Shooting at a running deer. - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree330Likes

Thread: Shooting at a running deer.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I won’t. Unless they are still I don’t take the shot. But I hate tracking deer and every time I shot a deer that was even walking slowly I had to track it (usually less than 100yrs but where I hunt that 100yrds can feel like 5 miles). A friend of a friend does population control somewhere down south of a farm for deer and all they shoot is running/driven deer. So those guys can hit a running deer at 100+ Yards across a field and get a clean kill every time. But they have been practicing and doing it for years
    - team 375 member 111
    - team 38-55 co-captain
    - team semi-auto member 68
    - team wheelgun member 104
    - team 35 member 753

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I kind of compare a shot on a full on running deer to a shot at 600 yards. Neither are easy to do. They make it look easy on TV but they never show the missed shots.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I try not too! Makes adrenaline go through meat and makes them tough to eat!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have only done it as a followup shot. It worked for me but I would not make it a practice now that I am older and practice less. I haven't even rabbit hunted in 40 years but at one time I could hit s running rabbit with a 22.
    Team 35 member #31 - Team 45/70 member #70
    Team 30/30 Member #117 - Team 375 member #39
    Team 22 Mag. Member #014 - Team 32 spl #167
    Team Wheelgun #21

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Wouldn’t do it and have taught my kids never to do it. I get crap from some people about the way I hunt though. I only gave my kids one bullet to hunt with. They’ve learned that the first shot is the only shot that counts. If you can’t make that first shot count than don’t take it. Shooting at a running deer is a bad practice in my book and would never do it, but to each their own.
    Team 39 #474, Team 60 #445, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #163, Team 22 Magnum #172
    Team Glenfield #85, Team 30-30 #1370, Team 32 Special #162, Team 35 #749, Team 444 ​#761
    Team 45/70 #1831, ​Team Marlin Express

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    IMO WE OWE THE ANIMALS, a quick clean kill...
    What this country needs is a department of common sense!
    Team 22 Magnum # 46
    Team Old Pharts # 235
    Team Wheel gun # 74
    Team 22 bolt action # 5
    Team 60 # 511

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I've killed a lot of game on the run. But, I grew up shooting waterfowl and pass shooting doves. Plus, as a kid , I would drop grackles
    after school as they flew overhead
    from the rice fields to their roost. I can get on target with a low powered (4X or below) quicker than using iron sights and I shoot with both eyes open. I grew up making running shots and still do under the right circumstances.

And not just on local game. I have taken lots of game on paid hunts (Africa & Canada) where a wounded animal counts as a kill and the hunter pays regardless. As Dirty Harry said, " A man's gotta know his limitations". The day will come when I can't do it anymore.

My hunting buddy is a crack shot - better than me- but, he can't make the running shots. He didn't grow up wing shooting.

T.S.
    birdshot, oh-behi, Vooch and 8 others like this.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    For running deer, I'd recommend a 12 bore loaded with 000 or 00 and be close enough for it to be effective. A good side by side double gun is all you'd need.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Practice. A lot. Otherwise, grunt or doe call. It really does work most of the time. Sometimes a fawn bleat works too. But let's be honest, if you took a $10 roll of quarters with you to your stand/blind/still hunt...shot a deer that was DRT or Dead Right Over There (20-40yds as deer will do sometimes) would you then throw all the quarters 360deg? Of course not. I bet you wouldn't do it if you missed the deer. I expect to hit the deer, every time. One time, I only took one round. Of course that time, of the pair, one dropped and the other stood around stamping and snorting trying to get his lady to quit loafing around and napping. Finally got tired and shouted at him. So...always take two. I do mostly hunt in a semi-suburban or adjoined farm type environment so, I really don't need a full mag, etc.

I about fall out of the chair laughing when I hear BANG..BANG.

BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG

Which shot did they think was going to be THE one after the first two?!

I got two 20ga slugs as a kid. It was a H&R break action with a peep sight and shots were rarely over 50yds. If they were running, the cover was too thick and a shot would have been harder than threading a needle with your toes. I'm ok at rabbit and trap/skeet shooting but that is with a shotgun. I loved tossing the spare yellow shell back to my Dad. Can't imagine walking up to him with a giant smile and a double arm load of plastic hulls. Fact...I wouldn't have done that.
    New to Marlins but already got the bug. Dammit. And now I went and caught some reloading.

1894 .357
    1894 .44 #426

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Well,

I've killed a lot of game on the run as well, deer, coyote and you name it to be honest. Shot a coyote on the run with a 50 cal muzzle loader last year, done that twice actually. I've been shooting/hunting since I was kid, 45 years, always use a scope, usually a 50mm, and always set to pretty high power: 6-7 on a 3-9X50. Everything from a muzzle loader to a 7mm magnum and always IN the woods, usually fairly clear woods.

All of this usually makes most scratch their head! I do what others say makes NO SENSE: high mag scope, running game. But, it works for me and works regularly. I've never had trouble getting game in my scope and at that higher magnification.... when I do.... I'm ON HIM!! I aim for the FRONT edge of the running game and usually hit in the kill zone unless I tag a tree, done that too! ...several times.

I can't teach you, but I just described what works for me. Your mileage may vary.

Another thing....when game is ALREADY on the run, if you shoot, GO LOOK!!!! Often you will hit in the kill zone and never know it. The game will keep hauling butt like you were shooting at air: NO SIGNS of being hit. But, if you search a little, more often than not, you'll find blood and the game off 100+ yards out of sight.

Whats funny.... I've never killed a deer with a shotgun, running or not, always a rifle. I never deer hunt with a shotgun.
    Team 60 #324
    Team .22 Magnum #114
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #102
    Team Wheelguns #54
    Team 700 #5
    Team Semi-Auto #41
    Team Henry #106

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links