Marlin Followers Offered
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Marlin Followers Offered

Supporting Vendor
    Member #

Marlin Followers Offered

On our site we offer both brass and stainless steel followers and people often want to know which is better. The truth is that it is really a matter of personal preference. The two materials produce very similar performance in the application of a magazine follower in a Marlin lever gun.

It is true that brass on the steel magazine tube does slide more easily than a stainless follower, but the movement of the follower is small. The advantage provided due to lower friction of the brass follower is negligible compared to the stainless steel follower since there is such a little amount of movement in a magazine follower's operation. A brass follower also looks similar to a cartridge and makes it difficult to determine if you are out of ammo or not. Slightly more care might be needed for a brass follower since over time brass will tarnish while stainless holds up to corrosion very well.

There is not a large amount of friction between the follower and magazine tube created during typical use of the rifle. It is not a fast moving, excessively dynamic action, but over time and through heavy use, the parts will wear. Brass might have a slight advantage over stainless steel followers since the brass is softer than the steel of the magazine tube; therefore, the brass follower will fail before the magazine tube. This will likely only be an issue over the long term and through heavy of cycling many rounds of ammunition. Adequate lubrication in the magazine tube will also prevent excessive wear between the follower and mag tube.

I personally use brass followers in my rifles because I like the smoothest action possible. However, it is really personal preference after weighing the differences related to corrosion resistance, mechanical operation, and visibility. Either way, a brass or stainless follower far exceeds the quality and reliability of a factory plastic part. The plastic followers are subject to rapid wearing and large thermal expansion and contraction in extreme temperatures.

The high quality and reliability of the Marlin lever guns should not be undermined by a cheap plastic follower. Whether you choose brass or stainless, replacing the plastic follower or upgrading from a carbon steel one will add to the overall performance of the firearm. We also try to stay away from aluminum since it has a tendency to oxidize and corrode. LINK to OUR FOLLOWERS HERE

IMG_5808.PNG
    Last edited by beartoothmercantile; 09-14-2019 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Fixed broken link
    Scorpiusb, ere, rob42049 and 2 others like this.
    Lever actions are our focus, but other accessories too.
    www.beartoothmercantile.com
    [email protected]
    307-222-6004

Tinhorn
    Member #
    trying all day long to contact you people..... voicemail, phone calls, emails.... and no returns... what gives !?

Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    What can I help you with? Email to [email protected] for quickest response. Nice thing about email is that I can respond in the evenings if needed; can't always do that with phone calls.

Thanks
    [email protected]
    307-222-6004

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I left emails..... no response

BHN and Over All Length of bullet .35 250 LFNGC

If you click on details an error comes up..

ooops different company than beartooth cast bullets...sorry
    Last edited by slickrem; 08-06-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by slickrem View Post
    I left emails..... no response

BHN and Over All Length of bullet .35 250 LFNGC

If you click on details an error comes up..

ooops different company than beartooth cast bullets...sorry
    Well, there you go, you've been calling and emailing the wrong company!
    6'x8' two man rooms with toilets. 23 Years in a Federal Penitentiary

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I just received one of your saddle rings. my fathers 94 winnie was missing one. it looks great thanks.

Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 94win30wcf View Post
    I just received one of your saddle rings. my fathers 94 winnie was missing one. it looks great thanks.
    You are welcome; thanks for the purchase and feedback!
    [email protected]
    307-222-6004

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    The brass magazine follower in the 1894 is an essential item. Natural lubricity between brass and steel gives the smoothest operation. If you do nothing else to your 1894, change out that plastic follower.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rob42049 View Post
    The brass magazine follower in the 1894 is an essential item. Natural lubricity between brass and steel gives the smoothest operation. If you do nothing else to your 1894, change out that plastic follower.
    Certainly agree with you there!
    rob42049 likes this.
    [email protected]
    307-222-6004

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I have a Beartooth Saddle Ring on my Henry H001. First one I ordered was a bit short and would not get enough purchase on the threads. A quick email exchange with BTM and I had the correct one that fit perfectly. No complaints with BTM and happy customer here.

I am not a paid spokesman for Beartooth nor am I associated with them in any way. Just a satisfied customer. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!
    Marlin 336W .30-30 - Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter U'cover .38 Spc - M'berg Mav88 - M'berg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage RR.22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever .22LR - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)
    == USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team = NRA = Tx LTC ==

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links