Dad's First Bear Hunt
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Dad's First Bear Hunt

Contributing Member
    Member #

Dad's First Bear Hunt

A story from way back, late 1940's or early 1950's: Dad and his brother were both WWII, Pacific Theater veterans. After both were back home in northern California, they decided to go bear hunting, something they'd never done. Found themselves a couple of guides (also brothers) up farther north in California. Drove up to meet those guys and pulled out their 30-06 hunting rifles.

Fellow asks "What did you bring those cannons for? We just chase the bears with dogs until they tree, then climb up and shoot 'em in the heart with this 22 pistol."

Dad said that it was an interesting couple of days, and he was kind of glad they never found a bear.

Guy

Deadeye
    Member #
    How times and thought processes have changed. Some think you need no less then a .375 H&H these days. Tougher bears now
    Nothing is impossible......for the person that don't have to do it !!

Benefactor Member NRA

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyBadger View Post
    How times and thought processes have changed. Some think you need no less then a .375 H&H these days. Tougher bears now
    Well... I must confess to using my 375 H&H on a few black bears... But, mostly 'cause I thought it was fun.

Guy

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Western Tennessee, close to the Big Muddy - but not TOO close!
    Member #
    M700 -
    Ruark always said to "Use enough Gun" - .375 H&H is enough for near 'bout anything! As long as you can handle the recoil and choose the projectile wisely - IMO you're good to go. Some may feel that's a bit over-gunned for black bear - but the last time I checked, there was only 1 degree of dead!
    I always chose my weapon/caliber with the thought that I needed enough gun to surely kill under the WORST CONDITIONS whatever I was hunting. Shooting under the Best Conditions always took care of itself!

WYT-P
    Skyhunter

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

Dad's First Bear Hunt

Always carry more gun...
    than you think you’re gonna need!
    Last edited by jgriffin1988; 07-18-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    The 375H&H is a powerful rifle but I think it's recoil is a myth started by people who never shot one. In standard Sporters like M70 Win, M700 Rem, Ruger 77, ect the recoil is about the same as a run of the mill 30/06. The extra weight of these rifles offset the recoil. I'm sure some of the new light weights have more kick. That's the trade off. Either you carry 8 or 9lb rig all day to shoot once or you carry a light rifle to shoot once and get kicked. I think the 375H&H is one of the most useful cartridges made. The H&H 300 & 275 magnums were also fine cartridges. They would still be around but Wins series of short magnums able to be built on standard length actions and more velocity run them out of business. The 300H&H held records for years on long distance matches.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyBadger View Post
    At point blank, most any firearm gets the job done. At 200 yds or more, flat trajectory and hard hitting are valuable properties. The 375 with proper bullets shots plenty flat and delivers a heavy payload. The recoil is very manageable in a proper rifle as Drm50 says. It is more of a push.

Anybody who's ever tracked a wounded black bear knows it can make for a long day. Blood trails often vanish after a short distance and bears are tough. They can keep moving even when mortally wounded. My preference is to carry a rifle that will likely anchor the bear. The 375 H&H is a good choice.

T.S.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Point blank? On purpose?!
    Oh, hell no!
    Texas Shooter, no primers and M700 like this.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I've let quite a few guys shoot my 375H&H both at ranges and at camps and everyone of them was amazed at the recoil. They were all expecting broken collar bones. I had a 700Rem 375H&H that had a muzzle break. My dad hated that rifle because of the side blast. He claimed it wasn't a break it was a amplifier. His club had rifle turkey shoot every year open to the public, 100yd shoot. That's the only time he would shoot that rifle. He claimed the blast ran off the competition then he could get serious with a 308.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    The 375H&H is a powerful rifle but I think it's recoil is a myth started by people who never shot one. In standard Sporters like M70 Win, M700 Rem, Ruger 77, ect the recoil is about the same as a run of the mill 30/06. The extra weight of these rifles offset the recoil. I'm sure some of the new light weights have more kick. That's the trade off. Either you carry 8 or 9lb rig all day to shoot once or you carry a light rifle to shoot once and get kicked. I think the 375H&H is one of the most useful cartridges made. The H&H 300 & 275 magnums were also fine cartridges. They would still be around but Wins series of short magnums able to be built on standard length actions and more velocity run them out of business. The 300H&H held records for years on long distance matches.
    I may still have this book laying around somewhere but the title was "Gil Paust's Gun Book". I guesss an early gun writer from the 50's as that's about the time I got the book. By Fawcett press IIRC. One chapter was on the .375 H&H Magnum. According to his story he got one and went hunting Whitetail Deer someplace back east. I think he live back east as well. Anyway, he spots a deer, stands on a snow cover rock no less to see better and takes the shot. Well, the deer dies, he's knocked on his butt off the rock due probably it being slippery and poor footing and when landing on the ground get a bunch of snow dropped on him. His forst words? "WOW! What a kick!". I'm thinking I was maybe 12 YO at the time I read it and along about the time I was maybe 18 got a chance to shoot the .375 H&H. Mr Paust was full of bovine excrement is all I can say. I only remember one other chapter from the book and it was on the .22 rimfire. Apparently some kids were at a zoo and decided to see if a .22 would penetrate an elephants hide. The next day the zookeepers found the elephant dead. The autopsy said the .22 penetrated intop one of the elephants lungs and that's what killed him. True story? Damned if I know but my opinion of that probably now long dead writer is he a so full of BS he would know the truth if it bit him on the butt.
    Sad to say but I think my .338 Win. Mag. kicks a lot harder than my .375 H&H, a Number One like Guy's.
    Paul B.
    M700 and Drm50 like this.
    COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMOROM PROMULGATED BY MORONS!
    WHAT GOOD FORTUNE FOR GOVERNMENT THAT THE PEOPLE DO NOT THINK!....Adolf Hitler
    Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
    MOLON LABE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links