Deer camp recipes ideas - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Deer camp recipes ideas

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    One of my camping staples is clam spaghetti. The recipe is on the cans.

3/4-1 stick butter for every two cans
    black pepper and minced garlic to taste
    a shake of two of salt
    parsley--fresh or dried
    I like to add red pepper flakes also

An appropriate amount of spaghetti or shaped pasta for the group.

Heat it to a simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Serve with toast and a salad.

It's about one can of clams per person. I like to use half chopped and half minced cans of clams.
    I'd steer away from the canned whole clams, they tend to be bitter.

It's easy, fast, takes little space, and needs no refrigeration for the ingredients.

As long as everyone like clams...
    mikom and 10acres like this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    11-05-17 imports 571.jpgDeer camp for me has always been primitive camping in the National Forest, no water or electricity so we had to be as efficient as possible. Over the years dinner evolved into-
    a meat on the grill,
    a can of sweet corn and a can of string beans mixed in the same pot. keep the juice from the corn, pour off the juice from the string beans. season as desired.
    a jar of apple sauce chilled in the cooler.

Quick and easy, if you use paper plates the dishes used is one pot that is easy to wash, one large spoon and 3-4 forks. When you have to haul your own water you want to keep it simple.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 10-05-2019 at 06:31 AM.
    mikom, bwills80 and 10acres like this.
    "Son, don't be a liar or a thief, everything else will work out fine."- Dad

Deadeye
    Member #
    Redhawk,like the goulash recipe but,if I served anything garnished with parsley at deer camp I wouldn't be here today!
    Vooch, marlinluvr and bwills80 like this.
    Team 30 30 #1434
    1953 336 SC
    1953 336 RC
    Team .35 Rem #785
    1983 336CS

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mikom View Post
    Redhawk,like the goulash recipe but,if I served anything garnished with parsley at deer camp I wouldn't be here today!
    Hahaha...I hear ya...that's the "keep the wife happy" recipe. I did add that it's optional....and...you can also leave out the seasoned Salt...its not necessary either.

redhawk
    mikom likes this.
    The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Be Alert....we need more lerts.
    Not all who wander....are lost.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Sidewinder
    Member #
    A buddy and I have camped for a week during muzzleloader season the past 3 years. We won't be able to do it this year due to unforeseen circumstances. We had gotten to the place where evening meals were pre-cooked and frozen. We would lay a meal out of the ice in an empty cooler before a morning hunt and it would be thawed enough to warm over the fire or over propane stove at the end of the day. We had fajitas, smoked ribs, smoked sausage and vegetables, etc. One of my favorites is a big hit at my house.

Mix 2 lbs ground venison and 1 lb ground wild hog (can substitute ground beef and ground pork if wild game is not available)
    knead the following into the meat mix:
    2 TBSP ground black pepper
    2 TBSP Kosher salt
    2 TBSP onion powder
    1 TBSP garlic powder
    1 TBSP celery seasoning (not celery salt)
    1 TSP cumin

knead until well mixed and roll into golf ball sized meatballs
    Brown meatballs in large skillet with 1 tbsp bacon grease and pan spray as needed - Brown on all sides - move meatballs to crock pot as they are browned

Once all meatballs are browned (3 lbs of meat usually makes around 70-80 golf ball sized meatballs) use the same skillet to make gravy

Gravy recipe - Add 6 cups water to the large skillet with meat drippings from meatballs. Bring to medium heat and add 2 packages of brown gravy mix and 2 packages of onion soup mix. Bring to a boil stirring frequently.
    I stir with a whisk as I slowly add each packet to be sure there are no clumps in the gravy.

Once gravy mix has boiled for a couple of minutes, pour over meatballs in crock pot.

Slice 1 medium onion and 1 lb of portobello mushrooms into 1/4" slices. I prefer to slice my onion in half top to bottom, then slice "wedges" about 1/4" thick from top to bottom- I'm a texture freak...
    Brown mushrooms and onions in a mix of 1 tsp bacon grease and 1 TBSP butter until onions are translucent and mushrooms are no longer white.
    Add mushrooms and onions to crock pot.
    Slow cook pre-cooked ingredients on low for at least 4-6 hours. At home, serve straight from the crock pot. For camp cooking, chill or freeze cooked recipe and thaw the morning before eating that evening.
    My family loves this served over mashed potatoes. I like it over wild rice.
    mikom and 10acres like this.
    My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth!
    Psalm 121:2 (New Living Translation)

Wrangler
    Member #
    We keep it real basic usually. Potatoes, eggs, bacon, spam, onions, venison jerky, water, beer, lots of butter... My buddy's wife pre made some chilly last year and we just warmed it up one night. Usually bring some back straps if we had already taken a deer earlier in the season ( we camp out during early Nov., muzzle loader season).
    mikom and M700 like this.
    Team 444 #708
    Team .35 #660
    Team .22 Mag #173
    Team 60 #403
    Team Glenfield #89

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 10acres View Post
    i I love cooking with my Lodge cast iron.
    Lodge rocks, I have a 12 inch skillet and their sportsman's stove.
    M700, 10acres and mikom like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Just returned from a week long trip through northern Idaho with some good buddies. We moved camp every night, so there was no way to set up much of a kitchen. I just relied on my Coleman stove. Cooked for my oldest son and myself. We ate well.

Chicken fajitas are a camp favorite. Spicy, tasty, easy & fast to cook, easy to clean up:

Ka-bobs are great, but there seems to be a lot of prep time involved. I'll make 'em at home, then cook 'em in camp over a low fire. Then serve with rice. I use minute rice a lot on our camping/hunting trips. Quick, easy and filling. Flavor it however you'd like:

Breakfast Scramble in camp:

Ya, I do most of my camp cooking on a skillet. Fast & easy and don't get complaints when I'm cooking!

On this last trip, I did make chili at home, then put it in a Rubbermaid container, and just re-heated it one night. YUM.

Guy

10acres, bwills80 and mikom like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffletop View Post
    Lodge rocks, I have a 12 inch skillet and their sportsman's stove.
    I've got about 15 pieces of Lodge cast for home and camping, some old and some new. I picked up a 10" square grill pan yesterday for $10.
    mikom likes this.
    Team 39 #474, Team 60 #445, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #163, Team 22 Magnum #172
    Team Glenfield #85, Team 30-30 #1370, Team 32 Special #162, Team 35 #749, Team 444 ​#761
    Team 45/70 #1831, ​Team Marlin Express

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by M700 View Post
    Just returned from a week long trip through northern Idaho with some good buddies. We moved camp every night, so there was no way to set up much of a kitchen. I just relied on my Coleman stove. Cooked for my oldest son and myself. We ate well.

Chicken fajitas are a camp favorite. Spicy, tasty, easy & fast to cook, easy to clean up:

Ka-bobs are great, but there seems to be a lot of prep time involved. I'll make 'em at home, then cook 'em in camp over a low fire. Then serve with rice. I use minute rice a lot on our camping/hunting trips. Quick, easy and filling. Flavor it however you'd like:

Breakfast Scramble in camp:

Ya, I do most of my camp cooking on a skillet. Fast & easy and don't get complaints when I'm cooking!

On this last trip, I did make chili at home, then put it in a Rubbermaid container, and just re-heated it one night. YUM.

Guy
    Those Coleman stoves are great to have. I have my old one still, but it just doesn't get used anymore, since I bought a Camp Chef two burner propane stove and a dutch oven.
    bwills80, M700 and mikom like this.
    Team 39 #474, Team 60 #445, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #163, Team 22 Magnum #172
    Team Glenfield #85, Team 30-30 #1370, Team 32 Special #162, Team 35 #749, Team 444 ​#761
    Team 45/70 #1831, ​Team Marlin Express

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links