10mm no good for bears?
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree365Likes

Thread: 10mm no good for bears?

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

10mm no good for bears?

94win30wcf, edcknives, jml and 9 others like this.
    Not responsible for what people think, just what I am.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    That is an intense read and goes to show you not to underestimate the food chain. I would have thought a 10mm would be plenty, makes you reconsider for sure. His first mistake though was completely underestimating the bear and trying to take the picture. Testosterone and hubris got the best of him. It's good he got to live to tell the story.
    Matthew 25:40 / WWJD
    Favorite caliber- How is that even possible?
    The more I know the less I understand.
    Recovering Redneck / Recovering Catholic / Recovered racist
    Monotheistic Secular Humanist

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    After my encounter. I hate bears.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes.
    Smith & Wesson The Handgun Of Choice!
    Revolvers Rule.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I remember unknowingly spooking a huge black bear out of his bed at about 25ft. He stood up looked at me then wandered off. I had a .357 revolver with 125grn hollow pts. I felt totally under gunned. From then on when I was working in bear country I had one snake load backed up with 5 180grn loads.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Fact is.....bears don't normally just fall dead to pistol rounds.

A less than perfect shot can obviously seem totally ineffective.Most folks carrying a handgun for bear protection opt for bigger is better.
    Also a bear that is adrenaline charged is another game all together.Then take into consideration the shear size difference from critter to critter.

I will assume each situation can be different with different circumstances.
    The positive attributes of the glock 10mm to me is that there is definitely the opportunity to reel off 15 controllable shots.
    I know because I own one.

Granted.....I have never shot at a charging bear with it.
    I also make no excuses to state that the 10mm glock has not near the stopping power of my 44 mag Smith.
    - Fran-

Better to be thought of as an idiot,than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!

Wrangler
    Member #
    well I read the story and I can tell you for a fact the ammo he was using was piss poor bullet selection for use on a bear
    there meant for people, fast expanding exploding bullets
    for bears you need something that stats together and penetrates
    he got lucky!
    a 10 mm is more than enough gun for a bear when you place the bullet where it matters and use the right bullets for the task being asked of it

ALSO< keep in mind, MOST all GOOD 10 mm bear loads, are NOT good for use in MANY 10 mm guns, its one of the flaws in the caliber
    I have carried a 10 mm in countless bear encounters from Alaska to PA, and never felt it was a BAD side arm when loaded properly and using correct ammo, in a gun that can handle the right loads!

a good 10 mm load is everything a decent 41 rem mag will be!
    and running from a bear is NEVER a good idea!

old saying also to me comes true, you play with the bull some times you get the horn

run dogs on bears, and sooner or later your asking for a bear to run back at YOU!
    I ain't bashing bear/dog hunters
    but IMO< its asking for troubles sooner or later!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    well I read the story and I can tell you for a fact the ammo he was using was piss poor bullet selection for use on a bear
    there meant for people, fast expanding exploding bullets
    for bears you need something that stats together and penetrates
    he got lucky!
    It bears repeating (see what I did there ) that a ranger on her mentioned that hollowpoints were more effective in causing the bear to break off a charge.
    His theory was that they can feel the sting near the surface but a heavy bullet that penetrates doesn't even register.
    That said I would load mine "every other" and cover bases.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by electricmo View Post

ammo choice is VERY important for a marginal caliber.....
    Merle1
    Team Mauser # 18
    Team 32 Special # 106
    Team 35 Remington # 586
    Team 39 # 252

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJon View Post
    It bears repeating (see what I did there ) that a ranger on her mentioned that hollow points were more effective in causing the bear to break off a charge.
    His theory was that they can feel the sting near the surface but a heavy bullet that penetrates doesn't even register.
    That said I would load mine "every other" and cover bases.
    I would love to know how many bears that ranger shot with that idea!
    what KILLS a bear is hitting vitals
    a bullet that SLAPS him and eats hair and never makes it to a vital
    will just PISS a bear off more, that slap ain't going to help the person sending them ZAPs at it

I have a LOT of first hand bear experience

a bear hyped up full of adrenaline isn't going to care about being slapped by bullets
    I have seen enough of them SHOT, I have seen enough of them in FIGHTS over mates or food, and seen chunk of meat come off, torn holes in each other and never slowed down there anger any, if anything , added fuel to there fights
    AS energy runs out they slow down, but its sure not due to being slapped! LOL

advice like this IMO is why so many folks that carry and use a hand gun in a bear encounter don't fair very well! LOL

Pepper spray MIGHT work better than hollow points, and even GOOD solid bullets
    as most folks under stress , DON"T shoot half as well as they think they will and don't hit vitals, which is ALL that will stop a bear that is hot and bothered to get you!
    Pepper spray works more like a shot gun, as a bears NOSE is its number one tool in finding food, its hyper sensitive to scents, so a blast of high power pepper, might make it BRAIN< confused enough to get it to change direction or plans
    and that is also why it works better than most folks with guns
    as again, the spray is WIDE and getting some in its eyes/and up its nose is a higher odds deal!

Draw back to pepper spray is very few folks actually carry it where FAST access is there and most NEVER use it till they NEED to
    never practice with it!

something else you all can call food for thought LOL
    is 90% of ALL bear charges are BLUFF"S and will stop a few feet short of you!
    but very few folks have the balls to stand there ground, and I DON"T blame them as that 10% of the time could be THIS TIME< and at few feet reaction times are hard to beat bears!

I am NEAR bears almost daily too folks, never HAD what I call a bad encounter in 40 plus yrs
    and I have crawled into a a LOT of been dens with females with cubs in them too!(never do this folks )

so, I'll carry a GOOD solid bullet bear load over any Hollow point on the market!
    I'll let ranger?? carry his hollow points and HOPE he never needs to use them!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links