.45LC for deer - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: .45LC for deer



  1. #11
    Certified Gunnut
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Parker, CO
    Posts
    4,513
    Member #
    61930
    Thanked
    12610 times
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I have that same rifle in 44.
    the 45's are all blued
    I wanted a 24" .45 in blue, badly. The shop had one, but the barrel wasn't clocked right, so I got the stainless one. I've since learned it's VERY easy to tighten the barrel a couple more degrees to solve that. I have a 24" SS .357, and it was off too. I fixed that one in about 2 minutes, by hand.

    But it's all good, the SS .45 has proven to be a very sweet shooter!
    art6555, drinva and pacificpt like this.
    AKA Rondog everywhere else on the 'net.....

    The world is a tuxedo, and I'm a pair of brown shoes.....
    - George Gobel

  2. #12
    Marlin Marksman
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Lovettsville VA
    Posts
    1,213
    Member #
    64070
    Thanked
    1689 times
    Buffalo Bore has some good hunting ammo for the 45 Colt rifle. Lever rifles can be fussy about what they will feed.

    You can use the cowboy loads for practice.

    Best would be to start handloading.

  3. #13
    Gun Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,167
    Member #
    13665
    Thanked
    1891 times
    I have a .45 Colt Rossi, and with that said, I will say that unless you reload, it will get expensive to feed a gun in that caliber. Factory ammo is expensive, and the selection of high performance ammo is restricted. If you reload, none of that is a problem. I love my Rossi, but if I had to use factory ammo only, I'd trade it quick.
    1956CJ5 likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Certified Gunnut
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Parker, CO
    Posts
    4,513
    Member #
    61930
    Thanked
    12610 times
    Quote Originally Posted by L Pete View Post
    I have a .45 Colt Rossi, and with that said, I will say that unless you reload, it will get expensive to feed a gun in that caliber. Factory ammo is expensive, and the selection of high performance ammo is restricted. If you reload, none of that is a problem. I love my Rossi, but if I had to use factory ammo only, I'd trade it quick.
    I have to agree! But I reload everything I shoot except .22's.....
    Eddie Southgate and pacificpt like this.
    AKA Rondog everywhere else on the 'net.....

    The world is a tuxedo, and I'm a pair of brown shoes.....
    - George Gobel

  6. #15
    Sidewinder
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    210
    Member #
    55593
    Thanked
    670 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhead7544 View Post
    Buffalo Bore has some good hunting ammo for the 45 Colt rifle. Lever rifles can be fussy about what they will feed.

    You can use the cowboy loads for practice.

    Best would be to start handloading.

    Seconded
    ‘Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride,’
    The shade replied,
    ‘If you seek for Eldorado!’ -Edgar Allen Poe

  7. #16
    Marlin Fanatic
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Black Hills
    Posts
    12,275
    Member #
    40194
    Thanked
    43076 times
    Screenshot 2018-11-09 at 12.13.23 AM - Edited.png

    Modern .45 Colt brass, seen here on the right, is manufactured to be just as strong as .44 Mag brass. Some shooters like to load their .45 Colt pretty stout, so the ammo and brass makers have beefed up the cartridge cases. The brass pictured here is Federal, if I remember correctly. No reason not to buy a Marlin in .45 Colt, the deer won't stand a chance.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

  8. #17
    Gunfighter
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    902
    Member #
    26221
    Thanked
    1103 times
    I have taken a couple of deer with the 45LC. No issues with putting the deer down. By the way, I read somewhere that the 45LC was originally designed to be able to take down a 1500 pound horse.
    1956CJ5, rob42049 and mikom like this.
    Your reputation is what men say about you on your tombstone, your character is what the angels proclaim about you before the throne of God!

  9. #18
    Gunfighter
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Southern Ohio
    Posts
    830
    Member #
    115346
    Thanked
    1418 times
    Can't help with info on 45lc rifle. But I have taken several deer with a 45lc pistol, all under 75 yards, with handloaded cast. Muzzle velocity around 1050fps. Hope that helps.
    rob42049, 1956CJ5 and pacificpt like this.

  10. #19
    Certified Gunnut
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Parker, CO
    Posts
    4,513
    Member #
    61930
    Thanked
    12610 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GITU1 View Post
    I have taken a couple of deer with the 45LC. No issues with putting the deer down. By the way, I read somewhere that the 45LC was originally designed to be able to take down a 1500 pound horse.
    I've read that too. It was a cavalry revolver round, as I recall. Never was used as a rifle/carbine round back in those days - no idea when .45C was actually first chambered in a long gun, but I'd bet it was long after WWII.
    rob42049 likes this.
    AKA Rondog everywhere else on the 'net.....

    The world is a tuxedo, and I'm a pair of brown shoes.....
    - George Gobel

  11. #20
    Gun Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,167
    Member #
    13665
    Thanked
    1891 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1956CJ5 View Post
    I've read that too. It was a cavalry revolver round, as I recall. Never was used as a rifle/carbine round back in those days - no idea when .45C was actually first chambered in a long gun, but I'd bet it was long after WWII.
    I think it started when CAS become popular. Rifle-handgun combos were desired for the stages of the matches. Otherwise, I'd never seen or heard of a .45 Colt rifle.
    rob42049 likes this.


Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •