Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Deer camp recipes ideas

2K views 35 replies 22 participants last post by  teflonhunter 
#1 ·
Alright ladies and gentlemen, deer camp is coming up in a few months for me and a few friends. I'm looking for some good recipes for lunch and supper. I have a propane stove to cook with in the ole airstream or I can do a camp fire. I don't have a dutch oven as of yet. We are planning a 6 day trip. One of these nights will be eating at a small local mexican restaurant as it has become a new tradition. Again, any good food ideas will be appreciated. Most of us are not picky when it comes to food. Thanks in advance. Bird Dog

#2 ·
In our camp( we had electricity) the crock pot or slow cooker was a great tool. Load it up with meat, vegetables and seasoning in the morning and dinner was ready when everyone returned at the end of the day. Pasta, ground meat or sausage and tomato sauce also is an easy quick way to feed a bunch of hungry hunters.We also would splurge and bbque steaks one night. At deer camp, everything tasted great.

#3 ·
Our deer camp everyone made a dinner.Mine specialty was to cook 10lbs of corned beef w/redskins,cabbage,onion,carrots and whatever else I felt like throwing in.I would cook it in my stainless turkey fryer pot the at home.Take to camp reheat on tripod over campfire. After a boiled dinner,we would have corned beef stew for lunches for a coupe days.

#7 ·
:dito:.... What Mark said.

We eat a lot of SPAM at our cabin during deer season. Fried SPAM and eggs in the morning. SPAM sandwiches for lunch. And a plus... it does help keep one regular.:biggrin:

#9 ·
Look up Cowboy Baked beans by Kent Rollins. My phone is acting weird or I would attach the link. I’ve made them in a pot on the stove and they were fantastic. Cut up some hotdogs into 1” pieces and put them in and you have a great franks and beans meal. I use about half of the chili’s in Adobe sauce that he calls for. If you had electric the slow cooker is the way to go for meals. I make some slow cooker fajitas and start them before the evening hunt and they are done when we get back. My kids fonder themselves on them.

#10 ·
Another favorite was a ton of beef short ribs in the same pot with a bunch of garlic cloves, onion and water. We had a wood fired 55 gallon drum with a grate on top,let it cook all day,take out and throw on a grill over the fire. Cover with BBQ sauce. Can't wait for camp.

#14 ·
Portuguese sausage and cabbage soup.
Simple to make.
1 head of cabbage.
2lbs carrots.
1lb onions.
3lbs taters.
2lbs linguisa or a good polish sausage.
Garlic red pepper to your tastes.
Salt and pepper to your tastes.
Dash of paprika for taste and color use hot if you want i like smoked.
Chicken broth or boullion.
Add everything but the cabbage and 2lbs of taters into a big pot.
Sautee then add broth and water to cover.
Cut the rest of the taters into bite size pieces add for the last 45 minutes
I leave the cabbage in bigger chunks and cook for 15 minutes.
It will take about 2.5 to 3hrs total but it is good.
Even better the next day.
Traditionally it would be kale or another green but i like cabbage.

#17 ·
You GOTTA get a Dutch oven!
Short recipe is Pot roast, onions, potatoes, and carrots. Put it all in the Dutch oven in the ground, surround with coals and about a 1/2" or so of loose soil and head to the woods.
At O'dark-thirty when you come in famished, just lift it out's the ground, brush off the dirt and ashes and dig in. You can sop up the juices with bread of biscuits. Yummmm!

WYT-P
Skyhunter

#19 · (Edited)
I believe anything with beans and/or cabbage is a BAD idea at hunting camp. You end up spending more time in the can (or squatting under a tree) then one cares to.

How about a nice Americanized Hungarian Goulash....Americanized because it replaces the potatoes/turnips/rutabagas with elbow noodles. Its a great comfort food on a gold winter night too.

redhawk

I was on a different computer last night...here is the recipe.

Enjoy!!!

American Goulash is an easy old-fashioned comforting meal that is perfect for the cold winter months. Everything cooks in the same pot, even the pasta!
Ingredients
· 2 pounds ground beef
· 2 Medium onions, diced
· 4 cloves garlic, minced
· 3 cups water
· 1 tablespoon beef base (or bouillon)
· 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
· 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (one petite diced) - drained
· 3 bay leaves
· 3 tablespoons soy sauce
· 1 tablespoon Seasoned salt
· 2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
· 3 teaspoons paprika (sweet Hungarian paprika)
· ½ teaspoon black pepper
· 2 cups elbow macaroni noodles, uncooked
· 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
· Fresh Italian parsley, chopped (optional)
Instructions
1. Brown ground beef in a large stock pot. Remove from pan and drain. Leave about 1-2 tablespoons grease in pan. Add the diced onion and cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat until tender. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
2. Return ground beef to pot along with the water, beef base, cans of tomatoes and sauce, soy sauce, bay leaves, seasoned salt, Italian seasoning, paprika, and black pepper. Stir together, bring to a boil, cover, reduce to low and let simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Stir in the noodles, cover, and simmer 15-20 minutes or until al dente. Stir occasionally to prevent noodles from sticking to the bottom.
4. Just before serving, stir in the cheese. Serve garnished with fresh parsley.

NOTE: it can be made ahead of time...but don't include the pasta until you're ready to serve it....they get mushy if you add the pasta ahead of time.

#21 ·
One of my camping staples is clam spaghetti. The recipe is on the cans.

3/4-1 stick butter for every two cans
black pepper and minced garlic to taste
a shake of two of salt
parsley--fresh or dried
I like to add red pepper flakes also

An appropriate amount of spaghetti or shaped pasta for the group.

Heat it to a simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Serve with toast and a salad.

It's about one can of clams per person. I like to use half chopped and half minced cans of clams.
I'd steer away from the canned whole clams, they tend to be bitter.

It's easy, fast, takes little space, and needs no refrigeration for the ingredients.

As long as everyone like clams...

Reactions: 10acres and mikom
#22 · (Edited)
Dish Food Cuisine Meal Ingredient
Deer camp for me has always been primitive camping in the National Forest, no water or electricity so we had to be as efficient as possible. Over the years dinner evolved into-
a meat on the grill,
a can of sweet corn and a can of string beans mixed in the same pot. keep the juice from the corn, pour off the juice from the string beans. season as desired.
a jar of apple sauce chilled in the cooler.

Quick and easy, if you use paper plates the dishes used is one pot that is easy to wash, one large spoon and 3-4 forks. When you have to haul your own water you want to keep it simple.

#24 ·
Hahaha...I hear ya...that's the "keep the wife happy" recipe. I did add that it's optional....and...you can also leave out the seasoned Salt...its not necessary either.

redhawk

Reactions: mikom
#25 ·
A buddy and I have camped for a week during muzzleloader season the past 3 years. We won't be able to do it this year due to unforeseen circumstances. We had gotten to the place where evening meals were pre-cooked and frozen. We would lay a meal out of the ice in an empty cooler before a morning hunt and it would be thawed enough to warm over the fire or over propane stove at the end of the day. We had fajitas, smoked ribs, smoked sausage and vegetables, etc. One of my favorites is a big hit at my house.

Mix 2 lbs ground venison and 1 lb ground wild hog (can substitute ground beef and ground pork if wild game is not available)
knead the following into the meat mix:
2 TBSP ground black pepper
2 TBSP Kosher salt
2 TBSP onion powder
1 TBSP garlic powder
1 TBSP celery seasoning (not celery salt)
1 TSP cumin

knead until well mixed and roll into golf ball sized meatballs
Brown meatballs in large skillet with 1 tbsp bacon grease and pan spray as needed - Brown on all sides - move meatballs to crock pot as they are browned

Once all meatballs are browned (3 lbs of meat usually makes around 70-80 golf ball sized meatballs) use the same skillet to make gravy

Gravy recipe - Add 6 cups water to the large skillet with meat drippings from meatballs. Bring to medium heat and add 2 packages of brown gravy mix and 2 packages of onion soup mix. Bring to a boil stirring frequently.
I stir with a whisk as I slowly add each packet to be sure there are no clumps in the gravy.

Once gravy mix has boiled for a couple of minutes, pour over meatballs in crock pot.

Slice 1 medium onion and 1 lb of portobello mushrooms into 1/4" slices. I prefer to slice my onion in half top to bottom, then slice "wedges" about 1/4" thick from top to bottom- I'm a texture freak...
Brown mushrooms and onions in a mix of 1 tsp bacon grease and 1 TBSP butter until onions are translucent and mushrooms are no longer white.
Add mushrooms and onions to crock pot.
Slow cook pre-cooked ingredients on low for at least 4-6 hours. At home, serve straight from the crock pot. For camp cooking, chill or freeze cooked recipe and thaw the morning before eating that evening.
My family loves this served over mashed potatoes. I like it over wild rice.

#26 ·
We keep it real basic usually. Potatoes, eggs, bacon, spam, onions, venison jerky, water, beer, lots of butter... My buddy's wife pre made some chilly last year and we just warmed it up one night. Usually bring some back straps if we had already taken a deer earlier in the season ( we camp out during early Nov., muzzle loader season).

#28 ·
Just returned from a week long trip through northern Idaho with some good buddies. We moved camp every night, so there was no way to set up much of a kitchen. I just relied on my Coleman stove. Cooked for my oldest son and myself. We ate well.

Chicken fajitas are a camp favorite. Spicy, tasty, easy & fast to cook, easy to clean up:

Ka-bobs are great, but there seems to be a lot of prep time involved. I'll make 'em at home, then cook 'em in camp over a low fire. Then serve with rice. I use minute rice a lot on our camping/hunting trips. Quick, easy and filling. Flavor it however you'd like:

Breakfast Scramble in camp:

Ya, I do most of my camp cooking on a skillet. Fast & easy and don't get complaints when I'm cooking! :)

On this last trip, I did make chili at home, then put it in a Rubbermaid container, and just re-heated it one night. YUM.

Guy[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

#30 ·
Just returned from a week long trip through northern Idaho with some good buddies. We moved camp every night, so there was no way to set up much of a kitchen. I just relied on my Coleman stove. Cooked for my oldest son and myself. We ate well.

Chicken fajitas are a camp favorite. Spicy, tasty, easy & fast to cook, easy to clean up:

Ka-bobs are great, but there seems to be a lot of prep time involved. I'll make 'em at home, then cook 'em in camp over a low fire. Then serve with rice. I use minute rice a lot on our camping/hunting trips. Quick, easy and filling. Flavor it however you'd like:

Breakfast Scramble in camp:

Ya, I do most of my camp cooking on a skillet. Fast & easy and don't get complaints when I'm cooking! :)

On this last trip, I did make chili at home, then put it in a Rubbermaid container, and just re-heated it one night. YUM.

Guy
[SUB][/SUB]
Those Coleman stoves are great to have. I have my old one still, but it just doesn't get used anymore, since I bought a Camp Chef two burner propane stove and a dutch oven.

#31 ·
I'm making some heartburn waiting to happen,dreading the next day chili right now. Supposed to be sunny on Sunday and get the guns sighted in for rifle season. Best part,Detroit Lions aren't playing will be relaxed!

Reactions: vt4ster and M700
#32 ·
We eat pretty good in our deer camp.

We have discovered it's easier to prepare most of our food in advance (sausage gravy, biscuits, chili, ham and beans) and just heat it up when you want it. With the exception of grilling steak the night before opening day. It also keeps a lot of cooking smells off your clothing.

If your food only needs to be reheated you have more time to hunt!

DRSLYR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.