What scope? 45-70 - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: What scope? 45-70

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    i just bought an 1895GS and what a want to know is do you use a one piece mount or a rail and separate mounts. Sorry if this is a dumb question, l just don't know.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrumbag View Post
    My experience of see through rings is not good. They aren't that stable and the cheek weld tends to be horrendous.

If you want to use irons, pop the scope off.

Scrummy
    .....you were right. I mounted up the scope on my savage 110 brush hunter in 375 ruger last night...terrible cheek weld. Immediately got online and purchased QD rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    kobeinu likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by as.ks.ak View Post
    .....you were right. I mounted up the scope on my savage 110 brush hunter in 375 ruger last night...terrible cheek weld. Immediately got online and purchased QD rings.

Hope they work for you buddy, just wish I could have posted earlier and saved you the trouble.

Scrummy
    as.ks.ak and kobeinu like this.
    Team Browning #91
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #61
    Team Mauser #54
    Team Shotgun #83

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by white cloud View Post
    I wonder why more of you don't pick a scope with an illuminated reticle. I would like to hear the reasoning pro or con for such a reticle.
    It depends on the ambient light when your shooting. If your tracking or shooting in the early or later hrs of the day, they work great. My Vortex 4-26 long range scope came with the illuminated reticule but I never turn it on as I only use it for match style daylight shooting. No hunting.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I like illuminated rets for hunting. I tend to have German No.4 or Duplex type with an illuminated centre dot. When I'm walking around in the daytime I tend to leave the dot dim and pretty much not visible as in normal light the ret is fine but as the light goes or I put the scope on a dark target the dot is plenty visible when I need it.

And if you have a number 4 type ret, the target can be fairly well centred close in using the thicker parts of the stadia rather than having to rely on the finer, centre cross hairs

ATB,

Scrummy
    Team Browning #91
    Team Mauser #54
    Team Shotgun #83

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC1895 View Post
    i just bought an 1895GS and what a want to know is do you use a one piece mount or a rail and separate mounts. Sorry if this is a dumb question, l just don't know.
    You can get a Pic rail that mounts into the 4 screws on the top of your receiver. You can the mount your rings to this rail. It gives you a small amount of adjustment for your ring positioning. I ended up taking my setup off my 1895SBL and went with Skinner Sights. I then moved the rail/rings/scope onto my 336W. Fit perfectly

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I sold a chap my Leupold VX5 1.5-5x33 Scout scope as the eye relied wasn't long enough for my 1892 clone.

He put it on a 450M Marlin with an XS Rail in Leupold QRW rings. Occular bell just in front of the rear peep and keeping the hammer free.

He uses the rifle for red deer down in Cornwall and took it to Greenland when he went sea-kayaking to deal with Polar bears if the need arose...
    kobeinu likes this.
    Team Browning #91
    Team Mauser #54
    Team Shotgun #83

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Grenadier View Post
    I am a great fan of the Leupold VX-Hog 1-4x20mm scope. --- https://www.leupold.com/scopes/shotg...x-hog-1-4x20mm

They show it as "no longer available" but you can still find them offered for sale by several retailers. It is basically a VX-2 scope with the Pig-Plex reticle. It has a 1" tube and is very light weight. They also offer a VX-R Hog 1.25-4x20mm scope but it has a 30mm tube, illumination, weighs more, and costs twice as much as the VX-Hog 1-4x20mm. They are equally bright.

Here is a photo I took through one of my VX-Hog 1-4x20mm scopes:
    20171022_075929.jpg
    i think the replacement is called VX-Freedom, available with PigPlex.. saw one at DSC last weekend.. best glass in the $250 ish range IMO.
    Grenadier likes this.
    "If I don't make it, Josey... I want ya to know, I'm prouder than a game rooster to have rid with ye."

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I have had great results with the Leupold fx2 2.5x20 and 5 inches of eye relief is like a warm blanket when shooting larger calibers.
    Scrumbag likes this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    My 45-70 isn’t mounted up yet. But the .375 Ruger is. Anxious to get it sighted in. Appreciate all the help from you folks!

kobeinu likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links