Shooting at a running deer. - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree330Likes

Thread: Shooting at a running deer.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatsworth View Post
    I hate to admit it but I missed and missed and missed x 6
    Twice in my lifetime I have fired at a running deer and twice I emptied my rifle and clean missed.

Anyone else?
    Any advice?
    Hum... I can without hesitation report that I have never missed my intended target based on my proficiency and expertise with target acquisition on both moving and stationary objectives.

Just to be clear and a tad bit more precise.... I have a serious concern for COLLATERAL DAMAGE (others is the area performing the same objective) and I DO NOT enjoy wasting ammunition.

Thx for posting~!
    Last edited by Jackel1; 09-14-2019 at 11:51 PM.
    Gareth Holland likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ,

Jackel1
    USMC & LEO - Retired

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Reminds me of a story I heard where a Mexican with a ragged out win 30-30 was riding with a bunch of paid hunters on a ranch in South Texas and they were talking about getting some camp meat for their extended stay and about that time two does ran across the dirt road behind the truck and while moving the Mexican threw up the beat up Win 94 and Bam, Bam both deer fell. The hunters thought this was the best shooting they had ever seen so when back in camp they nailed a target up on a fence post and ask the Mexican to show them how to shoot as well as he did on the does expecting to see a bullseye the Mexican missed the target twice with the old 30-30 showing that it was pure luck that he had hit the does. I have shot at quite a few running deer in my life and killed some and missed some and never took any credit for the ones I killed, just figured I was lucky. A deer running flat out spooked in the woods especially is not a shot I would bet the farm on. I have not had a running shot opportunity in several years but I really do not think I would take it if offered anymore.
    Gareth Holland likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackel1 View Post
    Hum... I can without hesitation report that I have never missed my intended target based on my proficiency and expertise with target acquisition on both moving and stationary objectives.

Just to be clear and a tad bit more precise.... I have a serious concern for COLLATERAL DAMAGE (others is the area performing the same objective) and I DO NOT enjoy wasting ammunition.

Thx for posting~!
    Living proof it's better to be lucky than clever.

Speaking at Kanal D TV's Arena program, Turkey's Prime Minister Erdogan commented on the term "Moderate Islam", often used in the West to describe AKP and said, "These descriptions are very ugly, it is offensive and an insult to our religion. There is no moderate or immoderate Islam. Islam is Islam and that’s it."
    Source: Milliyet, Turkey, August 21, 2007

Allah FUBAR!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    At my age and with glasses, I would not try one walking. I fired Expert with an M16 but the target was stationary.
    Be right real still!

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I would suggest Quick Kill for those wanting to learn to shoot moving targets with a rifle or pistol. Army used the system of training in
    Vietnam era. A Daisy BB gun with no sights was used to hit hand thrown target discs in the air. It transitioned into shooting m16 with a adapter rod that blocked sights on pop up targets. It's based on eye to target coordination. I never have done it but thinking about it most of the deer I have shot in thick cover on the jump were less than 50yds and I probably could have killed them without sights. I'm also one that when shooting offhand over 100yds will be looking for something to rest against. When you get into 100yd + then you have to allow for leed. I wouldn't shoot at a running deer that far but would a walking one. Those are few and not the norm in areas I hunt.

Here in Ohio when we were slug only the majority of deer were shot moving by stand & drive hunting. Most under 50yds. I really don't mean Ohio as a whole because the biggest part of it is flat and I think they stand hunt more than us hill billies. Another popular method is having a modified type drive & stand. Guys take up stands overlooking known crossings and others will slow stalk. Deer put up this way are sneaking out of the area and not on dead run. They can hesitate if not being pressed and give a stationary shot. You have to have a good crew to hunt this way because nobody knows exactly where other guys are at. Only shots that are 100% safe are taken.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Mop
    Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by horseshoe View Post
    I have not had a running shot opportunity in several years but I really do not think I would take it if offered anymore.
    I haven't had a running shot lately either but depending on the circumstance I might take it. Last year I had a deer get almost across an opening before I noticed and was able to get on him just as he was about to enter the brush. He was moving at a brisk walk/trot.
    Member Christ's Army
    NRA Life Member
    Team 45-70 #1233
    Team 35 #537
    Team 30-30 #1026

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Never had a problem on deer 50 yards or less. Done it for years. Still about the best shot with the people I rabbit hunt with, don't miss them often with the shotgun.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Don't shoot at running deer. Wait for a good clean shot. Every deer I've shot has dropped right in his tracks. I've never had to track a deer after I shoot one.

My neighbor lost two deer within a week of each other. The first one he shot with an arrow. Decent blood trail, but lost the deer because it was raining lightly, just enough to wash away the blood trail as it got dark outside. Then a week later, shot another deer during muzzle loader season. Dropped that deer, but it managed to get back up and take off, never to be found again.

Shot placement is everything, and that means you might have to pass on a deer every once in a while.
    Team 375 #103, Team 32 Special #97, Team 30-30 #768, Team 45-70 #1431, Team 35 #433, Team Glenfield #70, Team Mitchell #59
    Retired Army, Light Infantry (20 years) - 1986-1990, 1997-2013, Team .375 Captain, Team Glenfield Co-Captain

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Dropped a running deer one time (range was about 60 yards) with a traditional percussion shooting a patched .440 roundball.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Lost one I should have had shooting running. Don't do it often enough to be good at it so I will not do it again. Loss was a waste as I shoudl have been able to get the deer but being older has other disadvantages beside shooting ability. Do just fine if they are standing or at a slow walk.

DEP

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links