Finally one for the ML - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Finally one for the ML

Contributing Member
    Member #
    The SST's may have a low drag on the sabot, but they lead to long drags on the deer trail.

I've tried them and much prefer the 250 gr. Hornady XTP. I have had much faster kills with a pure lead .490 round ball with a pillow ticking patch.
    Mavrik likes this.
    Old men with Garands do not panic.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 25/20Marlin View Post
    The SST's may have a low drag on the sabot, but they lead to long drags on the deer trail.

I've tried them and much prefer the 250 gr. Hornady XTP. I have had much faster kills with a pure lead .490 round ball with a pillow ticking patch.
    Yes, I'm definitely going to have to figure out something different for next year as I'm not going to use the SST's again. I used them mainly because when I tested different bullet types they gave me consistent accuracy/point of impact on repeated shots without taking apart and cleaning the barrel.

I had also tried out 240gr Thompson Center Mag Sabots with XTP bullets (below). I chose not to use them because unlike the SST's it appeared I couldn't get repeated accuracy without taking the rifle down for a thorough cleaning between shots. The first shot from a clean barrel had the same point of impact as the SST's, the second shot went roughly 3inches high, and the third was off the paper. The Sabots with the TC bullets were much harder to load especially on shots 2 & 3 with a "dirty" barrel and my supposition was that they were slower exiting the barrel than shot 1 and the additional time was pushing the shots high due to muzzle rise.

Having not had a chance to evaluate either bullets performance on deer I went with the one that didn't require me to take apart the rifle and clean it before I reloaded.

Now that I have had the experience with the SST's I'm definitely going to find something else. At least one thing I'm going to try since I have them is loading the XTP bullets in the red SST sabots and see what happens.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Team 444 - #748
    Team 1894 - #546
    Team .35 Rem - #741

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    If you want the best combo go with Harvester PT Gold 300 gr bullets with Crush Rib sabots over Blackhorn 209 powder. You will get at minimum 10 shots before needing to clean(possibly 20). You will not regret this combo
    Vooch likes this.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #
    I've come to approach ML follow-up and archery follow-up similarly. I think it's wise to wait 20-30 min before beginning the tracking process. As some have noted, tweaks in gear and loads can maximize ML effectiveness and are worth exploring. Imagine a slightly less precise shot placement on that deer. She still would've expired, but you might have pushed her farther and potentially lost her without giving her time. Glad it all worked out and congrats on the fine shooting and tracking job!

Gunfighter
    Member #
    101_0189.JPGsavage 50 cal muzzleloader.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavrik View Post
    I may have to do that next year given my experience on the two deer that I got this year see my other thread: https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/b...ml#post8119861. In some ways I don't want to do it since I know the rifle shoots the SSTs really well, but in both cases it seems that the bullet drilled it's way directly through without opening up. Penetration wasn't a problem since in both cases they were complete pass through's and it's still a .45 or larger hole but it looked about the same size on both sides potentially indicating that it wasn't opening up.

One thing I do like or it seems that the rifle likes regarding the SSTs, which could well be true for the XTPs as well, as Hornady's claim of low drag.

I've fired other ammunition through this rifle and the first shot in a clean barrel goes exactly where I want it, while a second or third shot out of the barrel without cleaning it shoot high. I think what may be happening in the dirty barrel is causing the bullet to exit more slowly and muzzle rise is causing the shots to go high.

With the SST's I can fire at least 3 shots without cleaning the barrel and have consistent impact points. My experience seems to suggest that they may have something with their claim of the low drag sabot.
    Expansion and consistant accuracy have never been an issue with my Savage and the XTP. At 2200+fps it expands and holds together even at close range. And the MMP black sabots hold the bullets well and stand up to high velocities while giving great accuracy.
    25/20Marlin likes this.
    I don't drink or smoke, I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links