Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree376Likes

Thread: 10mm no good for bears?

Wrangler
    Member #
    and just so you know, NOT all bears are big bad animals out to EAT you
    most want NOTHING to do with you, bear attacks are RARE
    and MOST live thru them
    as a FACT< in PA/s history, 100+ yrs of it, only 1 person has ever been killed by a bear here!

here is a wild one and me> getting along just fine! LOL
    and don't try this either folks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    and just so you know, NOT all bears are big bad animals out to EAT you
    most want NOTHING to do with you, bear attacks are RARE
    and MOST live thru them
    as a FACT< in PA/s history, 100+ yrs of it, only 1 person has ever been killed by a bear here!

here is a wild one and me> getting along just fine! LOL
    and don't try this either folks!
    Reminds me of Timothy Treadwell.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I have two 10 mm's in the stable, but would never be in bear county without a rifle. I just see complacency. Not that I'm perfect in self defense, but I would be a little more careful in that situation.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    If I’m carrying a pistol in bear woods it will not have ammo in it designed for personal defense from people.
    Merle1, Marlinjunkie, mrbb and 3 others like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I'd think it true that when you have dogs aggravating a bear, sooner or later it is going to get aggravated with you. This guy had experience and I for one am impressed with his survival instincts. He held onto his weapon and it eventually saved his life. Just to make it out alive from this, the guy had to be pretty tough. Good story and one to learn from. Packing iron pays, especially with the right bullets.
    V

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I have many Black Bear experiences not from hunting them but from living amongst them on my Eastern NC farm. I am always bear aware when wandering around the farm and yes only carry a 45 or a 44 on my hip. I am not sure if it will kill them or not and hope I never have to find out but makes me feel less vulnerable. For the most part wild bears can smell you before you can ever see them and will avoid human contact at all costs. Since the local yahoos hunt them with dogs they tend to not like dogs and most likely will cause them to be aggressive.

In all of my encounters from 20 yds to 100 yds with some BIG bears I have never had an unpleasant experience but always expect one. I have never had to back down or draw on a bear, we always tend to look one another over and go on our merry way. I am sure one day this will not be the case and I do not go looking for them or try and get selfies with them. I also know that certain bears DO NOT like their pictures taken as to proof of them destroying about 8 of my game cameras in the last year.

I have also seen bears hyped up on adrenaline after being shot and go a 100 yds or more without a heart, so they have a strong will to live. So as the same with people bears can have different personalities and bad hair day but in my experience avoid humans. I always consider it a woodsman skill to get a close encounter with a bear as they have a great sense of smell.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

8. 08-09-2019, 09:08 AM

Contributing Member

Reason
    Double post

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I did stop a charging black bear once, up close, a Rem 760 30-06, it was fast and no contest. After going thru many woods carry handguns, which have never been used for the intended purpose of bear defense, found my self settled in on a Glock 29 10 mm, mostly because it is light and compact. No great illusions of great stop power, probably adequate, keep it loaded with hot loaded 180 gr hardball mixed with stout hollow points. The article points out, we should never comfortable and feel we can can control a dangerous situation.
    "Should have put more dirt down, saw it right off." Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    I would love to know how many bears that ranger shot with that idea!
    what KILLS a bear is hitting vitals
    Hitting them in the vitals is pretty much a prerequisite for killing anything
    This ranger was considered an expert since he worked in bear country - I think Washington state.
    Since he detailed many encounters and is still alive to discuss them I'd have to say he's likely good at what he does.
    It's not always the case you want to kill the dang bear then have to explain to some rangers why you had to. Some pretty stiff fines if they decide you didn't have to.

I would add that hitting a bear in teh vitals is no guarantee he won't keep coming - many documented cases of that.
    Marlinjunkie, 1Merlin and miket156 like this.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mrguvna View Post
    So as the same with people bears can have different personalities and bad hair day but in my experience avoid humans. I always consider it a woodsman skill to get a close encounter with a bear as they have a great sense of smell.
    When I lived in Chattanooga we backpacked all over the Occoee park. One year they had a she-bear that attacked kids and their mom when they went to the waterfall.
    Given the terrain I always wondered about that dang bear - the slope to get down to the falls was steep! I believe a vacationing family was attacked at Chilhowee as well.
    Here's the story.
    1Merlin and Marlinjunkie like this.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Sidewinder
    Member #
    It’s not a “bad” choice, far better than a rock or club....but, certainly “not” my 1st. choice for a bear encounter! If you are hunting bear, and the shot is at your discretion.....the 10 mm will (with proper bullet selection) will perform adequately! memtb
    mrbb, 1Merlin, graymustang and 1 others like this.
    “You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“Available space.....is wasted case”! memtb

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links