10mm no good for bears? - Page 8
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree365Likes

Thread: 10mm no good for bears?

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by M700 View Post
    Bear threads make for good discussions on Marlin Owners.

Guy
    makes me giddy.....

oh boy...a bear gun thread.......

as for rifle cartridge in bear country I tote my marlin 338mx with 200 grain accubonds at 2550 fps.

ya'll remember that rifle right.....sighted in for 450 yard shots.....

shot the elk at 40 yards...
    JMAG54, 1Merlin, M700 and 1 others like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Bears can move FAST. I spooked a black bear one time while driving on a dirt road through a forest. I came around a bend at the edge of a clearing. He took off and became a blur while running 100 yards or so across the clearing. The speed scared me. If you see one at 100 yards, better get your rifle ready in hand.

Close up, you would have no chance before it was on you.

For a backup that is on you all the time, I prefer a DA 44 magnum at least. The person in the story found out that a semi auto can jam the slide at touching distance.

If you do carry the semi auto, have a full magazine of heavy flat nosed bullets.
    1Merlin, 94win30wcf and JMAG54 like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhead7544 View Post
    Bears can move FAST. I spooked a black bear one time while driving on a dirt road through a forest. I came around a bend at the edge of a clearing. He took off and became a blur while running 100 yards or so across the clearing. The speed scared me. If you see one at 100 yards, better get your rifle ready in hand.

Close up, you would have no chance before it was on you.

For a backup that is on you all the time, I prefer a DA 44 magnum at least. The person in the story found out that a semi auto can jam the slide at touching distance.

If you do carry the semi auto, have a full magazine of heavy flat nosed bullets.
    yes a bear can sure run fast and go up hill as fast as they can down hill too, don't buy into that old saying about there short legs giving them issues going down hill, thats BS< I seen enough run both directions at full blast to know for a fact!

BUT again, there is NO logical reason to get a rifle up and ready due to seeing a BEAR at a 100 yards is is FEAR in the work and not logic!

there is really NO GOOD reason for any healthy bear, even sow's with cubs, to be targeting any human at a 100 yards, you are NOT a threat to them at this distance nor them to you!!
    and again, in PA.'s entire history, there has only been like 1 person KILLED by a black bear
    and across North america its like 1.25 people killed a yr only!
    so that's an extremely LOW number
    more folks are killed by moose and there in even fewer places, and NOT normally places of LARGE human populations, yet many places BOTH black bears and moose live in same area,
    HOW many would again be raising a rifle as SOON as they see a moose at a 100 yards away??
    I doubt many, yet your odds of being attacked by them is MUCH MUCH higher!
    people FEAR bears out of lack of knowledge and due to maybe movies and bad press!
    Heck, your odds of needing a gun period with a bear is extremely low and almost NONE!
    bear are again, just animals trying to live, and most ALL fear humans and think we STINK, and want NOTHING to do with us!
    overreacting is never good
    NOTHING wrong with being prepared, but that also mean learning some GOOD honest information too, not just knowing a weapon! knowledge can be very powerful thing to have!
    1Merlin, edcknives, memtb and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    yes a bear can sure run fast and go up hill as fast as they can down hill too, don't buy into that old saying about there short legs giving them issues going down hill, thats BS< I seen enough run both directions at full blast to know for a fact!

BUT again, there is NO logical reason to get a rifle up and ready due to seeing a BEAR at a 100 yards is is FEAR in the work and not logic!

there is really NO GOOD reason for any healthy bear, even sow's with cubs, to be targeting any human at a 100 yards, you are NOT a threat to them at this distance nor them to you!!
    and again, in PA.'s entire history, there has only been like 1 person KILLED by a black bear
    more folks are killed by moose and there in even fewer places, and NOT normally places of LARGE human populations, yet many places BOTH black bears and moose live in same area,
    HOW many would again be raising a rifle as SOON as they see a moose at a 100 yards away??
    people FEAR bears out of lack of knowledge and due to maybe movies and bad press!
    Heck, your odds of needing a gun period with a bear is extremely low and almost NONE!
    bear are again, just animals trying to live, and most ALL fear humans and think we STINK, and want NOTHING to do with us!
    NOTHING wrong with being prepared, but that also mean learning some GOOD honest information too, not just knowing a weapon! knowledge can be very powerful thing to have!
    But looking at this educated and logically doesn't support the emotional knee jerk reaction to participating in all the debate(s) and discussions on which firearm and or bullet for "bear" country. 99.5% of which are from people who don't ever spend anytime in "bear" country other than a trip or two in their lifetime. Kind of like carrying a parachute on to an airplane just in case. It's like all the banter on "survival" gear. If you're having to fish or trap in the wild until you are found might as well be better off sitting down, putting your head between your knees and kissing your own ass goodbye. For me, and I spend a fair amount of time outdoors alone, it would be bear spray out and about and at camp a 12 gauge pump or double barrel. I love the old doubles out of nostalgia. The only reason I like carrying a handgun while walking in the woods and elsewhere is for ferrel dogs/coyotes maybe a desperate bipedal looking for trouble.
    M700, 1Merlin and Marlinjunkie like this.
    Matthew 25:40 / WWJD
    Favorite caliber- How is that even possible?
    The more I know the less I understand.
    Recovering Redneck / Recovering Catholic / Recovered racist
    Monotheistic Secular Humanist

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Kind'a feel same way edc ..........
    edcknives and 1Merlin like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JMAG54 View Post
    Interesting related story.............
    https://www.foxnews.com/world/canadi...grizzly-attack
    So a guy from British Columbia takes a Bike into the bush, where there are known to be Grizzlies, and his only defense is a pocket knife? Say what? When I hiked, camped, and backpacked solo in North Central PA I always had my 357 loaded with Buffalo Bore 180 grain cast ammunition, and a 6" buck knife on the other side. I was only caught one time without changing out my ammunition when I was in a hurry to get to my campsite and set up my tent before dark. Of course that was the time a 450 lb bear came out of the woods and was not too happy to see me. Now, anytime i get ready to leave to head to the woods, I grab my gun belt and pistol, buck knife, along with a rifle before I walk out the door. I have a range bag with all the extra ammunition I need as well as other essentials. I Grab and go!

!80 grain Buffalo Bore Cast ammunition can take down the average PA Bear with one shot, provided you hit it in the vitals. Most Bears that I've run across take one look at me and they're outta there! Sort of reminds me of my social life! I really don't camp anymore, I go to the range, or go Coyote hunting, and I'm well armed. No pocket knives for me.

Mike T.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I am late to this thread however, , I carry a Rock Island full size 10mm tac2 with Kevin’s 200 grain xtp’s and 220 grain gas checked. Hogs, bears and such, do not stand a chance. Fear and poor aim are my enemy. Put his bullets on target and they will get the job done at least here in NC. Now western or Alaskan browns are another matter! Nothing you carry in your hand is enough! In fact a 45/70 with bear stoppers will not stop a pissed off bear full of adrenaline! A bazooka maybe but anything not placed perfectly for a lights out CNS shot will not stop them. Face it we are not the top predator, use your head and not lead.
    Last edited by Tarheelherk; 08-12-2019 at 08:40 PM.
    1Merlin and mrbb like this.
    Wade

“Aviation is proof that given the will,
    we have the capacity to achieve the impossible!”

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by edcknives View Post
    But looking at this educated and logically doesn't support the emotional knee jerk reaction to participating in all the debate(s) and discussions on which firearm and or bullet for "bear" country. 99.5% of which are from people who don't ever spend anytime in "bear" country other than a trip or two in their lifetime. Kind of like carrying a parachute on to an airplane just in case. It's like all the banter on "survival" gear. If you're having to fish or trap in the wild until you are found might as well be better off sitting down, putting your head between your knees and kissing your own ass goodbye. For me, and I spend a fair amount of time outdoors alone, it would be bear spray out and about and at camp a 12 gauge pump or double barrel. I love the old doubles out of nostalgia. The only reason I like carrying a handgun while walking in the woods and elsewhere is for ferrel dogs/coyotes maybe a desperate bipedal looking for trouble.
    just a FYI< many older double barrels and even new one's that have fixed coked, of anything tighter than MOD, are NOT recommended for shooting slugs out of, just so you know!
    edcknives, 1Merlin and JMAG54 like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post

Saw a recent article on bear attacks. 75% of people hit by bears had a long gun on their shoulder on the carry strap. In another incident, a guy saw a grizzly mother and two cubs 100 yards away. He turned around and went in the other direction with the bear spray in his hand. The mother appeared from the brush at his side 40 yards away. He was hit before he could spray.

I didnt say raise your rifle, just get it in your hand. If a bear can run 40 mph, that is about 60 feet per second. 5 seconds.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links