my old friends don't pursue the same hobbies as I do, and many of them are home bodies, some with grand children by now.

It is more convenient for me to HUNT the Game Lands that are close to where I live. Being that I am solo, even if I just go out of a "hike" for exercise, I carry my 357 and a 6" Buck Knife. Coyote Hunting is legal in PA 365 days a year in PA, so I always have my Hunting License on me, as well as my Sportsman Permit that entitles me to carry a side arm while Hunting. We have Open Carry laws in PA and usually the Game Commission doesn't bother us unless they see a violation of Game Land Laws.

I carry my Permits because carrying a fire arm in an automobile is considered "Concealed", but if going to and from Hunting, I can transport it legally in a car with a Sportsman Permit.

Black Bears are my biggest concern, our state has about 20,000 of them according to the State Game Commission. Bears are everywhere. I've seen them in places there were never any number of bears 20 or 25 years ago. There is not enough Habitat for all the bears to have a "comfortable" home range. Younger Boars are usually run off by bigger, larger Boars. So there are bears that are out and about looking for food. Not good. A Hungry bear might get desperate and that could lead to trouble. So far I've been able to scare away stray bears when I'm out. It reminds me of my Social Life!

Cheers!

Mike T.
    JACKTW, schartzross and lever30 like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Lions, Sasquatch and Bears...Oh my
    JACKTW, F150Grrl and lever30 like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by miket156 View Post
    JackTW

Exactly. Call me paranoid, or maybe its because I go solo into the state forest and game lands. Most of my old friends don't pursue the same hobbies as I do, and many of them are home bodies, some with grand children by now.

It is more convenient for me to HUNT the Game Lands that are close to where I live. Being that I am solo, even if I just go out of a "hike" for exercise, I carry my 357 and a 6" Buck Knife. Coyote Hunting is legal in PA 365 days a year in PA, so I always have my Hunting License on me, as well as my Sportsman Permit that entitles me to carry a side arm while Hunting. We have Open Carry laws in PA and usually the Game Commission doesn't bother us unless they see a violation of Game Land Laws.

I carry my Permits because carrying a fire arm in an automobile is considered "Concealed", but if going to and from Hunting, I can transport it legally in a car with a Sportsman Permit.

Black Bears are my biggest concern, our state has about 20,000 of them according to the State Game Commission. Bears are everywhere. I've seen them in places there were never any number of bears 20 or 25 years ago. There is not enough Habitat for all the bears to have a "comfortable" home range. Younger Boars are usually run off by bigger, larger Boars. So there are bears that are out and about looking for food. Not good. A Hungry bear might get desperate and that could lead to trouble. So far I've been able to scare away stray bears when I'm out. It reminds me of my Social Life!

Cheers!

Mike T.

Mike, not that black bears are difficult to kill but I'm curious what loads you stoke in your 357MAG when in the woods, just in case you run into the wrong black bear?

Jack
    miket156 and lever30 like this.
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKTW View Post
    Mike, not that black bears are difficult to kill but I'm curious what loads you stoke in your 357MAG when in the woods, just in case you run into the wrong black bear?

Jack
    I load up with Buffalo Bore 180 grain Cast bullet ammo. My Ruger GP100 is a medium frame revolver, and I do believe it can handle the load and do the job if needed. The average size Bear in PA is about 200 lbs. But there have been Black Bears taken that were over 600 lbs. There have been a few rare bears that were even larger.

Mike T.
    JACKTW and lever30 like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Cats sometimes have large litters, Lynx with seven...
    7F1BB1EF-C896-48D9-9EC6-8640BF4276DB.jpeg
    Team 45/70, #1956

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    a Lynx, what jerry clower calls a souped up wild cat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

everybody has a plan until they get hit in the mouth,,mike Tyson,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links