Dad's First Bear Hunt - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Dad's First Bear Hunt

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Ya, I was pleasantly surprised when I got the 375 about 10 years ago. To me, the kick is kind of like a "big push" rather than a hard, sharp rap.

I imagine I'd think differently if I had a real lightweight 375 H&H though.

Took a younger couple to the range last year. She'd never shot, he hadn't shot in several years, and nothing bigger than a 30-30 rifle. They were both shooting my 375 Number One and enjoying it within an hour of getting to the gun club.

She started with the Marlin 39A, ran through two tubes of ammo. Moved up to the 30-30 Glenfield. Got a bit of a surprised look on her face when she shot the first one - then you could see it all "click." And suddenly she went through a bunch of my 30-30 ammo... Then she started looking at the bigger rifles and wanted to try the 375... Well, she'd handled the other rifles just fine, and the 375 was no problem at all. I was impressed. An hour into her shooting career and she'd shot the 375 H&H Magnum and had done well with it, with no complaints.

Guy

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I think you are right about the 338 in #1. My high school chemistry teacher bought one for a Elk hunt he was going on in the fall. He was a small guy and it was rattling him pretty good. Before the end of summer he traded it off on a 700Rem 7mm mg. I shot his 338 but the only one I ever owned was a M70 Win. Never hunted one.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I have several rifles that kick harder than my 375 H&H including my 375 Ruger and definitely my Remington 700 in 338 RUM. That 338 RUM is rougher than my 458 WinMag and 458 Lott , both Ruger 77 Safari Magnums. Those faster cartridges also have a quicker peak in recoil. The "slower" rounds like the H&H seem to spread the recoil impulse over a longer period producing the "push" sensation.

T.S.
    M700 likes this.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I've had so decent kicking rifles but in my keepers my pre 64 m70fw 308 is probably the worst. When I was in service a DI fired a M14 off his face to show the recoil was nothing to worry about. He must have done it all the time and learned how to move his head with recoil. I wasn't impressed I knew M14 was heavy and soaked up some of the recoil. I had had the 70fw since I was 14 and knew it was a "trick", for all I know he may have used a down loaded cartridge. Anyway a few weeks later some of us got stuck on guard duty up at White Sands over the weekend. Some guys that lived off base had their vehicles there and would bring guns to fool around plinking to kill the time. 308s were popular because we could swipe all the GI ammo we could shoot. One guy had a 788 in 308 he picked up in a pawn shop in El Paso. He did the fire off the face trick only it didn't work for him. After we peeled his nose loose from his face there were two black eyes under it.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Wrangler
    SW Michigan next to a picked soybean field
    Member #
    Don't own a 375H&H but have shot one. Off the bench I was all tensed up waiting for the recoil but was surprised when it kicked less than my 700 in 30-06 with a plastic buttplate. It was a ss Browning A-bolt with the Boss system and a rubber recoil pad. If I had need of a 375H&H I'd buy one just like it.
    M700 and Texas Shooter like this.
    Team 444 #741
    Team 30-30 #1338
    Team 303 #40
    Team 60 #422
    Team wheelguns #101

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Black bears are easier to kill than grizzlies. I 30-30 is just fine. A griz can get a hankerin to get you back. A 30-06 just to make sure. My son shot a blackie this spring with his bow at 15 yards. The bear got up and looked back at my son. My son grabbed the Springfield XDS 45 out of his pocket. The bear charged. He shot twice the first shot missed the second he hit between the eyes at 8ft. The bear landed on his bow.
    The bear was old, his teeth were worn down, the canines were rounded.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jpickar View Post
    Black bears are easier to kill than grizzlies. I 30-30 is just fine. A griz can get a hankerin to get you back. A 30-06 just to make sure. My son shot a blackie this spring with his bow at 15 yards. The bear got up and looked back at my son. My son grabbed the Springfield XDS 45 out of his pocket. The bear charged. He shot twice the first shot missed the second he hit between the eyes at 8ft. The bear landed on his bow.
    The bear was old, his teeth were worn down, the canines were rounded.
    Seems like your son had one heck of an adventure! Good job!

For me, bear hunting has a little spice to it, 'cause they can surely turn the tables.

Guy
    jpickar and jgriffin1988 like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    The bear skull w/ extra hole tells all.
    M700 and jgriffin1988 like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links