Bear Rifle, what's your choice? - Page 4
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree722Likes

Thread: Bear Rifle, what's your choice?

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Depends if you are doing it for sport and fun or for the table. Everytime I go deer hunting with along range gun I see them up close. And when I bring a short range gun they are 300+ away. All are stellar cartridges and platforms! So put a vernier tang sight on the 45-70 and get to practicing out there!
    Drm50, jgriffin1988, M700 and 7 others like this.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    I've never "officially" hunted for bear but I did kill one back in 1959 with a .38 Spl. revolver. Long story short, a college age church youth group on a 4th of July camp out near Yosemite national Park. A bear came into camp and dragged a young lady out of her tent and I shot it twice behind the ear. Gun was an S&W 38/44 Outdoorsman shooting a 158 gr. cast bullet over IIRC 11.5 gr. of H2400 powder. As we were not exactly sure if we were barely inside or or actually out of the Park, my girl friend and I broke camp and camped elsewhere.

Paul B.
    Nicely done!

Wrangler
    Member #
    My 1st choice would be my .444 but I am on the east coast and would not be seeing bear more than 100-200 yds away. If I needed a little more distance, I'd go for my CVA V2 Scout in .35 Whelen. During deer season, I tend to go for rifles that I have not taken a deer with yet first and then cycle through them. So, if I were you, I would probably take the 45-70.
    Team 444 #708
    Team .35 #660
    Team .22 Mag #173
    Team 60 #403
    Team Glenfield #89

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Sometimes they go straight down and a lot of times they roll, get back on their feet and take off.

I shot a nice boar in Northern Alberta once with my 376 Steyr. He rolled with the shot, gained a foothold and dashed into the bush. I knew I hit him good with a 270 grain Hornady Spire Point - 4,000+ ft. Pounds at muzzle. As I always do whether it's bear, deer or any other mammal, I stayed put and lit a cigar. Sure enough, in a short amount of time I heard the "Death Moan". I knew I had him and I felt pretty sure I could find him.

Against better judgement, I headed out to find him. Before long, I came up on him stone dead. "Wow! What a beauty" I thought. I pulled some toilet paper out of my pocket and tied it on a branch over the bear. I then set out to return to where my guide was to pick me up around midnight. We were far enough North that it never got completely dark. After walking very confidently for a longer time than it should have taken, I realized I was lost!

The good news is, I didn't panic but, I was pretty uneasy about the situation. Here I was in thousands of acres of thick forest with no fences and full of bears and wolves. I had plenty of ammo but no cell service. So, I decided to walk a bit further and pay close attention to where I was starting from incase I needed to return. I didn't want to get even further away from where I should've waited for the guide. As I slowly moved through the thick brush and deadfall, I noticed the sky was a little lighter in one direction. Could that be the clearing we had driven to before walking to where I was to hunt? I remembered noticing a pipeline sign in that clearing along with another sign. I felt pretty sure I could determine if it was the right clearing, if it is a clearing at all. So I walked toward the lighter sky hoping for the best.

Luckily, it was the clearing. I was saved! - sorta. Now I would have to wait a couple hours for the guide watching bears and wolves. lol I stood in the middle of clearing, rifle at ready. The pickup finally arrived. I told my guide I had killed a nice bear. He said "Great, where is it?" I said, "you show me where you left me and I'll show you the bear.

We had a heck of a time getting that bear out of the forest. We tried carrying it on a pole with its feet tied around it but, we couldn't get far in the brush and the deadfall. Since it was in the wee hours of morning, the other guides were in camp. I stayed with the bear while my guide went to camp to get help, chain saws and a quad. It was a great adventure.

He's now in our Hill Country bedroom watching over me while I sleep.

T.S.
    Last edited by Texas Shooter; 07-11-2019 at 05:10 PM.
    jgriffin1988, Drm50, M700 and 10 others like this.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

Banned
    Member #
    I’d use my scoped 8mm German Mauser w/Sierra 180 gr GK hand loads.Same thing I’d use for elk.Now,for brown bear or Alaskan moose I might go to 195 gr or 220 gr Sierra GK

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    It's all fun and games till you pull the trigger. Then the work starts. The last few years even deer hunting I passed up some nice bucks because of where there were. It has to be trophy material before I pull the trigger in the deep hollows in these parts. Only way to get them out is by drag, to a point you can get 4 wheeler to them. I've been in on some misrable drags that weren't my kills.
    The worst I ever did was shoot a moose in 31/2' of water with nearest acess by land 6 mi. Ended up having to bring canoe in from upstream. Had to drag it around several falls. That was the easy part. Had to do the same thing going down stream with canoe full of moose. I was in my 20s at the time. If that happened today I would camp there till I ate it.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    In my Area I would Opt for My .356 Big Bore 94 with 220 gr Speer Flat points Backed by 51grs BLC2.
    356.jpg
    Quick Handling, and more than Sufficient for any Bear I am likely to encounter here in Georgia.
    I have seen Black Bears near here in the past 15 Years, but never in the woods during Hunting Season
    All Close Range Shooting here for the Most Part.
    The other Option for Bear would be My Browning 1886 SRC in 45-70 with healthy handloads in the 400 gr range at around 1650 fps.
    4570.jpg
    Last edited by Daltond; 07-11-2019 at 06:03 PM.
    My Avatar is in Honor of my Great-Great Grandfather, Brig/Gen Dudley M. DuBose.
    Flag is the Sole surviving Battle Flag of the 15th Ga Infantry Regt..
    Commandant (Col.) 1861-63

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I also have never officially hunted bear, however in the ADK Mountains where I hunt I usually have a .45-70 or .35 Rem. Pretty confident either would get the job done. The one Black Bear taken out of my camp was by an uncle with his .300 Win Mag. Coincidently I saw about a 50-60 lb cub yesterday on the road near my camp too.
    Life/Endowment member NRA--New York State Rifle and Pistol Association Member
    Semper Fi

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    It's all fun and games till you pull the trigger. Then the work starts. The last few years even deer hunting I passed up some nice bucks because of where there were. It has to be trophy material before I pull the trigger in the deep hollows in these parts. Only way to get them out is by drag, to a point you can get 4 wheeler to them. I've been in on some misrable drags that weren't my kills.
    The worst I ever did was shoot a moose in 31/2' of water with nearest acess by land 6 mi. Ended up having to bring canoe in from upstream. Had to drag it around several falls. That was the easy part. Had to do the same thing going down stream with canoe full of moose. I was in my 20s at the time. If that happened today I would camp there till I ate it.

I got a good laugh out of that line!!!

T.S.
    bwills80, capt greg, M700 and 5 others like this.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    A few years back on last day of Ohio Deer we had a crew of about 20. It was tag filling day for eating deer. I gave the young guys the speech about not shooting spikes and does in the deep hollows. We were hunting a place called Ravens Rocks . 80' Limestone break necks. The hollow has massive overhanging ledges were its said the pre Indian Hopewell people lived. I was last man down walking the rim. The guys on top the ridge jumped 10 or 12 deer. They all came down the hill and turned and ran the rim. Except one. It ran out on a overhang that had one little cedar, like the cliff you see Beetle Bailey hanging on in the comics. The deer froze and was shaking hunched up. I had no intention of shooting it. Blam, one of the young guys above me shot it. Over the clift it went, sounded like broken glass when it went through the ice on the creek below. The kid came down and ask me how are we going to get it out? I said what do you mean we? It was only a 1/4 mile to head of hollow where there was a township road buy 4 of them had a hell a job fishing it out of the creek and dragging it up out of that hollow. Four kids got educated that buck fever has side effects.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links