Portable Electric Fence?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Portable Electric Fence?

Contributing Member
    Member #

Portable Electric Fence?

Is there a brand or type of electric fence system that seems particularly well suited for hunters & campers in bear country?

I know it's not 100% effective for keeping out bears and such, but am looking at ways of making my backcountry hunting & fishing camps a bit more secure.
    Already keep clean camp, use bear boxes, etc..

I often camp alone or with one or two other folks, hunting or fishing. This is a typical camp photo. My small trailer does have a deep-cycle aux battery that is pretty under-utilized most of the time.

Thanks! Guy
    maki00, cajun56, pacificpt and 7 others like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I think I would go with a quality solar powered rig with battery. You won't need a 30 mile fence capability so a 10 mile would be plenty. As you probably know, temporary non-conductive posts are available designed to attach multiple runs of wire. That way you can run the smooth wire in a long loop that starts close to the ground and ends with a run at 4 ft. or so. It should be quick and easy to set up. If an animal of size gets tangled in the wire, you may be doing a little tracking. LOL Sounds like a good idea.

I used to run a single hot wire around my pastures. I've seen it dissuade 1700 pound bulls from crossing. I no longer have cattle (but I do have a hat ) As of late, I used a small charger to keep a cardinal from scratching up the mirrors on my F250. I figured it would kill him but it didn't. He's still around but, he no longer fights his image in my mirrors.

T.S.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    If it's bears that you need to deter...

How far out from your tents would you be stringing the wire? Doubt it would deter much if the hungry bear can see and smell you from 15-20 feet away.

The bear would need to touch the wire at a relatively hairless area to get the full benefit of the shock. Bears usually have a thick coat which could insulate them from the electricity or just get a tingle rather than a jolt.

For this reason, when using an electric fence to protect a garden from deer, they must be "taught". I like to put peanut butter on the insulators for the deer to find. Once they lick the peanut butter and the wire, they get the idea. This way the wires can be lower that if you're trying to keep them from jumping over. Not sure what the comparable bait would be for a bear. Peanut butter should work. It's stable, has a good smell, and usually available on camping trips. You could direct a trail camera to the bait sites. Might get some interesting pics.

I think you could easily run the fence from your car/suv battery or take along an extra battery. You won't draw much power for a short run of wire. It's the grass and twigs contacting the wire that drain the most juice. Used to be that battery powered fence generators were available, but I haven't looked for a while.

Even if you decide to go with a fence, I would still take all bear precautions.

Good luck.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Texas, your cardinal story hits home. Springtime, car was the same color as a cardinal, and car mirror was being assaulted by a male cardinal - not scratch, but leaving 'mating residue' on it! I started leaving the car parked with a bag over the mirror. BTW, the car was a cardinal like color, wonder if that has anything to do with it.

AC

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I doubt the color was important. My truck is black. Cardinals are very territorial. When they see their reflection, they interpret it as an invader and attack. I tried the bags for a while but got tired of taking them off/ putting them on. Turns out, cardinals can be trained.

T.S.
    Ret_Eng, JACKTW and gunscrewguy like this.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

Wrangler
    Member #
    If you are in dry terrain you will want to go with a more powerful unit. I use electric fencing for goats and cattle and dry ground/soil makes it harder to get a good “shock” on an animal. I would go with a 10 joule charger, especially considering the amount of hair on a bear.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I doubt any simple electric fence would bother bears. I think you'd get better bear deterrent from tripwire strung with tin cans and trip flares - early warning at least.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    If you read some consumer comments on fence chargers, you will come across consumers that have good luck keeping black bears out of their orchards and apiaries. Search Amazon for
    Premier Bear QuikFence Electric Net Fence
    Also search "bear electric fence"

T.S.

Team 99 #29

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Look into cyclops chargers they make great units but be careful they make models with enough juice to kill a Racoon I have seen this first hand. Have been hit by there middle size chargers and they will leave a welt through long johns jeans and insulated coveralls in the winter, felt like it hit Bear Skin!

Ross

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Turns out that Cabelas sells a very portable electric wire "fence" to deter critters:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/UDAP-Bear-Electric-Fence/1242284.uts?slotId=0

Some years back, while fly fishing for salmon on the remote Tsiu River, we came across a couple of Norwegians who had been dropped off by plane and were camping & fishing. They had protected their campsite with an electric fence similar to the one sold by Cabelas. I didn't get the brand of fence - but it was something simple. That area is densely populated with brown bears. A few days later the Norwegians left, none the worse for the wear. Don't know if any bear tried to pass through their "fence" or not - but they did live through the experience of camping in an area with a lot of big bears. I stayed in a cabin a couple of miles from the river...

Guy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links