Bear Rifle, what's your choice? - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree493Likes

Thread: Bear Rifle, what's your choice?

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    For this thick cover, it's the same we hunt deer in, I like one of my 35s. In Ontario & Quebec can be one extreme to the other. A good 30/06 or 308 is probably the sensible choice. I have found that if you pack a long range magnum banking on long shots your average shot will turn out to be 25yds. The opposite is true if you use a LV rifle. I always take two rifles to Canada and try to match it to the cover. The thing is you have to move through thick stuff to get to tops of ridges where you have open terrain. These are the spots you can see a bear in a clearing or lake shore. That's why a 30/06 or 308 class is the best all around for the job.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Contributing Member
    Member #
    My vote is for the Ruger No.1. Yours just happens to be in .375 H&H which I think will be plenty of gun. With the 260 gr or 270 gr bullets trajectory will be very close to the .30/06 165 gr. bullet.

For what it is worth I use a No. 1 in a .338/06 with 225 gr. bullets.

If you had a No.1 in .30/06 that would be ideal. I think that would be a good excuse to buy another rifle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Old men with Garands do not panic.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I never was one to follow the crowd. My main bear & moose gun for Canada was a 375H&H Sako. I know it was more than needed but I liked it. Was in a hotel bar in Quebec with some locals and conversation turned to rifles. One guy rolled a 280 Ross out across the table another a 303 Brit and were arguing about killing power on bears. I rolled out a 375H&H. It stopped the argument but I never did learn what they were calling me in French.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I never was one to follow the crowd. My main bear & moose gun for Canada was a 375H&H Sako. I know it was more than needed but I liked it. Was in a hotel bar in Quebec with some locals and conversation turned to rifles. One guy rolled a 280 Ross out across the table another a 303 Brit and were arguing about killing power on bears. I rolled out a 375H&H. It stopped the argument but I never did learn what they were calling me in French.
    Now that's funny!

Guy

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Holland View Post
    Guy, what range are you likely to be shooting at and will you have somebody with another rifle and if so what Gar.
    Last black bear I shot, three years ago. Used the 30-06, made a one-shot kill at about 325 yards.

And tracked down and killed a bear wounded by another hunter in 2013. Shot it at about 15 feet... That was a little "hairy" pardon the pun. I could hear the bear moving and breathing, but couldn't see it in the thick brush. Finally got a glimpse of it, and shot it with the 375 H&H single shot Ruger. I don't think I've ever reloaded it that fast before!

So - ya - can be a longish shot, or very close... I don't normally carry a sidearm when I'm hunting deer, elk or bear. Sometimes though, I'll have the 44 mag revolver with me. The rifle is enough. Normally hunt them with my youngest son. He's one heck of a shot and usually has his 30-06 though last time out for bear, he carried the 30-30 Glenfield:

Guy

Deadeye
    Member #
    I saw your scouting photos with the jeep and trailer attached, very nice. From the 3 rifles you have listed, and seeing the country you are hunting in, I would have to go with the 30-06. If you were wanting to give the lever action the work you would have to commit to stalking across areas without much cover at times to get within the 200 yards you have shot the rifle in, which could be very challenging seeing the terrain. If you are able to take 2 bears I would say the 30-06 for the first one, then challenge yourself by only using the lever action for the second...

Sidewinder
    Member #
    as a lefty and for a close incounter with a bear I would use my rem 7600 in 35 whelen with receiver sights and 225 gr bullets at 2500 fps. very fast repeat shots if needed.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Nice pics. Thanks.
    M700, jgriffin1988 and Reload like this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I know a Canadian who shoots a lot of black bear. He lives in Black Bear country and he swears by 350Rem mag. He shoots them all off bags of rotting fish. He is shooting from average 50yds and claims he has never had to shoot one twice. Back in 70s he was known to supply hides to the git's who sat in cabin all week playing cards & getting drunk.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    No contest -375 H&H. As 25/20 says, with the lighter bullets you mentiioned, you will have 30-06 trajectory with more punch. The most effective round I've used on black bear is the 338 RUM pushing 250 grain Swift A Frames. It drops them where they stand.

Great pics Guy! You're our hero. We live vicariously through your adventures.

T.S.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links