10mm no good for bears? - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree376Likes

Thread: 10mm no good for bears?

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by electricmo View Post
    Reminds me of Timothy Treadwell.
    NO nothing like hiim, he was a moron that thought he was a bear and wanted to live among them,
    I have actual bear training, experience handling them and working with them and NO desire to be one
    or think I I have any magical connection with them
    they are wild animals and as such they can do anything at any time
    he didn't last very long with his mindless logic about bears

I have ben handling bears for 40 yrs, and still ticking, so, I will not be ion the same conversation of that clown thank you!

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mrguvna View Post
    I have many Black Bear experiences not from hunting them but from living amongst them on my Eastern NC farm. I am always bear aware when wandering around the farm and yes only carry a 45 or a 44 on my hip. I am not sure if it will kill them or not and hope I never have to find out but makes me feel less vulnerable. For the most part wild bears can smell you before you can ever see them and will avoid human contact at all costs. Since the local yahoos hunt them with dogs they tend to not like dogs and most likely will cause them to be aggressive.

In all of my encounters from 20 yds to 100 yds with some BIG bears I have never had an unpleasant experience but always expect one. I have never had to back down or draw on a bear, we always tend to look one another over and go on our merry way. I am sure one day this will not be the case and I do not go looking for them or try and get selfies with them. I also know that certain bears DO NOT like their pictures taken as to proof of them destroying about 8 of my game cameras in the last year.

I have also seen bears hyped up on adrenaline after being shot and go a 100 yds or more without a heart, so they have a strong will to live. So as the same with people bears can have different personalities and bad hair day but in my experience avoid humans. I always consider it a woodsman skill to get a close encounter with a bear as they have a great sense of smell.
    I will agree with most all you have stated
    except is NOT bears don't like getting there pictures taken,m well on why your trail camera's have gotten damaged
    as you already pointed out a bear has an incredible sense of smell, and most times they SMELL the camera's , most times its due to HUMANS having handled the camera's and had some sort of scent transfered from hands to camera's that smell like food or ?? and makes a bear curious, add in most camera's make noise when taking pic;s
    and you now have a animal that is extremely curious by nature
    and tends to find out many times what they like to eat by tasting things, which is also why many cam's get chewed on
    there first attracted to smell, then sound and then BITE to see what it tastes like!
    not about being shy LOL

wearing rubber gloves before handling a camera that has been sprayed down to remove scents will help prevent trail cam's from betting bear damaged
    Started running trail cam's in the 90's(35mm film one's)
    have NOT had one damaged by a bear since I switched to using rubber gloves to handle them, (or metal bear boxes) in about 15+ yrs now!
    and am running cam's in extremely high bear density areas!
    1Merlin, miket156 and Marlinjunkie like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJon View Post
    Hitting them in the vitals is pretty much a prerequisite for killing anything
    This ranger was considered an expert since he worked in bear country - I think Washington state.
    Since he detailed many encounters and is still alive to discuss them I'd have to say he's likely good at what he does.
    It's not always the case you want to kill the dang bear then have to explain to some rangers why you had to. Some pretty stiff fines if they decide you didn't have to.

I would add that hitting a bear in the vitals is no guarantee he won't keep coming - many documented cases of that.
    well shooting a bear and NOT reporting it, due you didn;t kill it is also very Illegal!
    so NOT sure what the point of this might be!

I worked with and learning about bears from the world most known bear biologist, I have done a LOT of research on bear attacks and WHY some lived and why some didn;t in attacks, I never recall anyone wanting to WING a bear attacking to TRY and stop its attack
    every one that I know of that was attacked was TRYING to KILL it! when a hand gun was used too!

feel free to show me some evidence of this being a method of deterring an attacking bear!, I welcome the evidence if you can find any!
    BEAR spray is the major tool in non lethal bear attack ending tools, NOT hollow points made for self defense on HUMANS!!

an expert in bear country, doesn't make anyone an expert on bullets and how they work!

take to some large Brown bear guides(grizzly also name changes by location) and ask them what bullets work, they see BIG bears killed for a living, and I will bet NONE of them will suggest a hollow pint self defense for a bullet selection when tracking a wounded bear with maybe demeanor equivalent to one attacking a person!

and yes your 100% correct hitting a bear in the vitals may NOT stop them immediately, but its sure better than hitting them else where in an attack, and its sure better than just hitting them with a SLAP!

MANY folks are attacked TWICE In bear attacks too, by the way!
    SO< a bear shot in the vitals, after the first ROUND of attacks, its WAY less likely to attack a second time, as its mortal wound will many time take over and stop the second attack from ever happening
    your SLAPPED bear with weak hollow points on the other hand??
    I will gather will be round too, too happy to give what ever slapped it some extra love!

there is a old saying, the right tool for the job, works way better than wishful thinking and HOPING a wrong tool will get the job done!
    ammo doesn't cost that much, why not carry better stuff for WHAT if, if your in bear country/large wilderness area's!

I will also ad this too, IMO< there are two types of bears(not species )
    there are rural bears and there are wilderness bears
    rural bears are WAY way way less likable to ever attack, they just know humans way better, they have learned to live with us better due to HAVE TO type living arrangements, we humans are all over where bears live(rural bears)
    they have daily contacts with us, and smell us, and DON"T see us as possible food source(unless you an irresponsible person that feeds them , that is another topic in itself )
    BUT TRUE wilderness bears, that often NEVER ever see a human in there life, or on very very rare occasions
    and by true wilderness I typically mean places that are extremely remote in some western states, AK, remote p;laces in Canada and the likes
    NOT larger tracts of woods in northeast states!
    but when you get to very remote places, bears just have such little contact with humans, that then can some times think of us as POSSIBLE food source's
    its still very rare for one to attack us HUMANS
    due to the fact we STINK to bears, and they tend to prefer food that doesn't STICK like we do!
    and the fact again, Human contact with bears in remote places is RARE in itself!
    as we just don't be there often to increase attacks and or get them to learn more about is and NOT being food sources!

this is why taking more bear aware actions and prevention are needed when your in more remote places that have bears!
    or the smarter folks do!
    Last edited by mrbb; 08-09-2019 at 07:42 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    There is a good reason why guides up in AK predominantly use Spray is well stated here previously. Situational awareness and not being an overzealous testosterone driven idiot also goes a long way. The OP story and the possible tragedy that could have occurred with his family nearby also speaks volumes to the shear disregard and stupidity. The saying don't poke the bear has a lot of wisdom. I am glad he lived and his family was not subsequently injured or killed and it's a true education for him.
    mrbb, 1Merlin, miket156 and 1 others like this.
    Matthew 25:40 / WWJD
    Favorite caliber- How is that even possible?
    The more I know the less I understand.
    Recovering Redneck / Recovering Catholic / Recovered racist
    Monotheistic Secular Humanist

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Interesting related story.............
    https://www.foxnews.com/world/canadi...grizzly-attack
    Merle1, 1Merlin and Marlinjunkie like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I had a gun/ bear discussion at the range yesterday. Me and another fella were looking at the targets at 100yds and discussing if it were a bear, and it charged when would you start shooting. We thought the bear would close the distance in a few seconds, so the conclusion was as quick as you could draw a bead. The targets going to get real big real fast.
    Merle1, Cowboy23*, JMAG54 and 3 others like this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tranteruk View Post
    I had a gun/ bear discussion at the range yesterday. Me and another fella were looking at the targets at 100yds and discussing if it were a bear, and it charged when would you start shooting. We thought the bear would close the distance in a few seconds, so the conclusion was as quick as you could draw a bead. The targets going to get real big real fast.
    Yes once they get up to stride a Bear can hit 35-40 MPH. You cannot outrun him. Hence the need for both a long gun and a suitable pistol. You are not going to place accurate hits with a 475 or 500 Linebaugh pistol at 50 + yards unless you have practiced a lot with that revolver and a big bore usually only holds 5 rounds (big rounds). The load for field for a 500 is approx. 30 grns of 296 with a 445 grn hard cast slug and is 512 diam with a gas check. The recoil is heepum big.
    You would preferably want to use your big bore long gun before having to rely on the pistol. I can hit the target at 25 yrds with the pistol but the recoil is punishing and I am not under duress---remember it is a last ditch and you only have 5 rds.
    1Merlin and Marlinjunkie like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Indeed Cowboy23, biggest cal I own and use regularly is .308. Not a lot of bears in these parts, but fun to wonder. That one will give me 1 MOA on a good day, from a bipod with decent ammo, from a 16" BRL! But whether I could shoot well in the face of a large angry and hairy beast charging? Only one way to find that out and it hasn't happened yet..
    1Merlin and Marlinjunkie like this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Right tranteruk. .............false charge?

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    well I read the story and I can tell you for a fact the ammo he was using was piss poor bullet selection for use on a bear
    there meant for people, fast expanding exploding bullets
    for bears you need something that stats together and penetrates
    he got lucky!
    a 10 mm is more than enough gun for a bear when you place the bullet where it matters and use the right bullets for the task being asked of it

ALSO< keep in mind, MOST all GOOD 10 mm bear loads, are NOT good for use in MANY 10 mm guns, its one of the flaws in the caliber
    I have carried a 10 mm in countless bear encounters from Alaska to PA, and never felt it was a BAD side arm when loaded properly and using correct ammo, in a gun that can handle the right loads!

a good 10 mm load is everything a decent 41 rem mag will be!
    and running from a bear is NEVER a good idea!

old saying also to me comes true, you play with the bull some times you get the horn

run dogs on bears, and sooner or later your asking for a bear to run back at YOU!
    I ain't bashing bear/dog hunters
    but IMO< its asking for troubles sooner or later!
    I don't hunt game that hunts me back...................
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

"Straight Outta Dixieland"

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links