Bear Destroyed my feeder. (Pic)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Bear Destroyed my feeder. (Pic)

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Bear Destroyed my feeder. (Pic)

She did a number on the feeder. Never got a shot of her face on the game cam. Sept 22 is bow/bear season. Hope I can get her to stay around. This is the second bear that hangs around. The other one is just over 125 lbs. I'm guessing. If you can see my blind is by my camper. I have water power and septic there. To the left is the cabin I live in up on the hill about 160 yards or so. Can't be seen from where the bear is. In the back ground is the Ouachita National Forrest. 1.8 million acres mostly in Arkansas and some in Oklahoma.Bear 2019.JPG
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I will have to take a photo of my feeders as they work great and are almost indestructible.............although the bears knock them over, play with them like volleyballs and once in a while carry them off into the woods.

I use a piece of 12 inch pvc pipe about 3 foot long and about 3 inches from one end I drill a 2 inch or 3 inch hole with a hole saw. I dig enough ground out to place a sack of quickcrete in flush with the ground and take the paper off the top. Place the pvc pipe in the quickcrete with the hole closest to the ground and wet the quickcrete. let this set up and then fill with corn. I sometimes place a paper cup or piece of the corn bag over the hole so it does not all come flowing out at once but will trickle out when the animals start to consume the pile.

Other than having to replace the 5 gallon bucket every know and again the feeders are almost indestructible. last year I went to put feed in one and it was gone..nowhere in sight. I began making circles through the brush going out farther each time and low and behold the dang feeder was about 100 yds back in the woods from where it was set! The dang bear must have just picked the whole dang thing up (at least 100 lbs empty) and carried back in the woods. They are amazing creatures and trying to outsmart them is a fools errand with feeders.! I hope you can get your feeder running again as it looks expensive. you might want to consider the type I have suggested. Minimum costs and easy to haul the stuff in to do it at remote locations.
    256WinMag, mikom, Golphin and 5 others like this.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Karma.... Sept 22. Bear season.

Good luck on you hunt.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Wish we had a bear season in Florida. Where I am in Taylor County they're thick as ticks. And big ones! They love tearing up feeders and trying to break into my cabins.
    Vooch, marlinluvr, mikom and 3 others like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    A tripod feeder for deer in our area is pure folly, It takes a bear about 3 minutes to totally destroy it. To use a timer and solar charger I have to put them on a 30' vertical pole with a boat winch to be able to hoist them high enough to keep them out of reach. The concrete and PVC sounds like a good option.
    Marlinjunkie, Da Duke and mikom like this.
    JM "Jenuine Marlin"

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I hate bears, put out two cornpiles, "legal in S.C.", and had pics of a bear on both the first week, "gonna be a long season", what I hate most about it is paying to feed the damn things, we're also "covered up" with them here in coastal S.C. T Rex

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    A couple packages of berry/apple flavored jello mix slung around makes a great bait/attractant.
    marlinluvr likes this.
    "Should have put more dirt down, saw it right off." Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    A bear did not tear up my corn feeder but rather a squirrel destoyed it. I left it in the woods for about a year after deer season and the property sold so I went to pick it up along with my camera and the corn feeder which had a hard plastic top on it had a hole chewed in the top of it and the timer which was plastic and alumimum was just about chewed through. The last run in I had with a squirrel was with my 4-wheeler, the squirrel ate a hole through the plastic gas tank. While not a bear the little rodents are destructive for their size, imagine a 300 pound squirrel. lol

Sidewinder
    Member #
    When we went north of the border for bear the guide used the biggest size maxi-pad (absorbs a lot) he could find and loaded them with bacon drippings and liquid smoke. It worked!
    256WinMag, Da Duke and marlinluvr like this.
    TEAM 45-70 #1920 , TEAM 1894 #581 , TEAM 39 #500

Wrangler
    Member #
    I've never hunted bears and don't know that I ever will, but I'm taking notes from this thread in case I ever do.Good stuff here, thanks for sharing it!
    turbobug likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links