Like Tree9Likes
  • 7 Post By 44magman
  • 1 Post By twodot
  • 1 Post By 44magman

Thread: False Alert

Wrangler
    Member #

False Alert

Despite the favorable weather, the first two weeks of deer season has been very slow with few animals seen and few bucks taken. Despite that there have been times that even though you don't get to fire a shot you still get to enjoy the hunt. So we had snow over the weekend which is rare this time of year and has traditionally driven the deer off the brushy inaccessible ridges and down to the flats. With great anticipation I went out into 28 degree weather this morning hopes high. 5 minutes out of the truck I hear a snort 50 yards away but can't see what it is, as I move to get a better view a deer bounds off from behind a clump of trees 50 feet away and my heart is bounding too. A quick look shows its a doe and I refocus on the snorts, many loud ones as the wind is in my favor and the deer is trying to figure out what I am. Moving to a skid trail I get a better view and keep closing on the snorts. Thump - off jumps another doe and another deer behind which I can't see. Both deer move off at a run so this location is busted. I keep walking quartering into the wind with the rising sun at my back. After a half hour or so I'm a mile away and start circling back to the truck. I'm hunting the edge of tall trees and a brushy field. Up ahead I hear the distinct snap of a twig so I start the stalk. It takes me a good 15 minutes to close the distance as quietly as possible and anticipation is high. I hear movement just up ahead and step around a clump and see ...... two free range cow calfs. Its meat but I don't have a tag for baby cows. My heart calms down and the hunt continues. It takes me another 1/2 hour to get back near the truck which is just around the bend. I'm walking the road making no attempt to be quiet when thump, a doe jumps across the road and another deer moves away in to the brush. My heart thumps again as the gun comes up, I see ears but no horns - its the same does I busted first thing hanging out near the truck. Oh well the hunt is done but it sure was fun and I better get to work.
    Big game.jpg

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Okay, I give. What State were you hunting that has a firearm season October 1?

Sounds like you had some fun anyway.
    Judson likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    You covered a mile in half an hour?.... your moving to fast, sloooow down.

Saddest words you'll ever hear
    ... "I have these old guns that were my dads and I have no interest in them"

Teach a kid to shoot and to carry on the tradition of safe, ethical use of firearms...

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Here in Wyoming, ours opened yesterday, right here around the house. Many areas of Wyoming are open for deer! Too busy doing work around the house to go....hopefully soon! memtb
    “You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“Available space.....is wasted case”! memtb

Wrangler
    Member #
    So in CA, depending on the zone archery starts in July and rifle starts in August- talk about some miserable hunting conditions. I've hunted in 90 degree temperatures many times. Here in the north state, rifle goes mid September to late October and is just ending as the rut gets started. For sure there are times you have to move fast as the deer can be very spread out and its common for them to move big distances daily. Bust a group of deer and it may be a mile or more to locate the next group. On the flats, one spot looks much like another and the deer seem to have no preference where they hang out. With the thick undercover, sometimes the only way to get them to move is to be noisy. I usually walk the skid trails through the timber as they are mostly free of undergrowth and litter plus you get a shooting lane. You can slow walk right past them at 50' and they won't move - just watch you go by from behind a clump of trees. When they run they may stop at a distance and look back to see what disturbed them - that's when you get a chance at a shot and it makes for some very exciting hunting. I've sat in a stand all week over a waterhole and never seen a deer come in so almost all of my hunting now is stalking.
    VinceA likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links